Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
I'm wiring an '01 T100 from scratch, still using the stock ICU and want to make sure it functions properly. This is going on a bare bones bike with no accessories, side stand switch, clutch switch, neutral switch, etc., only the essentials to run.

Out of 9 wires on the ICU, I've identified the ones that lead to the TPS on the carbs, the leads from the pick-up coil and to the ignition coil, so that's 6 wires. The remaining 3 look like they can be grounded, does that sound correct?

I'm using the Haynes manual as a reference… it lists the 9 ICU wires like this:

2- (to #2 on HT coil)
10- (to ground)
8- (to 1 on HT coil)
5- (to #2 leads on pick-up coil & TPS)
6- (to #1 on pick-up coil)
9- (to clutch switch)
1- (to #1 on pick-up coil & #3 on side stand switch)
17- (to #1 on TPS)
4- (to #3 on TPS)

I can try and add a pic of the manual later if needed.
Thanks a ton for your help!
Cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah that would be awesome if you turned this more into a guide. I'm going to be dumbing down the wiring on my t100 and would be nice to have a good guide

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Here's a simple wiring diagram...it uses an automotive style (momentary contact) switch for the ignition, which eliminates the starter button. It does, however, show the simplist way of wiring the ignitor to eliminate all the unnecessary safety items (e.g. sidestand switch), but retains the good safety features (turn signals, horn, etc.).

Good luck with your wiring project.

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think this is it. Looks like the links to the member albums got broken during the transition to the new site software. Is this something that can be fixed @Admin?

Thanks again BonnieBlack - I'm sure it will come in handy - although, seeing as it doesn't give color codes for the wires as it's probably for creating your own harness and I'm trying to trace lack of power to the ICU on an existing wiring harness, the pin-out dpcustoms posted is more what I need at this point after all. My Haynes seems to have run out of Ink Color selections that day, or, for whatever reason the colors aren't the same.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@BonnieBlack this one is actually really good. I assume the top left is the igniter? thats the part that starts confusing me. everything works on my bike its just that I dont completely understand how to tell which wire is which on the igniter. honestly after sitting down and reading a couple of forums and thinking about it I'm just kind of figuring out what the igniter exactly does. the picture would be better if it was color coded. edit: I just found the pin out of the igniter in my haynes manual

·
Registered
56 Posts
@BonnieBlack this one is actually really good. I assume the top left is the igniter? thats the part that starts confusing me. everything works on my bike its just that I dont completely understand how to tell which wire is which on the igniter. honestly after sitting down and reading a couple of forums and thinking about it I'm just kind of figuring out what the igniter exactly does
That is probably because so many people and manuals call it so many different things other than the Ignition Control Module- marshallsmithe27 - but, then, the one Official Triumph Workshop manual I've been blessed enough to browse through calls it "The Igniter" if memory serves.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've seen it called an ICM, ICU, Igniter. Next its going to be an IED lol. My bike is completely stripped and I would love to completely kill the wiring harness. I cut mine down last year by a lot. I got rid of the kickstand switch and moved the key switch to the front where it usually goes on a Bonneville. I deleted the airbox and put a tiny lithium battery under my seat on my America. There isnt a lot of room under the America seats so I need minimal wiring. The harness I have now is the stock one just slimmed down works just fine I just want a wiring harness that isnt visible at all because my battery isnt. I was hit recently so I ordered a lot of really nice parts. I am contemplating a real chopper wiring harness like this versus the m.unit side. I really like the simplicity of the chopper wiring because I like things super simple and real. this would be all electrical and nothing digital which would be great and easy.
the last step is to make a new wiring harness. I have push buttons instead of the stock hand controls

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've seen it called an ICM, ICU, Igniter. Next its going to be an IED lol. My bike is completely stripped and I would love to completely kill the wiring harness. I cut mine down last year by a lot. I got rid of the kickstand switch and moved the key switch to the front where it usually goes on a Bonneville. I deleted the airbox and put a tiny lithium battery under my seat on my America. There isnt a lot of room under the America seats so I need minimal wiring. The harness I have now is the stock one just slimmed down works just fine I just want a wiring harness that isnt visible at all because my battery isnt. I was hit recently so I ordered a lot of really nice parts. I am contemplating a real chopper wiring harness like this versus the m.unit side. I really like the simplicity of the chopper wiring because I like things super simple and real. this would be all electrical and nothing digital which would be great and easy. View attachment 750054
the last step is to make a new wiring harness. I have push buttons instead of the stock hand controls

Very Nice! My problem is I went to Walton's Mountain to pick up a project "Bobber" The guy said engine turns over but he couldn't get it to run - it was supposed to have a "Bolt" on hardtail I was going to use on another bonnie I have, but upon arrival I found it was welded at the top and the wiring harness he said was included was just a jumbled ball of wires in a box - But, after making the 8 hour trip - I couldn't leave it. Now I'm debating to continue trying to, as you said chop my extra wiring harness down ( as I can't get power TO the ICU therefore, no fire at plugs) or start from scratch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That looks like a really nice pick up you got actually. I recommend you buy a used harness from eBay. you cant get a complete and working one for about $50-$60. Buy that and tear it down. For $60 you can see how well it runs

·
Registered
56 Posts
That looks like a really nice pick up you got actually. I recommend you buy a used harness from eBay. you cant get a complete and working one for about $50-$60. Buy that and tear it down. For $60 you can see how well it runs
Actually I ordered a used one from pinwall used parts for $153 bucks - had more splices in it than a live vanilla ice album. That's the one I'm trying to use - but, can't figure out why no power TO the ICU - I like your idea of eliminating some of the redundant safety switches. But, I'm not that good at following the Haynes layout. I was hoping someone could tell me where to find ( in the Haynes Manual) the pinout dpcustoms posted, and the answer to his question about grounding the remaining three wires:
" Out of 9 wires on the ICU, I've identified the ones that lead to the TPS on the carbs, the leads from the pick-up coil and to the ignition coil, so that's 6 wires. The remaining 3 look like they can be grounded, does that sound correct?

I'm using the Haynes manual as a reference… it lists the 9 ICU wires like this:

2- (to #2 on HT coil)
10- (to ground)
8- (to 1 on HT coil)
5- (to #2 leads on pick-up coil & TPS)
6- (to #1 on pick-up coil)
9- (to clutch switch)
1- (to #1 on pick-up coil & #3 on side stand switch)
17- (to #1 on TPS)
4- (to #3 on TPS)

I can try and add a pic of the manual later if needed."
<<<<<<<< That would have been nice.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've read the 3 can be grounded on other forums but I am unsure of that myself. you dont really even need to run the TPS. although I would recommend using it since you will get the best running engine. I have forgot to plug it back in so many times and it runs just fine. maybe @BonnieBlack can chime in if he knows the answer. this is a photo I found that I think is relevant to your bike. I only see one coil though and my bike has two

·
Registered
56 Posts
That one must be the T100? Min's an *01 Bonnie but the pinouts are shown different than that - maybe I should try using this one when I get to the shop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm just trying to find which is supposed to bring power To the icu - It may have to ground intricately and looks like I'll probably have to take your approach and start unwrapping the loom and trace from the Fuse # 11 if what i've seen on the diagrams here are applicable to my bike.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts