Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say enough how much I love my XRX. Everyday I'm on it I fall more in love with it. However one thing that is bothering me is this "woo woo" sound I hear. This is not the engine whirl sound. I'd never want to get rid of that! That's awesome! It's definitely a "woo woo" sound. I have heard this sound in cars before and it's normally tire related (or bearing). Here's the details.

Riding along and once I get to around 42 - 43mph I start faintly hearing the sound. As I speed up it gets louder and louder. It's at it's loudest at 52 - 53mph. Then it either starts dying off, or it seems too just because the wind noise gets so much louder.

I brought this up at my first service last Friday. At the end of the service I was told the chain was on the loose end of spec so the adjusted it to the tighter end of the spec. They said the bearings were good and that I would just probably hear this noise because of the way the bike is designed. Now I could have swore driving it out of there that day that it was better, still there but better. That was probably psychosomatic because it's definitely still there. They didn't mention if they checked the wheel balancing (which I'm sure they didn't because I would have been there longer).

Does anyone else have this? It's my first chain driven bike so is this just what you get with a chain, or should I have this looked into further?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd suggest it's tire related. Make sure they are up to spec on pressure.
The tread pattern can make weird noises at different speeds.
I used to have K60 Scouts on my Tiger 955. I got rid of them as I didn't like the road noise. Put on a set of Anakee IIs and no more noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yup, depends a lot on the tire. My 955i has 70-30 tires and there is a definite droning sound at speed.
But woo-woo? Nah, mine's more like mummummummummummumm.
Wear earplugs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can't say enough how much I love my XRX. Everyday I'm on it I fall more in love with it. However one thing that is bothering me is this "woo woo" sound I hear. This is not the engine whirl sound. I'd never want to get rid of that! That's awesome! It's definitely a "woo woo" sound. I have heard this sound in cars before and it's normally tire related (or bearing). Here's the details.

Does anyone else have this? It's my first chain driven bike so is this just what you get with a chain, or should I have this looked into further?
My TEX (shaft drive) came with Metzler Tourance tires that whooped at speeds over 35 or 40 mph. Have since used Michelin PR4's and now Continental Trail Attack tires, both of which are silent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My TEX (shaft drive) came with Metzler Tourance tires that whooped at speeds over 35 or 40 mph. Have since used Michelin PR4's and now Continental Trail Attack tires, both of which are silent.

Ok cool. I'm getting pretty much the same response on other forums too. Well they're brand new so I'll chew them up. Although next year I may decide to take a dirt class at an adventure bike school near me. If I do I may buy some laced rims and more appropriate off road tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
I have a 800 xrx, it's the Tourance next tyres at certain speeds, they have a moan at each other. A resonance kicks off between the front & back tyres.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 800 xrx, it's the Tourance next tyres at certain speeds, they have a moan at each other. A resonance kicks off between the front & back tyres.

Thank you Paul! I figured it was the rubber, but just wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Ok cool. I'm getting pretty much the same response on other forums too. Well they're brand new so I'll chew them up. Although next year I may decide to take a dirt class at an adventure bike school near me. If I do I may buy some laced rims and more appropriate off road tires.

Sounds like it's tire tread specific. It may get louder as your tires wear. Nothing to worry about, unless your tires begin "chunking."

What air pressures are you running? I find more noise is associated with lower pressure.
I use 36psi (cold) front, and
I use 41psi (cold) rear.

If you do go for an add'l set of tires/wheels, get a crush drive also. Add'l brake rotor and lastly, a larger wheel sprocket for slower speed work. The factory gearing is ok for fast fire roads but worthless in tight maneuvers/soft sand/tight woods work. I find the minimum speed in 1st gear for offroad use is 18mph. Quite fast when negotiating hills/ravines/sand/deep mud/water crossings.
3 or 4 mph would have been more applicable. A large wheel sprocket can help accomplish this. You'll also want a longer chain too. Probably be better with a totally seperate chain actually.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Riding along and once I get to around 42 - 43mph I start faintly hearing the sound. As I speed up it gets louder and louder. It's at it's loudest at 52 - 53mph. Then it either starts dying off, or it seems too just because the wind noise gets so much louder.

I brought this up at my first service last Friday. At the end of the service I was told the chain was on the loose end of spec so the adjusted it to the tighter end of the spec. They said the bearings were good and that I would just probably hear this noise because of the way the bike is designed. Now I could have swore driving it out of there that day that it was better, still there but better. That was probably psychosomatic because it's definitely still there. They didn't mention if they checked the wheel balancing (which I'm sure they didn't because I would have been there longer).

Metzeler Tourance Next is the problem.... Velocity between 84 and 96 km/h woo woo woo noise.....A infernal noise.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts