Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do it? I have a BMW friend who is 98% going and a friend who is moving down there in July. I'm wondering if it is relatively safe from the Mexican border to Panama. I understand the road is great, have to go through Mexico, Guatemala,and El Salvador,and that's dangerous or not? I heard it costs about $300 in bribes, drive only during the day, stay in large city at night. I bet you can't bring a gun across the Texas, Mexican border (I don't know for sure and if so I don't know why?) I'd like a 9mm HK just in case I need to reinforce my point of contention but it would be very hard to push me to use it. I just worry about bandits and thieves mostly- anyone got any experience?

·
Registered
149 Posts
No Guns!

Do NOT take a gun (or ammo) into Mexico with you because they will put you in prison if they (the Mexican police or soldiers) find it.

ADVrider is definitely a good resource. A friend of mine rode his GS Beemer from Atlanta to Honduras solo, no problems, then later came back two-up with his wife. He does speak pretty good Spanish. How's yours? Though Spanish is not a requirement. There's enough English-speakers in Mexico and Central America to get you by.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I know this Irishman that rode accross Canada, to Alaska, down to Arizona and off to Panama. I can't find the link to his blog though. Great fellow. Unfortunately I heard he got jumped for his wrist watch whilst stuck in traffic and no one would help him! They did, however, honk at him to move afterwards when he was laid out on the ground with his bike!:eek:
And to top it off he interveened in a scuffle in Mexico City where some Hispanic was beating his gurl and ended up getting jumped by 12 little mexi's and ended up in jail!?!:mad:

I say if you go, stay out of the big cities as you are a target for money etc. And don't talk to anyone! Just mind your own bizness.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Irishman

I'm pretty sure we met the same Irishman in the Norton Bar in Cuzco, Peru in late October....alive and well and on track for Patagonia. He made it through Central America and said, yes....it is possible....and yes...it does require some bribes....and possibly dangerous, but mostly costly and likely helpful if you speak some Spanish...tho playing dumb has some uses as well. The guy was doing the fartherest points east, west, and north in N. America, and heading for the southernmost tip of S. America.
Here's the blogspot he gave us...
30000mileson2wheels.blogspot.com
and if I'm reading his name right....Oisin M. Hughes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts