Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my car heading over to a friend's house when a pick-up clipped the back tire of the last bike of a party of three or four bikes riding together.. Got all wonky and tipped over, spilling the man and woman pillion onto the pavement.

It was low speed, but horrifying.

Typical Harley scene, no gear- Jeans, T Shirts, no helmets- His leg was clearly broken, she was scraped up, bleeding from several places and it wasn't until one of the kind ladies that ran up to the scene started stroking her hair to comfort her that I noticed that a good sized part of her head had been skinned away, and you could see her skull.

Gotta give kudos to my fellow citizens, there were at least 20 people that ran from their offices or pulled over to help, and an old man pulled over and stripped off his white shirt to stop traffic as the bike was still in the street.

I backed off as more people arrived, first-aid kits arrived- including some guy with a backpack full of medical supplies.. I drove off once the EMT's got there.

It was awful. But they were moving when the EMT's got there, so I hope they're going to be OK..

That lady's head injury was the worst part. It was like a square foot of skin that came up when that really kind girl lifted her head off the ground and onto a rolled up towel someone had..

Please wear some kind of helmet everyone. I shook for about an hour.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Unfortunately the ones that need to heed your plea are the ones that turn a deaf ear. We all make choices, some not so good.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
When my mate Jeffro died in Italy last year the kindness of the many people who stopped to help was a real comfort to me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately the ones that need to heed your plea are the ones that turn a deaf ear. We all make choices, some not so good.
I know. I'm not saying the two of them wouldn't have been messed up from the crash- Helmets would have helped is all I can say. Even a "bucket" or a 3/4 or German WW2, novelty or not- anything that would have come between her head and the pavement.

We're all riding like crazy- since in Florida, it's 75 degrees and sunny in December. Maybe it's just the economy of scale.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As kids we have all lost some skin falling off our bikes onto pavement and thats going maybe 15 MPH? Why people think its acceptable to ride around doing 5x that speed with no jacket on amazes me.

Glad they seemed ok but hopefully its a wake up call. Ive witnessed one MC accident (well two if you count my own, haha). It was low speed but the biker was at fault, luckily he had enough gear to keep his skin but im pretty sure he broke an ankle. I was the main witness and had to testify against him to the insurance companies. Felt like betrayal but you gotta be honest.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'll be blunt: Riding without a helmet is really, truly, profoundly stupid.

If this incident isn't example enough for those that like to like to "ride free", the helmet is probably wasted on them anyway.

Ride safe folks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When my mate Jeffro died in Italy last year the kindness of the many people who stopped to help was a real comfort to me.
This. All we can hope for is a few kind people around to comfort us when we pass. Could be friends and family, could be strangers.

I wear gear but it doesn't bother me too much if others don't.

Crashes suck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'll be blunt: Riding without a helmet is really, truly, profoundly stupid.

If this incident isn't example enough for those that like to like to "ride free", the helmet is probably wasted on them anyway.

Ride safe folks.
Totally agree.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There seems to be more contempt being directed towards the passenger on the HD than towards the careless driving of the pickup truck driver who rear ended them. I don't understand the lack of empathy. Another rider got hurt and all we can say is they probably don't deserve to live anyway? :confused:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It was my gut response to the comment about a helmet being wasted on the "ride free" motorcycle subset. Kind of the old Darwin thing isn't it? Granted, it was not explicitly stated, but I felt the sentiment was clear enough.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...did the pick up stay?
Yep, I think it was him that actually got them both out of the street (oncoming traffic) and onto the sidewalk.. He seemed really broken up.

I know you're not supposed to move people, but there were cars coming, and they were both moving arms and legs, and getting drug to the sidewalk beats getting run over laying in the street.

About a half-dozen cars pulled over, one old man actually stripped off his white t-shirt and ran towards the oncoming traffic frantically waving them off with his shirt while the other riders and a passer-by or two helped get the bike upright and out of the street. The T-shirt guy then began directing traffic through a single lane until the police arrived.

Thinking back, I'm not really sure the geometry is right, and that the truck clipped the bike.. Just may have pulled out and blocked my view as the bike hit oil or something and got wonky.

Either way, I wished I'd been somewhere else.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It was my gut response to the comment about a helmet being wasted on the "ride free" motorcycle subset. Kind of the old Darwin thing isn't it? Granted, it was not explicitly stated, but I felt the sentiment was clear enough.
I guess when I saw it, honestly the first thing I thought to myself was "What were you thinking, riding without a helmet?!- Dumbazz!" It was an expression of exasperation as a fellow rider seeing an injury that could have been mitigated by wearing a helmet- and not even a full face- A "Brain Bucket" or "skid lid" would have been sufficient in this case.. I myself wear a Bell 500 Custom open face and goggles- would have made all the difference for her this time.

The guy was OK I think- broken leg not withstanding, but those can be fixed...Didn't seem to have any marks on his head, the lady was another story.. I guess he bounced one way, she bounced another.

I don't ATGATT myself, but a helmet jacket and gloves are minimum all the time. Boots most of the time, but I ride in jeans (or worse- khaki pants/work slacks) all the time.

If I wipe out and get a leg full of road rash, I won't mind if the first responder asks me how clever I feel now. I know.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I think the overall main gist of the sentiments posted here is that it was an unfortunate accident, for all involved.

But we also know accidents do happen. They are a fact of life. When they do happen, you can only control certain things in an accident scenerio. One thing that is within your control is to take steps to wear protective gear to minimize the damage to you, should someone else screw up and run into you.

The choice was theirs alone to make, but unfortunately those choices can sometimes come with consequences.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Well, your gut is wrong. Best not to put words in someone's mouth.
There's a gigantic difference between stupid and dead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The guy was OK I think- broken leg not withstanding, but those can be fixed...Didn't seem to have any marks on his head, the lady was another story.. I guess he bounced one way, she bounced another.
JJ, did this happen near Gainesville? I've searched the G'ville paper but can't find any reports on the accident, so maybe The Sun doesn't report many bike accidents unless there's a fatality.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts