Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
On a serious note, in our own minds, we have a tendency to think we are awesome riders (probably better than we really are). But frankly, when we compare ourselves to truly skilled riders, we should check our egos at the door. Too much bravado can put anyone in a ditch.
I just had a session with Greg/Motojitsu and he has crazy skills/talent, with no pretension in his demeanor. But even more remarkable is his genuine generosity and amazing teaching skills to help all riders get better and stay safe. I encourage any rider to check Greg out at Motojitsu (he is the real deal); we can always improve (Misti and Greg are great proponents).
Stay humble, keep on practicing and ride on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
On a serious note
woah, Woah, WOAH!!!! I never agreed to being serious. And you can't make me😝😝😝

However, please note, I said "look awesome". I know I'm not an awesome rider. Yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In Finland during summer we have sunlight all night, it does'nt get dark, in the northern Finland it can even be sunny trough night. So, midnight sun, zero traffic, good rock in headphones, blasting through the night on my daytona - It is impossible to stay within speed limits, even though I know that we have loads of moose and other big animals that can be around the next corner and anything can happend but the moment just gets me everytime. Stupid maybe, but also a great pleasure.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
On a serious note, in our own minds, we have a tendency to think we are awesome riders (probably better than we really are). But frankly, when we compare ourselves to truly skilled riders, we should check our egos at the door. Too much bravado can put anyone in a ditch.
I just had a session with Greg/Motojitsu and he has crazy skills/talent, with no pretension in his demeanor. But even more remarkable is his genuine generosity and amazing teaching skills to help all riders get better and stay safe. I encourage any rider to check Greg out at Motojitsu (he is the real deal); we can always improve (Misti and Greg are great proponents).
Stay humble, keep on practicing and ride on.
Only recently discovered these Motojitsu videos while in lockdown and think he has some really useful down-to-earth advice for riders of all ages and skill levels, well worth a look.
In fact I've been practicing my body positioning today, I find hanging off the inside of the bike comes very naturally when I'm on my Daytona 675 but just doesn't feel right on the Thruxton, I think it's mainly down to the shape of the tank.
I've been following his method of using almost entirely the upper body, head and shoulder movements to the inside and and pointing your chin towards the exit of the corner, probably not explained that very well :D
I was practicing my foot positioning today after watching one of his videos, if I'm doing any moderate to serious cornering I'll usually be on the balls of my feet on both sides, his tip was too to keep the inside one on the ball of your foot to make it easier to pivot your knee outwards but move the outside leg forward so the footpeg is against your heel, that way your hips and lower body are slightly twisted in the direction you want to move your upper body.
Definitely going to keep practicing that one until it becomes automatic, you don't want to be thinking about too many things as you go into a corner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Only recently discovered these Motojitsu videos while in lockdown and think he has some really useful down-to-earth advice for riders of all ages and skill levels, well worth a look.
In fact I've been practicing my body positioning today, I find hanging off the inside of the bike comes very naturally when I'm on my Daytona 675 but just doesn't feel right on the Thruxton, I think it's mainly down to the shape of the tank.
I've been following his method of using almost entirely the upper body, head and shoulder movements to the inside and and pointing your chin towards the exit of the corner, probably not explained that very well :D
I was practicing my foot positioning today after watching one of his videos, if I'm doing any moderate to serious cornering I'll usually be on the balls of my feet on both sides, his tip was too to keep the inside one on the ball of your foot to make it easier to pivot your knee outwards but move the outside leg forward so the footpeg is against your heel, that way your hips and lower body are slightly twisted in the direction you want to move your upper body.
Definitely going to keep practicing that one until it becomes automatic, you don't want to be thinking about too many things as you go into a corner.
Thanks for adding your comments on improving your technique and body positioning, it's great that you are working on it. I agree that the type of bike is also a factor. I have a Yamaha R6 (my old bike) and a Striple RS (my new bike).
for most street riding (and even fast canyon riding) the Striple's leveraging of the wider bar and more upright riding position does not require as much lower body positioning, as the shift in upper body/higher CG is very effective in initiating smooth counter-steering (the lower body can actually remain very quiet). We rode Otay Lakes several times and this is what Greg demonstrated: You can go real fast without any drama IF you use your vision waay forward, be extremely smooth/ deliberate on your control inputs and use your brakes (use trail braking, they are your friend and gives you much more control/options in any situation).
Greg has incredible control of bikes, he demonstrated trail braking going into a turn, applied braking in the middle of a turn, stopping in the middle of a turn, using braking throughout a turn. His ability to smoothly/deliberately apply the brakes anytime and his seamless, throttle control was remarkable and proved how to be smooth and fast, without the drama of moving all over the bike without excessive motion. Of course on a race track, everything will be pushed accordingly, but he limits of available traction still applies.
We can be overwhelmed with all techniques of riding, better to work on one thing at a time and make it a natural part of our repertoire. I'm in my mid 60s, need to break bad habits; I'm still learning how to ride safer, faster and in more control; still fun after all these years!

·
Registered
44 Posts
In Finland during summer we have sunlight all night, it does'nt get dark, in the northern Finland it can even be sunny trough night. So, midnight sun, zero traffic, good rock in headphones, blasting through the night on my daytona - It is impossible to stay within speed limits, even though I know that we have loads of moose and other big animals that can be around the next corner and anything can happend but the moment just gets me everytime. Stupid maybe, but also a great pleasure.
Ever in or around uusimaa?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, I live 3km outside Uusimaa in Hausjärvi but my workshop and basically all customers are at Uusimaa area so yes, daily.
Small world! I just spend the weekend working on my bike at my wife's mother's garage in Hausjarvi. Just rode home to Järvenpää :)

I'm in Hyvinkaa and Hausjarvi nearly every other weekend. I saw you're building a yellow speedy. If you see a maniac on a black speedy waiving like a mad man stop and have a chat ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Small world! I just spend the weekend working on my bike at my wife's mother's garage in Hausjarvi. Just rode home to Järvenpää :)

I'm in Hyvinkaa and Hausjarvi nearly every other weekend. I saw you're building a yellow speedy. If you see a maniac on a black speedy waiving like a mad man stop and have a chat ;)

Sure will 😂 Mine is actually 98 T595 Daytona with 2003 955i engine but after all the butchering it can't be recognized 😆, my workshop is in Jokela and I live in Monni, about 7km from hyvinkää center.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sure will Mine is actually 98 T595 Daytona with 2003 955i engine but after all the butchering it can't be recognized , my workshop is in Jokela and I live in Monni, about 7km from hyvinkää center.
Hahaha yea I was just looking at some pics! Looks rat though! Love the yellow!
The fam lives in Perä-kerkkola so literally around the corner
Of course jokela I pass when going to Hyvinkää.
Give me a shout when your bike is done, we can meet up for a coffee and ride if you're up for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, i will. Don't know when it will happend though, looks like there is no spare hours in any of my days to work on bike. So I must cut from my few sleeping hours then 🤔😖

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, i will. Don't know when it will happend though, looks like there is no spare hours in any of my days to work on bike. So I must cut from my few sleeping hours then
Very soon there will be no night time anymore, just a 2 month long day! Plenty of spare time left then ;)

121 - 135 of 135 Posts