Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just put to new tyres on my daytona 1200 at great cost and i have just had the sprag-clutch give up . At least i am pretty shore that is what it is .went to fire it up and it made a horrible clanking sound. then nothing but the starter spinning .
I should not be to supprised as it has been occationaly been known
to make this noice for quite some time but it allwaya turned over afterwards allright .been quoted 4-500 pounds to repair.would have been more but it has access plate under carbs ,
I could get another engine for less and have a good spares back up as the engine has only done 28000 miles and is ok other than that ... just a thought .
any thoughts anyone???

·
Registered
826 Posts
how mechanically competant are you?
if you are quite handy with a spanner, buy a new engine, and swap it.
then fix the sprag in your original engine.
swap motors back over again, and sell the second engine on.
i would recomend putting the original engine back in, as you know its history better than the second engine.
also, when you change the sprag, remove the sump and clean out any remnants of the sprag, or you WILL have a dead engine!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply daytona 750
I am still of a mind to get a secound engine and repair my engine at leisure.
I was told by my nearest triumph dealers that the 4 cylinders triumphs are a little more tricky to do as the balancer shafts that are present in the 4 and not the 3 run of the clutch and a little more care is needed .
when said sprag does go do they tend to leave any
debrie behind ?
I believe there is a plaice in wales that does triumph second hand engines.that goes by the name of triumphant so i will give them a call . Has any one had any dealings with them??

·
Registered
826 Posts
i have heard mixed reviews of triumphant.
im not sure about the 4 cylinder engines, but the 3 cyl ones have the balancer shaft at the front of the engine and its driven off the crank.cant see why hat would be different on the 4 cyls, but i aint a triumph dealer! lol
yes, they can leave debris behind.when my engine blew i dropped the sump and found broken teeth and small peices of metal from the sprag. all it takes is for a little bit of said fragments to get into a bearing shell, and you loose all the free play that it is supposed to have which will turn your bearing shells into playdoh

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The 1200s have two balance shafts at the front of the engine which are run off the crank. It's not a very difficult job except time. Make sure you order the right sprag (I waited until I had it apart). There are quite a few pictorials via internet search on this subject (and with the 4 bangers).
It turned out my "noise" wasn't the sprag at all. The cush rubbers in the balancers deteriorated and yes that stuff was all in the sump! I'd take the sump off and give it a good look see for indicators of things gone ary.
That said, are you sure it's the sprag? I thought I'd read the sprag going south locks things up tight but the alternator bolt "issue" doesn't? I didn't go back and research this so do a search on these forums for both the sprag and the alternator bolt issue.
Good luck getting her running again,
Triton

·
Registered
826 Posts
i cant speak for others, but when my sprag went, it sheared a load of teeth, and the starter just spun up without engaging.it was a 3 day old upgraded sprag too, fitted by a triumph dealer!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
daytona 750
sounds like what happened to mine -it just spins up on the starter and don't engage.
you said yours was replaced by a dealer and only lasted 3 days ?
i hope he sorted it for you f.o.c.
did you find out why such a short demise?
hope its ok know .
I also have a 900 sprint so at least i am not bikeless while i sort it.
just a little paranoid it might happen to this one as well.
cheers bj

·
Registered
826 Posts
there was 2 weeks of arguments between me, the dealer and triumph.
the dealer said triumph sent the wrong part, and triumph said i must have abused it, and i told them it wsnt f'ing good enough......guess who won!
i got the repair done free of charge, but i was not impressed that it took 3 weeks in total, when i had only had the bike for 3 days (the sprag was changed for me when i bought the bike)
then a big end bearing let go a few months later.....
i swear it was due to the dealer not cleaning the debris out the sump, but didnt have enough evidence to prove it, so just swapped the engine which cost me about 200 quid.
i would definately reccomend putting another engine in and take your time changine the sprag, and make sure everything is cleaned out properly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only debris a broken Triumph sprag may leave would be particles of a broken spring. The spring of which I write is a tiny, mushy little thing, hardly capable of damaging anything in your engine.

The mushy spring surrounds the sprag fingers comprising the inner gear. The inner gear is encased by an outer gear assembly of rather hardy construction. Triumph did a very good job of encasing the engagement fingers and inner hex heads. Also, they used "green" loctite on said inner hex head bolts which join the inner and outer gear assemblies.

If any other part of the sprag clutch let loose in your engine, you would most likely find shattered gears(not just teeth) in the oil sump.

On a hunch- When disassembling your engine, pay close attention when opening your clutch. Closely inspect your judder-plate. Are all the brass rivets still in place? Brass shards from your judder-plate can destroy a sprag spring, clutch plates, block oil passages...

Crappy thing too: Once those rivets separate from the judder-plate and migrate from the clutch housing, they like to hide in the engine. I'll post this stuff under it's own title in a bit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your feadback guys.
I have just pushed bike into a corner and covered it up out of sight out of mind well not out of mind as i will be ringing around soon to locate another 1200 motor
wich i expect to take a bit of time as there does not seem to be many 1200 about .I can't remember the last i saw one one the road.
As i have said i have a 900 sprint that i can use in the mean time it will bug the hell out of me to i have it sorted.
cheers
bj

·
Registered
826 Posts
i shall take a pic of the sump when i next go to my mates garage where my old mill is stored, i dont want to sound like a twat or anything, but there are definately gear teeth in the sump, and all that was wrong when i stripped it was a knocking big end bearing.and not too long before that it had been into triumph to have the new sprag replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts