Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Street Triple RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OEM or aftermarket is fine.

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what's going on. My right side LED signals work and my left don't. I've swapped around all 4. All of them have the same resistance. Left side front and back are having the same issue. Right now my bike has the right side LEDs and the left side the stock signals. It looks a little ridiculous...

The left side will work sometimes for maybe 30 seconds then stop but most of the time they work for less than a second and I get the check bulb notification.

I'm totally stumped and losing my mind. They were relatively cheap no name brand so it's not the end of the world and I could get a well known brand or try to source the UK LED signals but I'm a problem solver and this is just killing me to figure it out.

Just for reference mine are reading roughly 6.9 K ohms.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Street Triple RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok... Well maybe nevermind. I just installed the left again and they're working. We'll see if it lasts.

Edit: Nevermind. I had the rear LED and front stock and it was working. Removed front and put on led and front wouldn't work but rear was rapidly flashing. Put front stock back on and rear stoped working. *** is going on?!

·
Registered
2009 Bonneville T100
695 Posts
Are the stock lights incandescent? An incandescent relay will not work with LED's. The flasher instrument panel light circuit is completed through the opposite side indicators, from one side to the other, so this could be a reason it's part working.

·
Registered
2020 Street Triple RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the stock lights incandescent? An incandescent relay will not work with LED's. The flasher circuit is completed through the flash indicator, from one side to the other, so this could be a reason it's part working.
I thought the flashers were all electronic on this bike.

·
Registered
2009 Bonneville T100
695 Posts
Don't know your bike, that's why I asked. Rapid flashing is a symptom of an incandescent relay on LED's. Also could be wrong but think 'globe failure' feature is mainly used on incandescent systems because LED's don't have enough resistance for it to work.

If your bike is indeed LED based from stock then I suspect the OEM indicators have inbuilt globe failure electronics while the aftermarket don't.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
They are controlled from the instruments, have you tried changing the indicator settings, presumably it has the different settings for aftermarket LED's same as other Triumphs.
You'll need to fit all 4 the same, not mix and match, you can't really go off other peoples resistance readings with LED's, its the current that matters.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T100
410 Posts
Just for reference mine are reading roughly 6.9 K ohms.
Measuring the resistance of LEDs is fairly meaningless and can vary dramatically depending on what meter is used. Measuring the (cold) resistance of incandescent lights is also not very useful, since the resistance increases significantly (often over 10X) when they're hot. What you need to know (in either case) is the current draw at 12V.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts