Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of halogen 20 watt driving lights to be mounted on my '01 Legend engine guard. Can they safely be wired directly to the headlight circuit or do I need to wire them separately to their own circuit? I also bought a relay, just in-case. I'd like them to come on with the headlight. I'm not looking to increase my after dark line of sight as much as I am wanting to be seen during daylight hours.

I don't want to wire them directly to the battery without the ability for them to turn on/off automatically with the headlight (for fear of leaving them on while away from the bike). That's where the relay would come in to play.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
I wouldn't wire them directly to the headlight curcuit.

Use the relay, and wire that to a 'switched ignition' circuit, eg: Ignition power.

This will enable the extra lights to turn on/off with the ignition, but be on with both high and low beams.

The only lighting circuit that I would suggest connecting the relay to would be the instrument lights.
The reason for this is:
If you take relay power from the low beams, when you switch to high beam the relay will switch off and so no driving lights...and vice versa.
If you take relay power from the parking light circuit, the driving lamps will be on when you switch to 'Park'

Take power for the extra lights directly from the battery to the relay contact terminal and from the relay to the driving lights.

Make sure that the driving lamps have a good ground connection or run an ground wire back to the frame ground point.

[ This message was edited by: Wombat on 2006-11-27 14:27 ]

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Personally, I'd avoid having them come on with the headlamp. That would mean an additional load would be on when starting the bike, and it's already bad enough (IMHO) that the headlight is on when cranking the engine.

I'd have a separate switch wired through the ignition. That also gives you the option of turning them off if you are suffering from a poor battery or charging problem and you are limping home.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
Good point Chris,

This can be overcome by using a second relay to cut power to the Aux circuit when the starter has power.

I have heard of people using this to cut power to the headlights while starting also.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've got my options now, thanks to you guys.

It's good to have you all in my corner.

Now, just waiting for the parts to show up from customdynamics.com

A friend used them and they delivered as promised.

:upthumb:

M

·
0 Posts
Robin

Any chance you could post a pic when you have them installed...I'd like to see how they look.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Robin,

i pulled power from the headlight curcuit and put a separate switch in the light housing for the same reason as parry brought up. that way i can have them off on start up but don't have to worry about them being left on unless the ignition is on. good luck.

[ This message was edited by: b2brand on 2006-11-28 09:31 ]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2006-11-28 08:34, monsuoon wrote:
Robin

Any chance you could post a pic when you have them installed...I'd like to see how they look.
My out of pocket expense was $128.05 not including toggle, wire and fuse holder. I'm happy!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm under the impression that the US versions *turn off* or maybe dim the headlights when you hit the starter button.
Eastern Beaver is known among long distance riders for providing wiring harness sets to make things *plug n play*. They do custom as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2006-12-01 01:00, glgavin wrote:
I'm under the impression that the US versions *turn off* or maybe dim the headlights when you hit the starter button.
Eastern Beaver is known among long distance riders for providing wiring harness sets to make things *plug n play*. They do custom as well.
U.S. versions the headlight ciruit comes on fully with the ignition. The dimming effect is only when both the starter and lights are pulling availible power from a draining battery. Don't believe there is any kind of priority of power routing during start-up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Robin,
I've been considering my options for a different highway windshield on my 2002 T-Bird. I have the summer screen for local day riding which suits me but haven't been happy with the buffeting on extended highway days with the Triumph Roadster screen. I noticed the screen on your bike is taller. What is it? Are you pleased? Any issues? Thanks.
Charlie

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On 2006-12-01 12:06, cbronaugh wrote:
Robin,
I've been considering my options for a different highway windshield on my 2002 T-Bird. I have the summer screen for local day riding which suits me but haven't been happy with the buffeting on extended highway days with the Triumph Roadster screen. I noticed the screen on your bike is taller. What is it? Are you pleased? Any issues? Thanks.
Charlie
Charlie,

It's a Triumph windshield and it's the most rigid windshield I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few. It has the word "Triumph" etched in it, well below the line of sight. It helps during colder months and on long trips. It's off in the summer months except when touring. One issue...It's not the quick release kind and is a little awkward to get on and off.

I wish I could give you more information on it, but it was part of the deal when I bought the bike new from the dealer. He gave me $1000.00 dollars in store accessaries to get me to sign on the dotted line.

[ This message was edited by: DragonNester on 2006-12-02 06:22 ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts