Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading and enjoying Peter Egan's "Leanings" books (he of Cycle World fame) in which he writes of a life of motorcycling and his observations.... this caught my eye and made me smile...

"An early Guzzi or BMW boxer twin might be your good old pal on the road, but an old Triumph, BSA or Norton is not. It's indifferent to your fate.

You may plan a trip with an old Triumph, but what you more often get instead is an odyssey, full of detours, unexpected contests, new acquaintances, and strange turns of fate.

They are here to see what we are made of, not to be our friends.

It's what keeps us coming back to British 'bikes."

I think that sums it all up!! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love Egan's work. I would never even thought of owning an old Triumph if it weren't for his rambling about how much he loves them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've been reading and enjoying Peter Egan's "Leanings" books (he of Cycle World fame) in which he writes of a life of motorcycling and his observations.... this caught my eye and made me smile...

They are here to see what we are made of, not to be our friends.

If you drink enough beer, and hang out in the garage a lot, your bike will be your friend. In fact, I had a conversation with mine the other night. Mostly it was me swearing at it, but I'm pretty sure it talked back at some point. (Although, it could have been something just falling off of it.) Regardless, I'd like to think we're friends...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
My Three boooks are
Leanings, Soul On Bikes, Rebuilding the Indian.
I will not put one above the other. Of the three authors I have only met Mr Egan and he has only shown kindness to me. I rode many of the same roads described in his book 30 years ago at the time he rode them. Soul on Bikes shows the brotherhood of all bikers.
Rebuilding the Indian shows the "fun " we all go thru
jus my pinion

·
Registered
411 Posts
There is one piece of the printed word that always fires me up when l pick it up. It has got me out of trouble more times than l care to mention. Its pages always get me thinking "what if l...." .

The Michelin map of France,Germany,Poland,Holland,ect ect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts