Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working of brake switch and connector with photos

I am looking for a good photo or a description of the working of the brake lever switch on pre units. Attached is the only Photo I can find but has no switch showing how it works and the correct method of connecting it up o r the correct locality along the brake lever bar.

Could some one place a photo please?

·
Registered
625 Posts
that second photo is the later unit bike setup. Your '59 will be setup differently, but I'm having a problem recalling exactly how. I *THINK* that instead of pulling the switch, it pushes it from the other side ... perhaps that extra 'tab' on the rear side of the brake pedal ... I'll see if I can get to my buddy's house and snap a pic of his '58s setup .... The bike is unrestored and well over 90% original ... in the meantime ... perhaps there's someone else with a pre-unit ...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks t100rc
The first photo is off the internet, the second on is off my bike as it is now the way I think it should work. It works but I don’t think it is the right way round and I also don’t know if it is in the correct position.

Only after ward I noticed on the first photo there seems to be a switch just above the exhaust clamp bracket on the frame. Which one is correct and how do they work?

·
Registered
625 Posts
The way you have it is similar to the later unit setup, but usually the 'tang' is in front of the switch and has a spring between the tang and the switch so that you don't pull the switch apart. (brake rod has more travel than the switch)

The '58 won't have the switch mounted to the chainguard like that ... you're right ... it mounts up near the brake pedal. I haven't had the chance to go get a piccy of my friend's yet.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
• Yes, maybe the "tang" can go in front of the switch, but then the switch must be turned over to work and the wires will have to be on top of the switch, pass along / under the (“tang” and spring) to connect to the top and be more exposed to the elements.

• As it is the horizontal sliding lever passing through the switch is spring loaded and is in the on position normally, the tension spring and “tang” pull the horizontal spring loaded sliding lever to the off position, press the brake level and the tension is released through the spring and the "tang" moving forward to complete the circuit.

• I hope you can make head and tail of it!!!!!!

Alternatively the switch, the “tang” and the spring must be fitted below the horizontal brake level connection bar.

I hope you can make head and tail of it!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The way you have it is similar to the later unit setup, but usually the 'tang' is in front of the switch and has a spring between the tang and the switch so that you don't pull the switch apart. (brake rod has more travel than the switch)

The '58 won't have the switch mounted to the chainguard like that ... you're right ... it mounts up near the brake pedal. I haven't had the chance to go get a piccy of my friend's yet.
t100rc. Yes I thought I was not mistaken. Have you had a chance to take a photo?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well found it. For those who are interested.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Oldebonnie, Those photos come off that fishy bonnie with the weird numbers. But I think they are not quite right. t100rc Emailed me these pictures which I think is correct. They make a lot more sense.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks Oldebonnie, Those photos come off that fishy bonnie with the weird numbers. But I think its not quite right. t100rc Emailed me these pictures which I think is correct. They make more sense.
Those pics are of an unrestored 1958 Trophy-Bird. I doubt that brake switch has ever been unbolted.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the photos on the packed up computer at home, will be up & running soon. You will have to PM me your details so I can email you.

Cheers Bushy

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the photos on the packed up computer at home, will be up & running soon. You will have to PM me your details so I can email you.

Cheers Bushy
Hey Bushy,

Thanks! Ive got a 51 rigid Speedtwin, you can see HERE.

Ive rigged up something that works similar to my 66 Bonneville. Just a tab which tightens to the brake rod and pulls the switch. It works but wondering if thats correct. Also would be curious to see pictures of the wire routing when it exits the side of the fender near the switch, one wire going to the switch and the other black wire joining the harness. Any pictures would be helpful because this is the mess I have now. Sorry for the bad picture.

Oh, the spring attaching the brake rod tab to the switch is missing in the photo.

·
Registered
904 Posts
This is what came on my 64, wrong chain-guard and you can see where I've drilled it to move the switch above the rod. Still probably wrong for all I know, but it does work...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I Hope This Will Help, these are incorrect. I will look for the correct ones.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Still not quite correct I will find the correct one, got a new laptop and trying to find all the old info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the pics oldroadie and bushybester. Yeah, I currently have something that works in the same way but I dont think its like it should be. Ive been searching for pics of an original setup on a rigid but not having much luck at the moment. Let me know if you find the other pics bushy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
This picture is kind of confirming my setup

switch is mounted to a little bent piece of metal bolted to the exhaust mount (like in my earlier photo). Hard to tell where the spring is going to on the brake pedal but looks like its heading right up to the clevis pin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts