Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont want to spoil it for those who may still want to see it but the Portimao round served up some close racing and some twists that could still affect the Championships final round . I cant believe Biaggi and Checa are so quick in there twilight years , but its shaping up for a fantastic series in 2013 ,so ill try to keep this thread active :)

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I like to play Mark, but I am not buying the coverage.

H

·
0 Posts
With the internet, coverage of WBK or all most anything can be found even if you have to wait a day.

Super bike racing is and has been the best of international racing for the last several years.(Irish road racing is not international) Even though both WSK (FIM) and MotoGP (Dorna) are owned by the same monstrous investment conglomerate, the entities are allowed pretty much free reign to run their own business as long as they stay profitable.

Comment has been made that GP is unfair as only one or two bike manufactures spend any money on their bikes so it isn't even competitive racing. Funny how those same companies all spend huge amounts developing bikes for WSK. And, each week a new bike such as Aprilia, Kwak, Honda, Duc or BMW can be the winner.

Simple difference in business plans from the two organizations create a totally different fan experience.

Not all old farts are confined to homes for the aged, some are allowed to continue entertaining the rest of the world (hint about mistreatment).;)

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well Hap ,your reasoning there was quite sound so you have earned some remission on the Home front :eek: Haps right Boldor , theres always the internet , magazines and other forums to keep up and you can join in with me and Hap . Who knows some of the others might get interested .
Aprillia , Kawasaki and BMW have all been on the pace this year . Next year we see what the Panigale can do and hopefully Honda Yamaha and Suzuki can join in .
:motorbike: :Group:ChequeredFlagst

Pity Triumph have lost interest , that Daytonas a great bike . :)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Just where have you been. We needed help a week ago to get off that parade groupy facebook page by MotoGP lovers here?
What??...I missed that - I've been away on a retreat in the Bolivian Andes with the Scientology group I belong to.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What??...I missed that - I've been away on a retreat in the Bolivian Andes with the Scientology group I belong to.
no doubt hobnobbing with Cruisey and Captain Travolta , on a purely male observation, aint Melandris squeeze ,an Amazon Grrrr " :D

One thing that does annoy me about the WSBK broadcast is Jonathan Greens carry on , he comes across like an excitable
schoolgirl a lot of the time !!! Especially when he screams over the top of Steve Martin " who just might know a bit more about it "

The best presenters are the two Brits that do British superbikes , calm , experienced with a wealth of amusing insites , just right.

That Canuck, McCormack showed what he can do at Portimao , now if we could get a couple of Aussies back up there ;)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
as far as bsb commentators go jamie whitham is great, he has raced at all levels from club to gp so his insight of the racing game is second to non but he does it without taking himself to seriously.

as far as wsb i'd like to see a change to road legal tyres as in supersport(prod class should use prod tyres) this would be more relevent to joe bloggs to see riders on bikes like the ones he can buy and on tyres like the ones he can buy, also the tv coverage would be less likely to be disrupted due to the weather.

H

·
0 Posts
as far as wsb i'd like to see a change to road legal tyres as in supersport(prod class should use prod tyres) this would be more relevent to joe bloggs to see riders on bikes like the ones he can buy and on tyres like the ones he can buy, also the tv coverage would be less likely to be disrupted due to the weather.
Mike. It wouldn't be any different than the Super sport race except bigger engine.

To enjoy street ready bikes racing we, here in US, just look out the cage window whilst driving on the free way. Squids every day race there.
I am prone to pros on bikes I can't have but look like bikes I could have and ride like I wished I could.:D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
the technical changes the rules allow for the two classes would mean there is still a big difference between the two,but with the introduction of the crt class i think there is too much of a grey area between sbk and moto gp (iirc a few years ago bayliss put in a faster lap time on a sbike at donnington park than the gp guys did a few weeks previous).

the point about the squids-
that's exactly the point of making sbk more like the bike in the showroom including the tyres although like supersport the tyres are not ordinary road tyres "race on sunday sell on monday" every squid thinks they're biaggi,melandri,sykes etc hell i used to think i could whup sheene's ars* as i ground the footpegs into dust on my rd250.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Isn't that what the Superstock class uses? When SBK and MotoGP were televised by Eurosport in Germany they always compared Superbikes to touring cars (which are also highly tuned compared to their street legal relatives) and MotoGP to Formula One.

So Superstock is closest to street legal bikes, even with road legal tires.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yes superstock is the closest to street legal and produces some very exciting close racing with lap times on "road legal" tyres very close to sbk lap times, but superstock rules only permit very limited chassis and engine mods so you need sbk rules to drive chassis and engine development.
using treaded tyres aswell as driving road tyre development lessens the influence the recent "global warming" has on the race schedule and also enters an element of rider skill in managing tyre wear.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
One thing that does annoy me about the WSBK broadcast is Jonathan Green's carry on , he comes across like an excitable schoolgirl a lot of the time !!!
Agreed; I like using the mute button on my TV remote!

Can you believe that here in Africa we get all the WSBK races and the SuperSport race live on TV? We even get the Superpole qualifying session live the day before. It's been a really good series this year with lots of good action. But it went really wrong for Melandri & Sykes last Sunday so it's almost certain that Biaggi will be champion again. I'm not much of a fan of him, but I guess he deserves it this season.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id vote for street tyres, there pretty bloody good these days and it would make it more relevant and put the emphassis back on the rider more and save a fortune in time , money and politics . Congrats to Kawasaki and Kenan Sofaglu on his 3 rd World Supersport title in 2012.. Great race with lots of contenders and action . Broc Parkes was a close fourth but no ride so far for 2013 !!! what BS is that ... Too many italians in this categoty, we need more Brits , Yanks and Aussies ....Sponsorship shouldnt take preference over talent and a fair representation of talent from across the World . Local Aussie Superbike rider Josh Waters was on Pole and second place at The Suzuka 8 hour but no ride in WSBK !! Wayne Maxwell and Glenn Allerton are similarly quick here but no international ride !!! We should be seeing the best not the best connected....;)

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed; I like using the mute button on my TV remote!

Can you believe that here in Africa we get all the WSBK races and the SuperSport race live on TV? We even get the Superpole qualifying session live the day before. It's been a really good series this year with lots of good action. But it went really wrong for Melandri & Sykes last Sunday so it's almost certain that Biaggi will be champion again. I'm not much of a fan of him, but I guess he deserves it this season.
We get the same coverage but only on Pay TV , Biaggi is a prickly personality at times but yeah you cant deny his ability especially at his age against talented younger competition. :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yes, Jonathon Green is a world class wanker. Steve Martin can barely disguise his contempt at some of the ridiculous things that come out of Jonathon's mouth. But watching WSBK just wouldn't be the same without his shrill, excitable cheerleading.

We get every race on Speed Channel and I just record it and watch it whenever I have time, usually weekend mornings with a cup of coffee. There is zero media coverage of motorcycle racing so I can easily pretend it's live and not have the result spoiled because I found out somewhere else.

I love WSBK because you just never know what's going to happen.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, Jonathon Green is a world class wanker. Steve Martin can barely disguise his contempt at some of the ridiculous things that come out of Jonathon's mouth. But watching WSBK just wouldn't be the same without his shrill, excitable cheerleading.

We get every race on Speed Channel and I just record it and watch it whenever I have time, usually weekend mornings with a cup of coffee. There is zero media coverage of motorcycle racing so I can easily pretend it's live and not have the result spoiled because I found out somewhere else.

I love WSBK because you just never know what's going to happen.
Yeah the sheeples dont even know what it is, they would rather cry and angonise over the Footy ...Over here they are running some Super Bike rounds with the V8 Supercar dates and venues which is leading to more exposure and people seeing the exciting , daring racing that we allready know and love . The hope is this will lead to more TV cover, media interest and Sponsorship ops .

BTW Australian V8 Supercars will be running a full round in Texas in 2013 , its pretty spectacular if you get a chance to check it out .:)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
BTW Australian V8 Supercars will be running a full round in Texas in 2013 , its pretty spectacular if you get a chance to check it out .:)[/QUOTE]

Is it like Mad Max:D?

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
BTW Australian V8 Supercars will be running a full round in Texas in 2013 , its pretty spectacular if you get a chance to check it out .:)
Bathurst is on next weekend.

All else is dull and flat in comparison regarding four wheeled racing.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/

They're all looking a bit long in the tooth now, even Lowndesey.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts