Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning fellas,

My ST has been running perfectly since the pickup coil was replaced and I've subiquently replaced a few of the engine bolts with titanium from probolt and got my clutch cover replaced after nine years of wishing but I digress......

I've got some pennies in my back pocket and I want to fit a workbench into my garage and I've been looking here. http://www.jasengineering.co.uk/static.htm

Thing is I don't know if I need a metal or wooden top for working on bikes. I guess the wood would be better for resting engine parts but the metal might be better for welding? What would you guys adivce I go for considering I want to get into bike restoration starting with my ST.

I know this is a VERY newbie question but as it's related to the ongoing welfare of a 95 ST so I thought you guys wouldn't mind too much!! Also a £400 spend is a little rich to commit too without getting all the facts right!

Also if you know of cheaper/better workbenches feel free to pm me!

Ta

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
An option you might consider, depending on your space is something like:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91764

I know they're "cheap Chinese mfg" but they're probably available in the UK from various places. I have seen these as low as $199 on sale here, cheaper than a workbench. There are certainly more spendy lifts, but these work... just... fine - even with bikes that weigh 2x what your ST does.

You can use them as a "workbench" when not holding a bike by leaving them in the up position and putting a rubber mat or other suitable home-made top you fashion inexpensively. And then you get a workbench adjustable for height. :D

Most of the time you don't have a bike up on it hopefully, but it is a delight not to have to flop around on the floor. It is also quite interesting you notice when your bike is on a lift - you don't get that viewing angle unless you're about prone.

Of course if you need a lift AND a workbench at the same time, I'd probably be inclined to buy two.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I was intrigued by the "store-bought" workbench. I've never bought one....always have "rolled my own." At one house, with a fairly tight garage space, my workbench folded up. I built a space on the wall with perf-board to hold the tools, and had a 2 x 4 framework up to hold the "desk" part off the tools (think of a pictureframe type framework). The hinges were heavy duty gate hinges. The "legs" were a 4x4 on one side bolted to the wall, the other side was a 4x4 with another gate hinge allowing it to fold up when the table was lifted. The bench "desk" was 2x4's and a piece of 3/4" (3' x 8') plywood securely bolted to the wood. Has held bike engines and even my Volvo's transmission while swapping out clutch, etc. The current owner still uses it, last I heard....14 yrs old and doing fine.

Folded up, it let two cars and the bike be parked in the (bloody small) garage. Tight, but it gave me work space. Cost? About US$100 and some time.

Derswede

(Oh, and if anyone in the Greensboro, NC area needs a workbench, I have several "sewing tables" from industrial seaming units...steel legs, oak or composite tops, CHEAP! PM me...)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I would be tempted to buy some angle iron..or perforated angle iron this can be bolted or welded, some 3/4 ply and make me own....you could tailor it to fit the area & height you want.

Did a quick cost for a 2Mtr long 1 Mtr wide 1Mtr high works out to about 70-90 quid, with the saving you could buy a nice vice to put on it and still have over a couple of hundred quid in your pocket ;-)

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mot - Think your onto the winner there mate!! The saving could be spent on the lift!! Thanks for all your input fellas. It helped loads, not that JAS would appreciate it though!!!!

Thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Silkie if you can weld, I'd make it from RHS steel (square box section), it's a bit easier to square up than angle. Made mine from 50mm or maybe 60mm box, can't remember, the top is a chunk of kitchen worktop. Probs not as good as hardwood or decent ply, but it's very flat and holds a big ol' vice OK and a home-brew metal folder, no sign of probs with the top holding out yet.

If I'd had the cash I'd have put a section of 10-12mm / half-inch steel top on it, for a nice welding table...:cool:

Reckon mine cost about £50 for the steel and another £50 for the worktop, it's 6 or 7 foot by 3 foot, something like that size. Made to fit the space and also the wobbly floor, to have a flat level top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts