Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions on this...

My Harness was in pretty rough condition... I took it all out and unwrapped it and a few of the wires are cut half way through. I am looking to replace it. My question is, can I retro fit a older harness to my bike? I have taken my indicators off(to achieve an older look) so it seems like an older, more simple harness could work? Any ideas on this?

Or would I do good to just rebuild my original harness?

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey, another '73 guy.

My wiring was pretty screwy when I got mine; somebody had made some bad repairs in places, and almost all of the non-original wiring was red. The original stuff was corroding in a lot of places, so I just grabbed a few spools of 12ga. wire and started replacing everything. I didn't use a harness, though I did bundle some things with wire ties. I had very little experience with electrical systems before this, but with the schematics in the Haynes manual (not so helpful) and the owner's manual (much better), I was able to piece things together.

In short, my advice to you is that since you obviously are not going for a full restoration, having taken off the indicators, you don't really need a harness at all. I'm not sure if an older harness would match with your schematic or anything like that; maybe someone else knows this. Or, if you have a Haynes, you can compare schematics from different years (I don't have access to mine right now--maybe I can check it in a day or so.)

I recommend you save yourself some $$$: buy some wire, some connectors, and some shrink tubing and tear into it. It worked for me. Since you have a harness to cheat from, which I did not, it would probably be fairly easy for you to create a new harness if you want to, leaving out the wires you don't need. Whichever way you go, good luck with it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. That is genius. I definitely will try and build it myself. That seems a lot more fun anyways!(plus I'll save some big bucks)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts