Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to mount a Wolo Bad Boy air horn (Steibel Nautilus clone) hidden under the tank of my 2010 T-100 without separating the compressor from the trumpet. Here's a teaser pic for now... I'll post more when I take the tank back off to finish the wiring (I couldn't find the inline fuse holder that I've been pushing aside for months).

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
I'd definitely like to see how you accomplished that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have one of those and considered that mounting. However, as the horn is made of plastic and the amount of heat generated in that area is very high, certainly when sat at a red light in the summer, I decided it was a bad idea. Let us know how it turns out. I mounted mine with a bracket to the frame just in front of the LH shock absorber. Works great. Love the horn; it will wake the dead !
:)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to cut the bracket off right behind the coil where the AI junk was mounted. There is more than 1/2 inch clearance to the cam covers. I have some thin foil lined fiberglass insulation wrap stuff around somewhere, I may use a piece of that, or maybe some sort of sheet metal heat shield.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It comes with a cable/fuse and relay. You wire it direct to the battery for power and connect the relay operation terminals to the existing horn wires. Very easy.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Yes please more pics on the install. I have the stebil but want to hide it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

To make the necessary clearance for the horn, you must first cut out part of the bracket (shown in red) where the AI stuff formerly resided. I made the vertical cut with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel, then grabbed the piece to remove with vice-grips, and moved it back and forth until it broke off where it was welded to the frame. This is pretty easy, as the weld bead on mine was only 3/8" or so.

I then used a large hose clamp to secure it to the frame. A piece of inner tube between the frame and the horn will keep it from moving around. The relay is mounted to an existing bolt on the right side of the frame (also visible in the photo). I uses a piece of bicycle inner tube to protect the relay from water spray. The stock horn wires were long enough to cross under the frame to the relay without extending them. Then all you need is a ground wire from the horn to the frame, a fused wire from battery positive terminal to the relay, and a short wire from the relay to the horn. I used 14 gauge wire that I hay lying around from another project.

You really can't skip the relay with this horn. A lot of the complaints you hear are from trying to hook it straight to the existing horn wires. This will not provide enough current to power the horn. You will also quickly burn out a fuse at best, or maybe wiring or your horn button at worst. With the relay, all the stock horn wiring has to do is provide enough current to trigger the relay.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but I do have at least 1/2" clearance from the horn to the cam cover. After riding home from work last night (57 miles, so it was up to full temperature), I stuck a finger in there, and found that while the cam cover is obviously pretty warm(ok... HOT!), no part of the plastic or metal of the horn was even warm to the touch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts