Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do we remove and install intake manifold/carb mount studs on a T140?

They are the studs with the collar recessed into manifolds and the smooth shanks in the carb flanges.

I can't imagine that double nutting will get the tight enough to seal on the reinstall.

Unfortunately one had come loose in removing the carb so it had to be completely removed to get the carb off as the locknut had more resistance to getting off the stud than the stud out of the head.

If I ground flats in the portion in the carb flange to use a wrench on in the future, would that cause an issue with keeping the carb from moving around due to the lack of snug stud to flange condition?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I replaced the ones in my '70 (we are talking about the ones that hold the actual carb on, correct?) by using a very small "pipe" wrench. I wrapped the new ones with strong tape to help prevent the teeth on the wrench from "galling" them. I cleaned them up with a file and sandpaper when I was done, even though they were covered by the carb.

More years ago than I care to remember, and they[re still in there: Jim

·
Registered
601 Posts
I can't imagine that double nutting will get the tight enough to seal on the reinstall.

Beemie,

Well actually that is the way. However, I do use thread locker
and a stack of washer to keep the stud from bottoming out in
the threaded hole by just a little bit. Basically you double nut
place the washer on, then the thread locker, finally tightening
the whole works. Let it set up for 24 hours. Break the nuts
loose, and remove the washer and you are good to go.

Pookybear

1 - 3 of 3 Posts