Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just thought I'd let you all know the World Superbikes at the island were f%#[email protected] fantastic!!!

Also caught up with GavinB and Smegin from the Sprint Forum - which was really great and topped off a brilliant weekend.

Here's some pics: Superbikes

I found an interesting diversion while riding the speedy the 1100km day trips there and back. The chrome headlights give a beautiful reflection of the panorama. The view extends from sky, tree/fencline, surrounding fields to bitumen. The pics don't do it justice but it looks fantastic on a bright bluesky day with only a few clouds around!

152kph

144kph

Russ :cool:

[ This message was edited by: ruscook on 2007-03-07 01:08 ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
I work Sundays.....pity couldnt make it. Would have loved to see Troy B in action. Biaggi's doing well too I see.

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Bummer! I work w/ends too. I didn`t even get to watch it on foxsports.
Good pics, russ!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Looks like you had a good time, I've been jons'en for the races to start up, today the Phillip Island race is on speed, I'll miss it though, due to some freak weather, i'll be out on speedy today, bout time.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2007-03-06 05:55, batistuta wrote:
I work Sundays.....pity couldnt make it. Would have loved to see Troy B in action. Biaggi's doing well too I see.
Batista, Rob. It was a great couple of races and the atmosphere at the Supers is so much more relaxed and friendly and less crowded than the MotoGP. Would really recommend it.

TroyB rode a great race and those big twins sound the best at the track. The 4s whine, the twins roar!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2007-03-06 09:12, cheapbastard wrote:
Russ, you need gas. :-D
Hey??? this must be a NthAmericanism as ya lost me Cheap.... :)

Didn't catch up with Legman, but did with GavinB and Smegin (2 Sprint riders) which was cool.

Between the 500km dayride on the 28th of Feb and the 2200km round trip poor old Speedy has over 6500km on the dial and isn't 2 months old yet....

At least she'll get a lube job this w/e...

MaxB was smooth to watch but Toseland and Bayliss were definitely a cut above the rest. THey were just as smooth when they upped the pace. Others incluing MaxB lost a bit. Max not much, but other riders got decidedly raggedty as they put the speed on. TroyC got his 4th but really had to work for it. A great w/e and great venue.

TripleRider - enjoy your ride. Watching racing on TV's only a substitute for the road anyway :)

I was really impressed with the fuel economy given the speeds and the distance (and the weight poor old Speedy was carrying)

Fuel Economy Link

[ This message was edited by: ruscook on 2007-03-07 01:09 ]

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah thanks Speedtrip.. Yes I got fuel (gas.... funny term for a liquid these NAs have), about 30km later.

On this trip on the slab, I got 240-250k before the fuel light came on. Quite impressive considering on the Putty with you guys, I only got 197k before the light came on.

And yes, it was a good trip... Shame I had to go back to work yesterday.... :cry:

Russ

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had to pay for bike parking at the MotoGP last year (unsecured...secured was extra) which kinda annoyed me considering the cost of entry.....

what about the supers?

I would hate the day they make us pay for bike parking on streets in melbourne.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Great couple of races. We don't get WSBK in North America until Tuesday afternoon, and I just finished watching (thank you Tivo!).

For those of you who haven't seen them, I won't say who won, but race 2 was fantastic, with 5 of the best going nose-to-tail for 20 of 22 laps.

How hot was it, and was the temperature the reason for tires (tyres) being such a factor? :???:

Oh, yes. In NA we almost always say 'gas' - short for gasoline, sometimes 'fuel', and never 'petrol'. Great language, this English! :-D

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2007-03-07 08:11, BillT wrote:
Great couple of races. We don't get WSBK in North America until Tuesday afternoon, and I just finished watching (thank you Tivo!).

For those of you who haven't seen them, I won't say who won, but race 2 was fantastic, with 5 of the best going nose-to-tail for 20 of 22 laps.

How hot was it, and was the temperature the reason for tires (tyres) being such a factor? :???:

Oh, yes. In NA we almost always say 'gas' - short for gasoline, sometimes 'fuel', and never 'petrol'. Great language, this English! :-D
:) .

Temps on Sun were 26-27c. Very little wind for most of the day. Light rain before 10am but the support races dried the track out.

At the supers, you take you bike into the track (grounds not the actual track obviously) and can ride from place to place around the cct to watch the race.

For $60 more (180 instead of 120) you can get a bar superbike ticket which gives you seating and a marquee to retire to in the event of inclement weather - very civilised :)

Atmosphere is much nicer than the MotoGP. More enthusiasts. Considering Ducatis and Triumphs are only about 5-6% of the Oz bike market, I'd estimate they exceeded 10% of the bikes at the island.

Russ

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ducatis and Triumphs are only about 5-6% of the Oz bike market
In the US for 2006, Triumph sold just over 10,000 bikes, Ducati sold just over 8,000 in the US and Canada. Total motorcycle sales in 2006 were almost 1.3 million in the US - roughly 400,000 Honda, 400,000 H-D/Buell, 400,000 Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki, <100,000 everybody else. Triumph hopes to crack 1% this year!

Anyway, it looks like WSBK has a month off before Donnington. Wonder who they'll root for! :-D

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm hanging to get to a race sometime - the closest I've been to is some "Bucket" racing a friend of a friend was involved in and Bathurst (most of my friends are into V8s and I don't complain about a good road trip and any motor racing)

as far as sales go... I heard about an editorial here that Triumph has outsold all European models and is closing on Kawasaki for 5th overall sales (not sure if this includes their minibikes etc)

Impressive over the last few years

Andrew

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I told John to snap me a couple of nice pics of Umbrella Girls from WSBK, but does he do so? No.

At least you're looking out for me ruscook. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
Joh Bloor Special
1,408 Posts
On 2007-03-10 09:48, crashmasterd wrote:
I told John to snap me a couple of nice pics of Umbrella Girls from WSBK, but does he do so? No.

Sorry about that Crash.......got down there to the island with a camera full of flat batteries!

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On 2007-03-10 22:22, Legman wrote:
On 2007-03-10 09:48, crashmasterd wrote:

Sorry about that Crash.......got down there to the island with a camera full of flat batteries!
***** I hate that! Feel free to poach some of mine :)

Those two cuties were very easy on the eyes crash. Made it worth while looking at the Honda stand :) .

The Suzuki girls were also very stunning, but they set a new standard in crass as one was VERY young to be wearing skimpy gear for us old farts to stare at.... Hence no photos of the Suzuki girls.

I don't know where they had the others locked up but the rest of the umrella girls weren't at the track on Fri or Sat.

Russ

·
Registered
Joh Bloor Special
1,408 Posts
On 2007-03-11 04:20, ruscook wrote:

The Suzuki girls were also very stunning, but they set a new standard in crass as one was VERY young to be wearing skimpy gear for us old farts to stare at.... Hence no photos of the Suzuki girls.

IRuss
[/quote

I saw that one Russ.....she looked about 13 years old.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts