Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Tightening up my body in cold weather. It's not dangerous, just tiring. I have to remind myself to relax and loosen up my shoulders every few miles.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Resting my foot on the rear brake petal. I have my RAT Pack Pals keep an eye on me on group rides and I keep my foot further from the brake petal when I ride solo.

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
Hmmm... My answer to this may depend upon perspective.

From my perspective, my worst habit is not looking far enough ahead. When I am able to remind myself of this and look farther ahead my riding is much smoother.

From law enforcement's perspective, my inability to ride even remotely close to the speed limit.

From traffic's perspective, that I view them all as barriers to MY riding pleasure and will do what is necessary to get past them.

My riding style when I ride solo is drastically different from how I ride with my wife on the back or when I am riding with others. The inner hooligan is easily tamed when other's are present.

I also use my rear brake much more when out on the Rocket but I am not sure I agree that this is a bad habit. The larger Beast handles best when a bit of rear brake is applied, particularly through slow corners.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tightening up my arms too much mid corner.

If I hit potholes I overcompensate and one day it'll end in a tank slapper or running wide.

Just reminding myself during tight corners to relax the leading arm and pushing my body position forward a little helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It's good that you notice when you do this, as that is often the first step to correcting the issue. What else could you do to help keep your arms relaxed?

Tightening up my body in cold weather. It's not dangerous, just tiring. I have to remind myself to relax and loosen up my shoulders every few miles.
Yes, this is important. Is there anything else you could do to help keep your upper body relaxed even when riding in cold weather?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't know if it would be classified as road rage because I'm really not out of control but I have a major problem with cars riding my tail. Especially when I'm normally running 5-10 miles over the posted speed limit. My normal response is to give a couple looks at them in the mirrors and a head shake. If that doesn't get the point across, I'll give a look over my shoulder and a "back off" signal with my hand (with a full open hand and not just the 1 finger that I'm tempted to give).

Had a lady in a big SUV up my butt yesterday on my way home with her cell in 1 hand and Starbucks in the other. Had to resort to the "back off" signal while looking over my shoulder and came within a couple inches of riding off the road as there was a slight bend in the road while I was doing it.

So I guess my bad riding habit could be getting distracted by idiot cagers but as we all know, if you don't ride with your head on a swivel, bad things can happen.
Yeah, this. It's why I'm always checking in my mirrors.

It's the one scenario where I wished my bonny had more top end; at freeway speeds of 120-140kph it doesn't have enough zoom to leave faster cars in the dust. I've found that a lot of cars will not ride on your tail if previously you left them for dead. It's an ego thing I suppose.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Zoning out on a long ride, all of a sudden I will realize that I don't remember anything for the last xx miles and half hour.
I hate it when that happens! The worst is when you have a close call that snaps you out of your funk - when that happens, the adrenaline makes me knackered and when I get off the bike I just want to sleep.

·
Driftless Admin
11,645 Posts
That's not my worst habit, but it is my wife's. I tend to stay pretty focused on the ride, that's one of the things I love about riding. Big-picture stuff leaves my brain and I'm constantly in-the-moment, for the most part.

But wife ... she follows me and her brain goes into la-la land. So, more than once I've stopped at an intersection only to have her slide by me with tires squealing. Damned lucky I haven't lost a leg she's been so close.

And I typically ride near the center line and she rides behind offset to my right, near the breakdown lane. I've long ago learned to not take a right until I'm damned sure she knows I'm turning. Otherwise I turn in front of her and she has a chance to take me out. I've resorted to hand signals to get her attention, and I don't turn until I see her blinker is flashing.

Keeps me on my toes defensive riding wise :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thoughts of what I need to do in my business while riding, I loose sense of where I am and what I need to do next. Has got me into trouble several times, awful. Need to stop and get a 9-5 or earlier gig.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Ya, dirt biking can add some very good skills to road riding but it can also pass on some bad habits. Too much rear brake can be an issue. How can you work on preventing this bad habit?
Bud kind of addressed this. I was taught to just keep the very tip of my right boot on the brake pedal. That way, during threshold braking, the weight transfer from rear to front would cause you to put the right amount of pressure on the brake pedal without mashing it and locking up the rear wheel.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
If you live in an area that has gravel pit around like I do , or ride on dirt roads, too much front brake will not work out well. Better use the rear as well. Another bad habit I have is when riding with other riders I worry about them too much. I would rather someone else set the pace for their own safety. If they're behind me I'm worried I'm riding too fast for them and I spend too much time looking in the mirror and not enough time taking care of myself.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Too many riders do not use the rear brake at all, which is a worse habit than using it too much. I personally have to remind myself to use the rear brake - on my previous bikes my front-brake-biased braking style wasn't a problem because the front suspension wasn't as shyte as the Bonnie's.

(I blame it on a lifetime of riding bicycles though - I tend to grab clutch and front brake at the same time too)

My other bad habit is forgetting the bloody key in the outta-sight-outta-mind 9-o'clock-positioned ignition. >:-&

·
Driftless Admin
11,645 Posts
From a lifetime of driving manual transmission cars, I am used to pretty heavy downshifting when slowing down. In the car the upside is brake pads last forever. But on the bike ... I come damn close to locking up the rear wheel downshifting coming up to a stop light. I get a little chirp from the rear wheel sometimes. I need to stop that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As a new rider and never driven a manual transmission...I pay way too much attention to the gear indicator. I kind of like it when I ride my friends DRZ with no gear indicator and just have to go off of feel. When I focus on the road and not gear indicator my vision opens up for sure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When on my speedmaster swearing out loudly when idiotic or arrogant drivers think they're incapable of sharing the road in a safe manner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
From a lifetime of driving manual transmission cars, I am used to pretty heavy downshifting when slowing down. In the car the upside is brake pads last forever. But on the bike ... I come damn close to locking up the rear wheel downshifting coming up to a stop light. I get a little chirp from the rear wheel sometimes. I need to stop that.

Blip the throttle? You can practice braking and downshifting at the same time. Do you get on the brakes first or rely on downshifting to slow you down?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drive stick shifts with 3 feet. :)

21 - 40 of 135 Posts