Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start wiring up a T140E 1978 model [early models were built using T140V components for the period except sold with MK 11 Carbs] Positive earth and points

Took the opportunity in gathering parts and decided to use a Regulator Rectifier & 5 Way Male Plug Fr Honda CB250 CBR400 CBR600 CBR900 1100XX - as recommended on this site by Stuart a few months ago. Aim to fit it on the tray next to the coils.

But before I start wiring I need to determine if I have single or three phase alternator model - can I use an Ohms test on the three leads to find out.

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
Hi Bill,

I need to determine if I have single or three phase alternator model
Can you look in the inside circumference of the stator? You can see the ends of the coil cores - single-phase has six, three-phase has nine.

Or can you find the 5-figure number on the stator? 47252 would be a 'low-output' (10.5A @ 5,000 rpm) 3-phase, 47244 would be a 'high-output' (14.5A @ 5,000 rpm).

An Ohms test might work, if we knew what the values were ...

Fwiw, it'd be quite surprising to find a 3-wire single-phase stator on a '78; Lucas didn't supply 'em after sometime in '68 or '69, so a p.o. would've had to have fitted it.

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts