Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished installing a new wiring harness, battery, condensers and points. Bike has a positive ground system. There are 3 ground wires on the harness as picture in the diagram below. I had them grounded to the frame but was only getting power with a test light on the horn wire and a brown wire in the headlight pot.

There's no power to the ignition switch wires, so I moved the grounds to the positive post on the battery, but still no power. I'm baffled why the horn wire and a headlight wire are getting power but nothing else!

The new harness closely matches the wiring diagram. The only wire I'm confused about the the red wire to the condensers - is it a ground?

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi gaillarry,

Yes, the red wires should go to earth as well (when I wired up my 72 I was amazed at the number of separate earth wires)
If only you headlamp & horn are working, I would guess it is because of the red earth wires you have not connected.

I hope this helps

Webby

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would be inclined to follow the schematic for your bike rather than the diagram below. It is a bit confusing. Brown/white supplies power to the ignition switch and the headlight switch with Brown/blue ahead of the ammeter. All the other colors feed off these two switches. White from the ignition to the coils. Blue Brown/green and red/black from the light switch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

-When "Earth" is mentioned does it matter grounding to the engine or frame?

- can all the "Earth" connections be joined together and use the same grounding point?

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Thanks for the info.

- can all the "Earth" connections be joined together and use the same grounding point?
You could use the engine, but in that case it would be a good idea to fit a bonding lead between the engine & the frame (like you find on some cars)

And yes, you could join all the earth connections and use just one grounding point, either on the frame or direct to the battery.

Webby

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Thanks for the info.

1 no

2 yes

i have found frame is better to earth on double check continuitity with a multi meter from earthing point back to earth on battery if you are not sure

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ran all the earth wires to one point on the frame. There's continuity from the frame and engine to the + terminal on the battery, which means I have a good ground.

But still only power with a test light on the horn wire and a headlight wire, nothing on the ign switch wiring? Note that I have all the ignition and headlight wiring disconnected from their switches.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
The horn wire purple/black runs from the horn (live) to the horn button on the L/H handlebar switch, according to my manual. It should only have volts on it when the button is pressed.
If the switches are not connected, there`s something very wrong.
I suggest removing the fuse and doing a continuity check, using a copy of the wiring diagram.
Mark your progress by marking each correct wire, on the diagram, and check each wire to earth and the fuse.
I.E. for the horn wire, check its continuity and any shorts to earth or live...it should be isolated.

·
Registered
625 Posts
On a '69 the horn should always have a 'hot' as the horn switch is just a grounding switch. You need more than just one ground point on this bike ... electrons will not want to travel through your headstock to the front end (handlebars and headlight bucket DEFINITELY need ground!)

The original harness would have been wired as a 'loop'. Most of the ground connections would have had 2 wires to them ... basically passing along to the next point. I've seen it where someone cut a wire, or a wire had broken or come out and all of the sudden the bike had weird issues that were eventually traced back to a 'floating ground' ...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'll start doing a continuity check on all the wires just to make sure there are no broken wires.

I also note that the rectifier has 4 terminals but only 3 wires go to it.

follow up: While checking the wiring I connected together the two wires for the ammeter and now have power to the brown/white wires on the ignition switch !!!!!!

The diagram above that supposedly fits the new wires is very confusing, so I'm using the diagram from the Haynes manual.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Finally finished installing a new wiring harness, battery, condensers and points. Bike has a positive ground system. There are 3 ground wires on the harness as picture in the diagram below. I had them grounded to the frame but was only getting power with a test light on the horn wire and a brown wire in the headlight pot.

There's no power to the ignition switch wires, so I moved the grounds to the positive post on the battery, but still no power. I'm baffled why the horn wire and a headlight wire are getting power but nothing else!

The new harness closely matches the wiring diagram. The only wire I'm confused about the the red wire to the condensers - is it a ground?

I like that wiring diagram. Much easier to read than the one in the manual. Did you mock that up yourself in a painting tool, or did you find it online? Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Morning my fellow riders,

So, I believe that I'm almost there w/ all the wiring, but just have a few more issues.

1. I have a Pazon EI, w/ a typanium component setup. And just want to know if the following wires will or will not come into play with the current setup (points, condenser pack, zenor, & rectifier - ATM, I'm assuming it will not come to play due to the other threads I've read)

2. 2 wires I have no clue where they go to. The horn wire terminal (where's the horn located??) and the oil pressure switch wire terminal.

3. How do I set up the high beam on the headlight? (my least concern ATM) - also, is it normal for my headlights to work w/o the ignition switch being turned on?

FYI... I've learned so much about the bike (1st bike) during my top end overhaul and this rewiring, and have found a new hobby. It's my own "special" time to myself! :):)

And couldn't have been done, w/o the help of you all, so thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts