Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
These probably go together, but forgetting those damn turn signals. I mean, the light is right in front of my face yet I miss it 75% of the time. And second, daydreaming. Sometimes I will snap out of it and realize I just logged a 50 miles with little to no recollection. At least it is relaxing (I think) lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with the turn signals. I read people writing on the forums; "You don't need self cancelling turn signals because all you have to do always turn them off like I always do." I say B.S. to that. I have ridden with a lot of people over the years. Very few, if any people, don't forget once in a while (usually a lot more often than that).
We have all sorts of safety features mandated for bike that people seldom if never use, such as emergency flashers and kill switches. I would think that self-canceling turn signals would be as, if not more important. They would definitely be more used than those others features.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You know, aircraft manufacturers have been sued when pilots ran out of fuel and crashed. I am really surprised that motorcycle manufacturers have not been sued when a rider leaves a turn signal on and a car turns left in front of them because they believed the errant signal. Leaving a turn signal on just invites someone to pull out in front of you. It really is a surprise that self-cancelling turn signals have been an overlooked safety item when much greater expense has been put into abs and traction control devices.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got some ankle high alpine star boots with laces and the velcro ankle strap. I would tie them and the took the on the inside of my leg in the boot. Once found out that they had come out of the top of the boot when pulling away in traffic while trying to change into second only have them snagged on the peg marker.

They now go on the outside of my leg haha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not shutting off turn signals, not gearing up for short cruises, most accidents happen 10 miles from the house! But not being attentive on roads im very familiar with is probably the worst thing, kinda just go into auto pilot and say the hell with my surroundings. Sometimes i have to hit my self!! "Like come on FOCUS Asshole!!!" As bikers we can not afford to not pay attention, we have to watch out for everything because nobody else is going to.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I often ride between the last column of cars and parked cars, despite having almost been doored once or twice.
I think they should make Doorless cars and trucks mandatory as a health and safety issue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Daydreaming, or loosing focus. Damn, happening more frequently lately, must forget work, money etc...when riding.
Have you ever experimented with hydration when this happens? I wear a hydration pack when I'm riding and find that when I start to get spacy or daydream a lot it's usually because I'm dehydrated or have low blood sugar. Snacks and water always on hand. I also find that on warmer or more physical riding days, Scratch Hydration mix is super helpful. We use and provide Scratch during our California Superbike School days and it makes a huge difference to energy and concentration levels. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
958 Posts
I never close my saddlebags.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you ever experimented with hydration when this happens? I wear a hydration pack when I'm riding and find that when I start to get spacy or daydream a lot it's usually because I'm dehydrated or have low blood sugar. Snacks and water always on hand. I also find that on warmer or more physical riding days, Scratch Hydration mix is super helpful. We use and provide Scratch during our California Superbike School days and it makes a huge difference to energy and concentration levels. :grin2:
I’ll certainly give this a go come spring, I did not know of this? When I used to do track, the very same thing, afternoon daydreaming, dangerous. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I’m getting better at this but I really find it difficult not to get angry at people who simply refuse to try to get through a set of traffic lights when they are following you. Or won’t even try to ride at the speed limit, becoming an ever diminishing headlight in your mirrors and/or getting tangled up in the traffic you have deliberately left behind. You slow down so they’ll catch up and they slow down “to keep the gap”. I much prefer riding alone or with a few select souls who actually get it.

I also really must respond to the comments from those who get angry and gesticulate at drivers who come too close behind them. Sure the drivers shouldn’t do it but I bet the more you show your unhappiness the less likely they are to drop back. Why not simply let them past you? They’re probably thinking “why won’t this guy on the bike learn how to share the road.”

The safest place on the road on a bike is as far away from cars as you can get. If that means scooting off a bit faster or letting people past you, so be it.

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,209 Posts
I’m getting better at this but I really find it difficult not to get angry at people who simply refuse to try to get through a set of traffic lights when they are following you. Or won’t even try to ride at the speed limit, becoming an ever diminishing headlight in your mirrors and/or getting tangled up in the traffic you have deliberately left behind. You slow down so they’ll catch up and they slow down “to keep the gap”. I much prefer riding alone or with a few select souls who actually get it.
Oh, I hate that so much. Wife's best friend insists on riding 5 mph slower than me, regardless of speed or posted limit. Always falling behind. Just feels really passive aggressive, but maybe there's some different reason. But it has made me scream in my helmet at least once, to be honest. Finally figured out to just let her lead, and then she keeps a reasonable speed.

There a few people who are comfortable to ride with. Very lucky to be married to one of them though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with the turn signals... Very few, if any people, don't forget once in a while (usually a lot more often than that). We have all sorts of safety features mandated for bike that people seldom if never use, such as emergency flashers and kill switches. I would think that self-canceling turn signals would be as, if not more important. They would definitely be more used than those others features.
I totally agree! The first little thing I buy for my new bikes is a Baas buzzer, a tiny little thing you connect to the left and right turn signal wires and which gives a loud intermittent sound so as to recall you not to forget to cut off your turn signal. In town, the sound surprises both car drivers and pedestrians, alerting them of your presence. If the bike has warning flash turn signals, the buzzer-sound warns the car drivers when you pass in between them at a traffic light or in a traffic jam. Life saving device for 10€.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts