Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got back from a deployment. I've been doing everything I can to get employment WITHOUT going back to my former employer. I just knew I could do better.

As national guard, I have the ability to get full time, temporary employment with the state training people who are about to go down range, so I called these people up to see what they could do. Well, that went slowly. SO, I made the decision to just go on another deployment. I went and filled out gobs of paperwork and had to speak with a counselor about why I'd be dumb enough to try to go on another one 5 months after getting back. Ok, I'm good to go there.

Ok, ok. So all that aside, I get a divorce. BAM. All my savings is gone! Woooosh.

SO, now I'm desperate. I call my former employer. I get a call just today that they have a job for me. It involves going out of town for two nights a week. The dogs'll have to sleep outside, but I've got their food taken care of.

BUT, here's the downside: I'm locked into this second deployment in April. AND they are having to lay a guy off to get me back on. I haven’t felt this bad in years. Should I tell them?

If I tell the employer that I'll be there for only a few months, they may find a reason to get rid of me (as Texas is an "at will," state). If I don’t, they'll have laid this other guy off and I'll be gone again in just a few months.

I feel like I need to look out for myself first, but I've never been put in this sort of situation.

What would YOU do??

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
I thought that federal law requires an employer to take you back after you are deployed. :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that federal law requires an employer to take you back after you are deployed. :confused:
And it does. Maybe I wasnt clear. I even re-read before I hit send.

The problem is not that the employer wont take me back. It's a kind of moral issue.

See, for me to go back, they are laying someone off.

I KNOW perfectly well that I will only be there for a few months before being deployed again.

However, I fear that if I tell them this, they may try to find a reason to get rid of me. Ya know? "Man, if this guy is going to be gone all the time, we dont want him around!" kind of thing.

SO, do I just go on my merry way, knowing that someone is getting the hook so that I may work a few months? Or do I risk telling the employer that I'll only be there 'till April??

-David

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts

BUT, here's the downside: I'm locked into this second deployment in April. AND they are having to lay a guy off to get me back on. I haven’t felt this bad in years. Should I tell them?..............

I would tell them, it doesn't relieve them of their responsibilities to you but it puts the onus on them and you have done the right thing. At least if they take you back which they should they can say to the other guy he's back in April if he wants, or keep him on for the 3 months.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
First and foremost, thank you for your service to this nation.
I agree with Tbird, be straight up with your employer, don't hedge, make excuses or waffle. You'll feel better, and your employer will know the facts and be able to deal with them.
All the best, and be safe.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thank you for your service to me.

I would feel morally obligated to tell my employer as soon as possible.

Good luck, and god bless you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you all are probably right. I dont think it would be right to keep them in the dark.

Maybe they'll find a temp position for the other guy instead of letting him go, if they know this.

It's probably a simple choice. I'll call tomorrow and let them know what's going on.

Thanks for the shove in the right direction!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
You've already gotten the good advice, so I'll just add my name to the list of people who are eternally grateful for your service to our nation. You and your brothers are in our prayers.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Dude.. You just got back from deploment..you just went threw a divorce..take some down time to recalibrate. Did you apply for unemployment..? I'm a contractor by trade and i've had guys work for me for ten hours and ten years, i've never judged a guy on that account. I guess it depends on the type of job your in. I've been out of work for six weeks and it will probably be another six weeks before things pick up again . If your planning to be redeployed in April i would take the time to recharge your batteries and clear your head of all the BS. Hang in there .!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thank you all for your input! I did call and tell the company this morning. So far, so good. They are going to keep that guy on instead of laying him off and put me into a temp position for now. We'll readjust if something happens with the deployment.

I feel tons better.

As for the thanks to me, I do appreciate this as well! It's always been a pleasure to serve. Active or Guard, it's just been what I enjoy.

I'm sure glad there are people around that appreciate that!

This thread has really made me smile.

Thanks once again!!

-David

·
Registered
783 Posts
Never forget Nuremberg. Notwithstanding our duty of service to our countries, we all have a moral duty to our fellow human beings. We cannot simply state that we were required to carry out our designated tasks, we must all be aware of the result and effect on others. At the end of the day there is a lot more satisfaction in being decent and poor than being a [email protected]@@t

1 - 16 of 16 Posts