Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Bobber came out, it took the market like wildfire and became, I believe, Triumph's best selling bike last year. I took my Sportster-riding daughter down to see one and that did it - a later test ride sealed the deal in May '17 and she's loving every minute on it. Wonderful for me is it sat in my garage for its first year + and was mine to enjoy most of the time. Sadly it's gone now as she bought a house with a nice garage.

So it looks like Triumph was trying for another home run with the Speedmaster - and I'd really like to get one as it fits me like a glove made just for me.

But is the new Speedmaster selling? Sure doesn't look like it to me......surely not like the Bobber did and still is. Of course it's a completely different market Triumph is after.

But even here is seems like there are only a few new owners of the '18 Speedy.

Anyone have a general feel for how the new Speedmaster is selling in the US?

TIA,

GN

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm still on the fence.I had a minute test ride and I loved the size, handling, and the 1200 engine but the seat and bars would need to be changed immediately for me.A purchase may be in the wind in about 2 months.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still on the fence.I had a minute test ride and I loved the size, handling, and the 1200 engine but the seat and bars would need to be changed immediately for me.A purchase may be in the wind in about 2 months.
Nothing transforms a bike more than seat & bars.......on one bike, I went through 4 bars and 5 seats to get the perfect fit!

Bars were ok by me - could be lived with, but the seat was a 1 - 2 hour seat at most - not unlike the Bobber.....and not sure the comfort seat would be much better.

Problem is if they don't sell enough Speedmasters, but seat mfgs. won't be making seats for it........one of my concerns.....

I had a 20 min. test ride that the sales guy let me turn into 1 hour - perfect bike for me......

Anyone heard anything about sales numbers? Of course, Triumph and its dealers know - but they ain't tellin'........

GN

Reactions: Findlay13

·
Registered
84 Posts
As a complete diversion, you and I have the same surname (I think). Quite unusual - originates in the NE of Scotland (Aberdeen area). Clan Farquarson, which you probably know.

Cheers,

Beerman

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mate of mine bought one recently: he also owns a bobber. Has owned a Bonny and a Thruxton R, and currently owns some kind of Harley Bloater (or is it bagger?)

He is very happy with it, as it has forward controls, and he bought the comfort seat. Fits him like a glove. Seems like a slimmed down Harley, except it is more like a motorcycle than a diesal farm implement.

Just kidding: Harleys are works of arts,,,,,,too some.

·
Registered
932 Posts
As a complete diversion, you and I have the same surname (I think). Quite unusual - originates in the NE of Scotland (Aberdeen area). Clan Farquarson, which you probably know.

Cheers,

Beerman
Yes 300 men[and boys] in the centre of the front line at Culloden.They would have all been blown to bits.Balmoral is the centre of Farquarson land I think

·
Registered
932 Posts
The bars were exactly the wrong bend for my wrists and the seat wouldn't suit me for 30 minute But I loved the engine.bobber ,or america bars and a comfort seat.
I want a blue one[same as the new scrambler] and Teardrop mirrors but that's just personal

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
If you like it and "it fits me like a glove made just for me" - Then buy that glove that fits, even if everyone else is wearing mittens.

Don't worry what's trendy or the favorite flavor of the month.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you like it and "it fits me like a glove made just for me" - Then buy that glove that fits, even if everyone else is wearing mittens.

Don't worry what's trendy or the favorite flavor of the month.:wink2:
I could not care less what others think. Not wired that way. In fact, if it's a fad - I won't go that way for sure.

My concern is value. Lot of money to dump in a bike and then find it has little market value. Or worse - that the market rejects it. Since all new vehicles are depreciating assets, I only throw bucks at one that have the best resale value......

Hard to tell what's going on with the new Speedy's anyway - people just don't buy bikes this time of year unless they live in CA or FLA........

GN

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
Mr. gatornapper, It was just an observation response. I understand your reasoning. I bought a truck that has an engine that no one wanted - but I love it. So take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Personally, I was interested until I rode it and found it too small for me and my gal. Maybe with the Corbin dual seat this bike would work, but I saw a very diminutive woman sit on the back of one during the launch and the saddle bags pushed into her legs. Sales may be hampered by creating a bike that isn't designed for two-up riding. Maybe that's why the Triumph Bobber did so well-- it fit its purpose perfectly.

Later I did a test drive and found it handled great and had good acceleration. But again, holding me back is it's just not large enough for my needs. Currently I ride a T-Bird LT.

As for value, my LT never really sold although it's an awesome bike, and the resale is way, way down. But it was the bike I liked most at the time and I'm glad I made the decision. I've had several years of trouble free riding on it. Best of luck with whatever decision you make Gatornapper. If you really love the bike I think you'll be making a good choice.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree. It’s a nice machine, but I think the bars and seat issues have hampered sales. I sold mine due in part the seats available (pre Corbin) stunk.
Gosh - you're like the 3rd or 4th guy on this forum who got one and quickly sold it......NOT a good sign.

I've been riding 54+ years and never bought a new bike - buy low-mileage bikes still under warranty - let someone else take the depreciation hit. Same with cars. I may just wait and see what the near future holds for the bike - and pick up a nice used one.

As the bike fits me to a T, I almost surely will get one. Only question is when & how. No need for it this time of the year and already owning 5 very different bikes.....

Bars are easily found. Seats? Not many choices......

GN

·
Registered
215 Posts
Corbins do have seats for this bike that look pretty good. Go to the Corbin site and check them out. But if people are already selling, I'd probably wait to buy a used one and save the depreciation $$.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DBrian -

Thanks. Will be a solo bike for me.

What concerns me for 2-up on the Speedy is the rear suspension travel - only 2.9". I know the pre-load is easily adjusted, so maybe it's ok. But I think the Speedy was indeed designed for 2-up riding to compliment the solo Bobber.....they just didn't put enough attention into the seats - that little pillion pad can't be comfy either.

I do think that new Corbin 2-up seat would have been fine for a gal in back........

There are always low-serial-number issues that any mfg. has to deal with - tho the Bobber seemingly had few - and I suspect that for 2019 Triumph will be addressing some of these. They sure have their fingers on the pulse of the motorcycle market in so many other ways - a lot better than H-D does........

GN

·
Registered
84 Posts
We're all different. My view might be different if I wanted to ride with a pillion - but my wife isn't going to do that on any bike, not just this one.

2,000 miles in...I like the bars, I like the (admittedly upgraded to luxury) seat and I love the bike. It looks beautiful, and if I keep it that way, if ever I want to sell it, it'll sell.

Beerman

·
Registered
49 Posts
Corbin now has 2 up seat for the 2018 Speedmaster. Have not seen any solo seats except for the Triumph Comfort seat. Has anyone tried the Comfort seat? Like it? Just purchased the Speedmaster, love it but seat has to go.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Corbin now has 2 up seat for the 2018 Speedmaster. Have not seen any solo seats except for the Triumph Comfort seat. Has anyone tried the Comfort seat? Like it? Just purchased the Speedmaster, love it but seat has to go.
The Triumph Comfort seat is better than the stock. It moves you a bit higher and it is a bit wider. It has a very odd pad right at the lumbar support area. That all being said, it is not a whole lot better than the stock seat.

I had a Corbin made for me for the bike. I had the rider and passenger sections both made wider. The only issue I have with my new Corbin is that it moves me a bit further back than I like. This may be because of them making the rider section wider. My wife will now ride on the back with the Corbin.

Corbin are not for everyone. They are a bit firm, but they work for me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts