Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting fault on my Trophy. It has been there for some time and never bothered me.

I can start it up fine and it runs an revs ok. But if I put it into gear before it is warm it dies immediately as if the side stand is down. Once it is warm it runs lovely. No other faults.

I use it as a way of warming the engine up before I go anywhere, but sometimes this takes upto 5 minutes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Does it "lurch" a bit when you put it in gear cold? If so, "clear the clutch" by holding the lever in while in neutral and rev the engine gently a couple of times. That should free up the plates; I have to do it all the time when I first start my Trophy after it has sat for a day or so.

Hope this helps: Jim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, it just cuts out. I can hold it at 5,000rpm and it cuts electrically as if I had hit the kill switch.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you start the bike on the side stand will it still die quickly?
It sound like a shorted wire and the action of the forks compressing completes the short. Loose connection on the electronic ign black box?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts