Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get a wooden bead seat cover. I heard that they are the "cat's ass" (pun intended) for eliminating pain in the ass on long rides especially for oldsters like me with back problems. Anyone have any experience??

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I admit it, I have one, Bought it from an internet site.

It does work, you have to keep moving around or it can "dig in". One thing it does do is really increase air flow under your butt, no more monkey butt! It is more comfortable. A bunch of the old Concourse riders used them and you know how they are!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've used them for years. Cooler ride in the summer and a dryer ride in the rain cause your sitting above the puddle that alwys seems to form under the butt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a wooden bead seat cover. I heard that they are the "cat's ass" (pun intended) for eliminating pain in the ass on long rides especially for oldsters like me with back problems. Anyone have any experience??

Thanks in advance!!
Technically, mate, I think the beads might be more the dog's bollocks than the cat's ass, but no matter!

The beadrider or an Airhawk type pad will both help your butt cheeks, with the beads having the edge on a really hot or wet day, as mentioned.
But I question whether either will do much for your back. If anything, the Airhawk seems like it might be more helpful for that.

Also, a few months back MC Consumer News found some other brand of air pad that they liked even better than the Airhawk, but I can't remember what the brand was...

Another thing that help your comfort a lot on a long ride is wearing some of that high tech biker underwear.
Just sayin'...

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have no idea how sitting on wooden beads is good for you butt. I have sat on them and felt that they would get painfull after awhile but many use them so it must just be me.
:Fencing

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have the Beadrider on all the time. I find it great. It has eliminated a discomfort I used to get in my right leg and feels comfortable.
I replace it with an Airhawk for long trips.:)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I take an occasional trip to Reno (on my Valkyrie), which is about 3 hours each way, and can be pretty hot. I used to have a tired butt by the time I got home, so ordered a set of Beadriders to fit the Valkyrie seat. I measured the seat as required, ordered the set and have used it ever since. It's not the perfect solution, but I am much less fatigured and have a less tired butt when I get home since installing the beads. Really an inexpensive way to improve your seat. I have a set on order for my America.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another "thumbs up" for the BeadRider. Never leave home without it. :)

jb

·
Registered
41 Posts
In another thread some folks laughed at these bead seats. But after just getting back from 150 mile run through a few blast-furnace-hot Marin County burbs, my butt is tellling me to go ahead and order them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, the old bit about how it makes you look like a "Pakastani Taxi Driver," I presume?
Of course, taxi drivers, regardless of national origin, sit on cheap seats all day, everyday, so maybe they have a clue about this?

·
Registered
239 Posts
not for everybody

My wife and I tried the beads on our Bonnevilles and they didn't work out well for either of us. For me, i found that they took an already stiff ride and made it instantly uncomfortable - I was already in pain 10 minutes into a ride instead of it taking an hour or so for the stiffness of the seat to cause me problems. Even changing positions so I wasn't sitting in the same exact spot did little.

We took them off in the middle of our first long ride with them on, and the only positive thing I have to say about them is that they actually gave me renewed appreciation for the stock seat. I tend to think it was designed to be just comfortable enough to last you between fill-ups. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not for everybody - I'm sure that's exactly right.

For the wooden beads, I suppose there is some ideal ratio between seat firmness below the beads and cheek softness above the beads.

This could be graphed out as x and y vectors, with a "comfort envelope" falling somewhere on the graph. Of course, you'd need separate graphs for different bead diameters and nerve ending density would have to be accounted for, too.

Guess I drank too much coffee today.:D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I saw the beaded seat cover on an America at the local Triumph dealer and wondered about its effectiveness. But somehow I cannot get the picture out of my head of the beaded seat cover working like the roller-floor I saw in a warehouse for moving large pallets. A little push to the left and away you go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts