Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just looking to change my 955 for a 1050 and was wondering about luggage options, buy a bike with standard luggage or without and fit after market. I tour for a week or two at a time with the wife, so we need space for the kitchen sink etc!! Looking at the standard set up, it seems a little on the small side. What other options are available or are in use by you guys?? Cheers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
depends how big your kitchen sink is...

There are all sorts of combinations out there.

I like the look of the triumph panniers and as they were included with most 2006 and later bikes they shouldn't cost any more - I wouldn't pay for them if they weren't included. They are so small they are almost pointless! however they come off quickly and leave the bike looking very good still. No obvious racks to spoil the beautiful bike.
If I had to pay for a setup I would probably go SW motech as I'm very impressed with the top box rack they do. Then you can add some panniers of your choice like the very capacious Givi E41's.

In terms of top box, I would recommend the SW motech rack; it is small and neat without the adaptor plate. You can get a selection of plates for it and add whatever top box you like.

I currently use a battered Givi E52 which will comfortably hold 2 helmets.
However I'm saving for the Coocase Astra 48 which is mentioned elsewhere in this forum:

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/101936-hmmmm-coocase.html

There are loads of ideas already in the forum with pictures and reviews of people's systems. I'm sure plenty of others will come along and post their opinions soon.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Similar as for uniqeadventures post. I use Givi E 35 hard bags and SW Motech frames. These frames and mounting system are very good in that with frames removed there is little visible hardware left on the bike. The Givi frames do not look that easily removed and possibly do spoil the look of the bike a bit if left on. I have a Ventura rear rack and soft bag and also a Triumph Tank Bag from my prior 955. I reckon that with this set up it could carry the kitchen sink, albeit a small one. I have not used the Triumph hard bags but they appear to lack storage volume and also can't be used on your next bike and are expensive.
Cheers, Simmo

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I bought my 05 sans luggage and if I had to do it again I would be on the fence. I like the look of factory matching luggage but the givi kits out there are very very nice and offer way more functionality. So if buying another sprint without luggage saved me $1000.00 I would invest it in a good set of givi kit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Givi luggage with Sw motech racks. The Triumph bags look good, but are only 20 liters each and will not hold a helmet. If they are free great, but if not then just buy the Givi. Get luggage that works the first time around and be happy.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Givi luggage with Sw motech racks. The Triumph bags look good, but are only 20 liters each and will not hold a helmet. If they are free great, but if not then just buy the Givi. Get luggage that works the first time around and be happy.
That's pretty much my feelings as well. The 99-04 bags were great. The >05 bags, not so great. Mainly in size and integration.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love me Givi E52, it just like having a boot. Mine just stays on the back all the time (and I got the pad to make it look like a seat - remind me to ask my passenger what it's like). As I've got a 2001 bike and givi doesn't sell frames for it I went for the sw motech mount.

Now I'm planning a trip to the alps in Spring considering panniers. I can either go with a set of soft ones that I saw for the bargain price of £80 or get the other SW Motech bits and go for matching givi hard cases or I did see aluminium ones that are dead cheap, and I know they dont exactly blend but they are stonger and if they have handles on top I can lay a bag across the back and tie it down to them.

I do wonder what the pannier mounts are like, I wonder how strong it is.

But to answer your question, imho it depends if it comes down to practicality or looks. The givi bags are better bags but the triumph ones look better.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think the Givi V35 system would look better than the OEM bags on the >05 Sprints. We just need a mounting system made for the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
... have you considered Ventura luggage?

It is soft luggage which fits on a rack.In this photo I have the 45 litre pack fitted and can also clip another one on the rear of the rack.

When riding with a pillion the pack gets fitted the other way around and hangs out the back.

Good price and seems to last well.

Grant:cool:

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
+1 Icey

... have you considered Ventura luggage?

It is soft luggage which fits on a rack.In this photo I have the 45 litre pack fitted and can also clip another one on the rear of the rack.

When riding with a pillion the pack gets fitted the other way around and hangs out the back.

Good price and seems to last well.

Grant
I also have one on my 2004 Sprint with the additional 10 litre sportpac and small rack.

These are very well made and I have had many of them on many bikes. A bonus with the standard Ventura bag is if travelling solo you can zip two bags back to back doubling your capacity and keeping the weight closer to the front.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/

In addition to the Vetura pac I have a locally made larger RJAYS pack which also fits the same pack rack but has greater capacity.

Sportpac

Larger capacity RJays pack on Ventura frame

[url=http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/9746][/URL]

Side on view of standard Ventura Pack facing the rear for pillion riding.

DaveM

·
Registered
177 Posts
I must be odd ?

I have the Triumph hard panniers and top box and don't have a problem. Last year did a 2 week tour of Europe with my 17 year old Daughter on pillion (a 17yo can pack some stuff!!). No camping gear but got all clothes and other bits we needed in without a problem. A tank bag would have helped and I'm getting a small one for this year's trip. I think the Triumph luggage looks good and works well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts