Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not looking far enough ahead and target fixation. Have to continue to work at this because it is easy to get lazy with your eyes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yup, that can catch you out for sure. How do you plan on working on it so that you don't become lazy with your eyes? What can you do to practice?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
That one can get you killed. I used to do that until I actually went to the racetrack to race. Changed my perspective. Ride safe out there!!
I do . In my teens I didn't expect to see 25 , by 30 I figured I was on borrowed time . I've shared tracks with other riders over the years who've gone on to the very top levels and some who have paid the ultimate price . At 56 I have quite a few years to go to catch up with my Dad who at 84 has now downsized to a 300 ninja . And his worst habit is late braking .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too much rear brake. Hold over from my dirtbike and dualsports. I constantly have to remind myself not to stab the rear. The huge brake pedal on the bonnie doesnt help me...
Ya, dirt biking can add some very good skills to road riding but it can also pass on some bad habits. Too much rear brake can be an issue. How can you work on preventing this bad habit?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Lacking imagination.......

If you cannot see the potential in a situation you wind up being unpleasantly surprised. It used to be called 'defensive riding'.

Circa 1982 I vividly remember watching a car pull up at a side road 400+ yds ahead while I was tanking along on my R100RS and thinking 'They will pull out on me when I am on top of them' and she did. A little old lady with no depth perception or appreciation of speed. If I had not been ready she would have nailed me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know if it would be classified as road rage because I'm really not out of control but I have a major problem with cars riding my tail. Especially when I'm normally running 5-10 miles over the posted speed limit. My normal response is to give a couple looks at them in the mirrors and a head shake. If that doesn't get the point across, I'll give a look over my shoulder and a "back off" signal with my hand (with a full open hand and not just the 1 finger that I'm tempted to give).

Had a lady in a big SUV up my butt yesterday on my way home with her cell in 1 hand and Starbucks in the other. Had to resort to the "back off" signal while looking over my shoulder and came within a couple inches of riding off the road as there was a slight bend in the road while I was doing it.

So I guess my bad riding habit could be getting distracted by idiot cagers but as we all know, if you don't ride with your head on a swivel, bad things can happen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tightening up my arms too much mid corner.

If I hit potholes I overcompensate and one day it'll end in a tank slapper or running wide.

Just reminding myself during tight corners to relax the leading arm and pushing my body position forward a little helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 135 Posts