Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Surely the timing has already been checked at 5000 rpm,and it hasn't changed.How accurate is the timing mark if you check it with the timing plug?

If you move the stator plate 1/32" clockwise,it will retard the ignition approx 2.5 degrees.Even if the timing was right to start with,that would cause no harm.

How good is your fuel?What's the Anti-Knock Index?Does it contain ethanol?This will affect how much timing you can use.

If the pistons had more than 0.0045" clearance at the bottom of the skirt,this shouldn't happen.The cylinders will probably clean up with a hone and not be too loose.They usually do,even if a piston melts.
Thanks for the response, I value your experience. As posted above I originally thought it was a blown EI so the timing has been removed and reinstalled so my original strobe timing is undone. I did mark the cases so I could return close to the settings but that won't be any guarantee of accuracy. This 64 engine has no access port or notch in the crank for static timing so I purchased a later year primary cover to facilitate use of a strobe and used the stick method to determine TDC. Looks like I'll be buying a dial indicator to get an accurate mark at TDC, especially if 2° is going to be the difference between running or blowing up.

The last "pure" gasoline station in my area now has started selling only ethanol (up to 10%) mixed fuel so I'm out of luck in that arena. Best anti-knock here is 91.

I'll be shipping the cylinders and pistons to a regional shop that does very good work, he'll know if I can escape with a hone job or if it needs an overbore. I'm betting I measured the clearance incorrectly and dinged myself through ignorance.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ach, new barrels for me. The postal service dropped my package and bent the lower sleeve on the left cylinder. Honing is a moot point now...

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
Compensation?

It depends on the size of your damaged barrels, but you might have a chance to get back to standard size?

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Bummer. Hope they were insured. Get paid for new replacement jugs and then have these sleeved back to std bore. Shop should be able to tell you if they are salvageable.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Shop should be able to tell you if they are salvageable.
It seems I was already at the last overbore size, this shop doesn't recommend going 100 over and he's not keen on sleeving. It'll give me a chance to start over with a clean set of barrels so I'm just accepting my fate and moving on. Oy, the fins were perfect...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Left liner got bent below the fins when the package apparently got dropped onto a hard surface in transit. I've turned the matter over to an expert mechanic and I plan to follow his advice. Trying to scrimp and save has only cost me more $ so far and I'd rather just be riding.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts