Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some scratches on the tail of my CE, which is almost bone stock. Then over the weekend it fell over from it's sidestand (my fault) and put some deep gouges in the tail.

So I was going to paint the rear end myself (have experience), but then I'm thinking the clear is going to be so fresh and bright, AND there is some "poor" body work on the tank from the previous owner. Looks like the tank has been painted, but they didn't do a great job...at least I see all the flaws. The front body work has never been painted.

So here's what I'm thinking...

It's not like the CE is that collectible...maybe someday, but I'm thinking of giving it a subtle update.

Pick the same green paint, but give it more silver metallic to make it pop a little more, and put 5 or 6 coats of clear on everything to give it depth, then wetsand and polish the whole bike out like glass.

When I do the bodywork, including filling the front blinker holes with fiberglass and sand smooth, then pick some nice flush blinkers and drill new holes in the fiberglass to make them look stock.

The stickers are terribly expensive, so I'm thinking of leaving off the rear "digital fuel injection" labels since I don't think they look great anyway. Maybe I'll just get new ones...undecided.

For the tank stickers, probably get new ones instead of painstakingly taping and painting identical "triumph" logos.

For the side "955i DAYTONA" stickers, thinking of taking the same font, but making them larger, and painting them on with a lighter, more subtle grey.

So my point is...I'd like to take the bike, make it a little different but very tasteful. Is this going to "ruin" the CE? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Regarding decals, I've read several posts referencing aftermarket copies of the originals...nowhere near as costly.

Personally, I like stuff that is factory, thats not everyone's cup of tea but for me I like my bike/car to look exactly as it did the day it came out of the showroom. The disclaimer is that I like to think that I don't buy ugly stuff...something you surely didn't do when you bought a Daytona.

My opinion...give her the best paint you can and put the factory replica decals on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not sure I would go with flush mounts. There is no such thing as a good looking one.

I used a subtle change on my turn signals: Buell xb short stalk signals

If you want to see it I can take a picture. They look a million times better than stock and way classier than aftermarket cheesy doodles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to say but anything which is non-standard will detract from the value of a 'collectible'/'classic'. Even repainting exactly the same colour could detract...

However, IMHO there's no bike which cannt be improved. Sounds like you have got some sweet ideas, and you are very lucky to be able to do it all yourself. So, go do it I say!

·
Registered
94 Posts
This all relies on the idea that at some point you are going to sell it. It's one thing to have a "collectible" but if your worried about it's value then your concern for other people "perceived" value of your bike hints that you may one day sell it to another.

Remember, regardless of an items worth it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If however, you have no intention on selling your bike then just go for it.

But to be honest I don't think your value will go down if you sell it. Look at a car auction of old 50' - 70's classic. ALL of them have been repainted. But that doesn't stop them from selling for 6 digits.

The only advice I can give you is to do what feels right and don't worry about whether or not other people will think you "ruined" your collectible bike by giving it an A class paint job. If you open your garage door and say to yourself "Damn that's a hot bike", then you did good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, that's what I was looking for cause I'm kind of on the fence with what I want to do.

Everyone that sees the bike wants to know what it is and likes it's understated style. I like the dark green and flowing lines. I HAVE to paint the rear end of it, so maybe I'll do that, replace the decals and see what it looks like. If the color matches perfect, then maybe I'll leave it alone. The tank looks like someone did someone sanded it down in areas with 220 grit and painted then cleared over it. Maybe I can just put a few coats of just clear on the tank and then wetsand it down...the clear might fill in the imperfections enough.

Thanks again, I'll post some pics when I start working on it.

And...one more thing, I don't plan on selling it ever. It's too perfect of a bike for the type of riding I do. Maybe if a new 1050 Daytona came out with similar ergos, but I'm really happy with this bike..perfect for long rides, useable power, very rare out here...I've never seen another one, so it's got everything I want. Just need to get a pipe and power commander at some point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chronos27, It's your CE, do what you want. Follow the link for the paint code:
http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/2046.aspx

A stock WRX...surely you jest!

Brad
Thanks for the paint code! Hadn't looked for it yet, but this saves me a step!

Yeah, the WRX is stock...had some plans for it, but I know myself, once I get started it won't ever stop and my finances can't handle it. Besides, it's more of a battleax. It is just over 3 years old with 90k. I've driven it all over the country, Florida, Colorado, Mexico, California, the west...the southeast, never had one problem other than lightbulbs and tires. I used to dive a lot in Florida and it towed my 17' Key West boat without a problem, so it was more like an AWD work vehicle, not a performance car...worked great on slippery ramps.

It's getting a little long in tooth to start modding it. Next car I get I'll get a WRX with a more powerful engine...it has to come soon right? Or an Sti. I don't do that much driving anymore, so I wouldn't rack them up like I did on this one. Probably hand it down to my stepson and let him mess with it..

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
chronos27, A STi would be my choice. Once the all wheel drive cars showed up in SOLO2 my Mustangs bacame obsolete.

Brad

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm not sure I would go with flush mounts. There is no such thing as a good looking one.

I used a subtle change on my turn signals: Buell xb short stalk signals

If you want to see it I can take a picture. They look a million times better than stock and way classier than aftermarket cheesy doodles.
What you trying to say dude:mad: dont like my flushmounts, you think my bikes cheesy, Have not seen anything I like better, LOL, Doodles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What you trying to say dude:mad: dont like my flushmounts, you think my bikes cheesy, Have not seen anything I like better, LOL, Doodles.

I'll put up a pic tomorrow of it....

I think you might like it, though it looks like you wanted a VSTROM and not a daytona lol hahaha

I kidd, I kidd...... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts