Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished taring apart the motor on my 68 Bonneville to replace a push rod tube gasket and piston rings. after putting it all back together i went to start it up. turned the key on, lights and everything worked great. After a couple cranks the light dimmed and went off and now it seams i am getting no power. recharged the battery and still nothing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would assume something in your system fused.

Time to get out the ohmmeter, after you check the fuse.
That was my next step. the battery fuse did not blow and the only electrical i messed with was the starting cylinoids. Maybe i hooked them up wrong?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You have no starting solenoids since it's a manual, kick, start engine.

I assume you mean the coils. You may have them incorrectly connected. Do you have a workshop manual for the bike?

How old is the battery? What is the voltage of the battery after it has been removed from the charger for 1 hour minimum?

BTW, I'd suggest not having the lights on while you start the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did mean the coils, i do have a manual but not a very good one. it said nothing of the wiring of the bike.

is it bad to start the bike with the lights on?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I deleted the reply before I sent it. Ahhh, old timer's disease. :(

OK, it not bad for the bike to start it with the lights on. If you have a battery that is weak, like over 2 years old, then you may have a difficult time starting it. You'll see that a lot of owners keep their batteries on a "battery tender". I maintain that is not necessary if your bike is correctly maintained. And part of correct maintenance is replacing a battery that is failing. Not stringing it along trying to eek every mAH out of it. But then some do that with oil to deleterious results.

You'll develop a "swing" to your kick as you practice, and you'll get lots of that.

I've attached a representative wiring diagram you can use. One of the good things about British wiring is the color codes have remained pretty much the same.

I just did this for a T20 on another list. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the diagram, way better than the one i have. i think that my problem lies with the coils. think i may have hooked them up wrong. 2 wires each? i have a white and a white with a black stripe. the coils have 4 connectors on them. does it matter which ones i hook the wires to?

·
Registered
87 Posts
black and white should go to positive and white to negative look at the top of the coils negative share two plugs and positive shares two plugs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts