Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Wiring Advice Needed - Headlight Mod

5K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  fredsprint 
#1 ·
I installed LED halos and strips inside my 2008 Sprint ST 1050 headlight assembly. I wired them directly to the ‘Sidelight’, or what we refer to here in the U.S. as the ‘Park’ lights. So, whenever the ignition is on (whether the bike is running or not), the LED’s are on, as are the 'Park' lights and the 2 DIPs (Dims in the U.S.). Nothing too terribly complicated, just soldered the LEDs to the 'Park' light wires.

Now for the more complicated part (at least for me it is a bit intimidating, as I don't want to screw anything up).

I recently imported a Euro-style headlight assembly from Australia (I believe it was off of a 2001 Sprint ST 955). Now, before I get lectured on the legal issues associated with this, I get it. I never intend to ride my bike without the headlights on. I want to be able to have just my LED's on when I am parked and hanging out or at a bike show, etc. I am too old and too conservative to think I would ever try to kill all my lights to outrun the PoPo.

Ideally, here is how I would like it to work, and am looking for advice on how to correctly wire it to my 2008 Sprint ST 1050:

1. When switch is in ‘Off’ position, I would like ALL lights to be off, including LED’s, Park, and DIP’s.
2. When switch is here, I would like just the LED’s/Park lights to be on (keep in mind my LED’s and Park lights are wired together already). Would be cool if the ‘PASS’ lever flashed the High Beam on this setting, but not a necessity.
3. When switch is here, I would like all lights (LED’s, Park, and Headlights) to be on. I would also like the DIP/Main switch to be able to work as it was designed to work in this setting, as well as the ‘PASS’ lever.
Of course this is my ideal setup, but if what I am trying to do is next to impossible, I am open to suggestions. I good with cutting, splicing, soldering. Just not good at reading/understanding schematics and wiring.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I just woke up and saw this. So no advice at this time. [emoji2957]

But who did you order that switch assembly from? I love having the option of turning off the lights. This is especially a useful feature when doing track days. I am also not above riding without headlights. [emoji41]

I had a BMW R1100RS that had the Euro switch assembly.

#4 · (Edited)
I recently imported a Euro-style headlight assembly from Australia (I believe it was off of a 2001 Sprint ST 955).
(@mrglasgow65 has been PMing me about intergating this switch)
As pointed out in that conversation, just for others' benefit this is NOT from an ST (which has the headlight switch on the RIGHT Switch assembly) - it is either from an RS or from a Daytona/Speed Triple (same item used on all three models but must be from a Euro/Aus spec bike, not a North American model - also from about 2003, the Euro bikes also changed to the US version fixed-on lights type switch)
These are often available on EBay UK.
They WILL be plug n play on a US/CA spec RS or S3/Daytona and 02-04 955 ST

If you have a 99-01 955 ST, get the corresponding switch for THAT model (headlight switch is part of the RIGHT switch assembly on Euro Model)
If you have an 02-04 ST, then it uses the same switch config as the RS - so you can get the RS Euro Switch variant for that application

It is not easily conducive for an 05 1050 model ST - the problem is the way the 05+ is configured with the outer Low beams always on in hi or lo setting and only the centre lamp switching - it's more complicated to have use of the on/off switch to control that model without breaking inside the switch assembly and re-wiring it. The output from the On/OFF switch goes directly to the Hi/Low switch inside the assembly - so you can turn the lights OFF - or ON and you can then select Hi OR Low - but you cannot get both Hi AND Low simultaneously which you need for OEM headlight configuration.
i.e. there is no EXTERNAL output from the connector for 'Headlights ON' - that output from the on/off switch goes INTERNALLY directly to the Hi/Lo selector at which case you only get an EXTERNAL output from Hi OR Lo but NOT both together (which you need for the actual high beam configuration with OEM lamp modules)

In the OP's case the LED DRL's and LED replacement Headlight Lighting Modules are inconsequential to operation of the switch - you simply cannot get an OUTPUT to the Low Beam Modules when the hi/lo switch is in Hi. So unless the two outer Headlight Elements are changed to Dual Mode Hi/Low type of bulbs (or LED modules) it is a lot more complicated to achieve the requested operation (without breaking into the switch and attempting to re-wire it internally).
How you would need to re-configure the switch internally would be to connect a jumper between the common pole (which comes from the On/Off switch) to the Low beam Switched Pole - externally you would also have to break the OEM connection to the Low Beam wire and connect this to terminal 6 of the main harness connector that will plug into the 'new' (Euro) switch. Plus same procedure for the Park Signal wire - connected to the 10 position of the main harness connector.

The following is the table of operating conditions with Ignition on:
Main Lighting Switch OFF - all front lights off (rear tail running light will be on)
Main Lighting Switch 'park' position - front park/position light (or DRL's in OP's case) will be on
Main Lighting switch Main position - park AND headlights will be on
a) In Low, outer lights will be on
b) in High, outer lights will be on AND centre Hi light will be on.

#5 ·
(@mrglasgow65 has been PMing me about intergating this switch)
As pointed out in that conversation, just for others' benefit this is NOT from an ST (which has the headlight switch on the RIGHT Switch assembly) - it is either from an RS or from a Daytona/Speed Triple (same item used on all three models but must be from a Euro/Aus spec bike, not a North American model - also from about 2003, the Euro bikes also changed to the US version fixed-on lights type switch)
These are often available on EBay UK.
They WILL be plug n play on a US/CA spec RS or S3/Daytona.

If you have a 955 ST, get the corresponding switch for THAT model (headlight switch is part of the RIGHT switch assembly on Euro Model)
I am not following you. So is there a switch assembly that offers the ability to switch off the headlights that will work on a US 2002 Sprint ST?

I have a slot with a plastic plug in place on my left switch gear, that is next to the lo/hi switch. What went in this slot for other countries?

#7 ·
If you scroll all the way to the top of this post, you will see a picture of the Euro-style Switch Assembly. In that slot used to be a 3 position sliding switch to be able to toggle from OFF to Park Lights to Headlights
Thanks! I told you it was early, and no coffee at that. [emoji3] Now to find one of those switch gear, or just the switch for that empty slot.

#9 ·
Ton of them under this search - & those are just the Daytonas - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...ytona+left+switch&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3
(you can also search under Speed Triple or Sprint RS)

Again be careful with the model year - by about 2003 they reverted to the non-switched item.

And again, this is only for RS or for 02-04 ST 955 - or modded as per my post above for a 1050
For 99-01 ST models, you need the RIGHT side switch ONLY from a 99-01 Euro-spec ST

#13 ·
By flashing light I meant what we call here warning light. Four turn signals flashing at the same time.
I wonder how many different colours of light switches came out of factory those years.
What you show is clearly not what my brother in low had at that time.

#14 · (Edited)
By flashing light I meant what we call here warning light. Four turn signals flashing at the same time.
That is called Hazard Warning, even on the OEM Factory Schematic

... What you show is clearly not what my brother in low had at that time.
What I showed is the RIGHT bar switch from a 99-01 ST and the original posted from the OP is the LEFT Switch from an RS
No-one has ever posted an image or claimed that yours or your brother-in-law's bike is 'oddly different' from any of the information posted here but is because their specification is not the same as what has been posted here.

The factory manual schematics show no Hazard switch on the 00-01 ST schematic - however it IS shown on the 99 ST schematic
Per parts fiche however there is only one assembly listed for 99-01 and the parts available on EBay for that switch all appear to have the Hazard switch present on the ST Left Switch assembly.
So it's fair to conclude the left switch assembly is common across the 99-01 ST, just that the hazard switch is not shown on the 00-01 schematic.
Again, recognize the schemes on the ST and the RS are different on pre 02 models and I have belaboured that fact multiple times now.

a 99-01 ST LEFT bar switch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.