Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read these forum all the time.. First time posting..

This post is for information (will be updated until problem is resolved) and any help if you have any additional information, please share.

Little over month ago my bike (17' T120), unexpectedly turn off as I was parking it at work. Didn't think much of it at first, but after I finished parking, I attempted to restart the engine. The dashboard was going crazy lighting up like a Christmas tree. Lucky for me I had it scheduled for the Headstock tidy recall (I know its a year late, I'll explain later). While wait to get it towed to the dealership, I did a parking lot investigation. Discover while moving the handlebars from full lock left to full lock right slowly and back slowly. I could find a sweet spot to start the bike, but once I move the handlebars it shut off. So, with my limited understanding of the Headstock tidy recall, during the installation of the recall if the technician notices damage in the recall area. Triumph will replace any damaged parts. With my parking lot investigation over I was assuming that my problem was coming from the headstock area.... Fast forward, recall is complete at the dealership. And I get a call from them saying ' We completed your recall and didn't find any damage in that area... But we have a new problem the bike won't shut off. Turned the key to the off position and pulled it out and it is still on (just lights) ' . Me on the phone " WHAT! and WHAT! ". After I picked my brain up off the floor, I asked the dealership to perform a diagnoses to find the problem. A bit later (like a week), they got back to me and said ' We found the issue. There are wires ripped apart under the gas tank. And that will be $680 (I don't remember the price) for a new wiring harness plus 8 hours of labor '. So in shock I couldn't understand how you could have a 3 year old bike with wiring ripping under the gas tank, this make no sense. So asked if there is any other options because this isn't a normal wear and tear problem. They responded with lets try a goodwill warranty request..... Weeks (like almost 4 weeks) later Triumph finally responded to that request and asked for more pictures that was it. This is the dealer update I got today. This is where everything stands.

Little bit of backstory on the bike. Its 2017 Triumph T120 Black. I bought it brand new in late 2016. Because I live in Hawaii, I use my bike to commute and as of last check it had 41,000 miles on it ( I ride a lot). Only has small mods done to it like : Saddlebags ( not Triumph ones), Decat X-pipe, Barrel grips from Triumph, Bar end mirrors, and Tubeless conversion on the rims. I installed all the mods myself. The schedule maintains is always perform by the dealership. The recall was missed last year so I decided to catch it on the next service interval. Also last year my hazard lights were acting up. Only one side worked, but my turn signals worked so I wasn't concerned (could of been the first sign of the problem, not sure).

Thank you for reading this novel. Again, hope this helps anyone out there. And if you have any info or same issue please share.

For me now this raise the question if this bike will continue to be reliable for what I use it for. I recently just picked up a 87' BMW K75s. Makes me think if I should hop over to a BMW. The K75 runs like a dream (it also only has 17k miles on it). T120 was great when it was running but maybe its not up to the task.

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
977 Posts
I had a similar issue but on a smaller scale. My clocks would turn off when I turned my handlebars all the way to the left. Just the clocks; the bike continued to run. If I backed off a few degrees shy of full left lock, the clocks came back on. The dealership found that a wire had been frayed by lower touring screen bracket. The dealership charged me $400.00 for the repair (most of which was their time hunting for the broken wire). I took it like a man because I was the one who installed the bracket. Your issue sounds like the manufacturer's mistake though.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
FWIW when I took delivery of my new T120 over four years ago now I noticed that the wiring harness would wrap tightly around the head stock with the bars turned fully to the right. Damage to the wires seemed to be a real possibility, since borne out by the experiences of others and a recall. I made a little more length in the wires by undoing the clamp and sliding the wires forward. I also resolved never to turn the bars fully right to the stop. No problems to this day.

My buddy just took delivery of a 2020 T120 Ace edition. There's plenty of length in the same harness now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pudge and tsmgguy for your response and input.

* Update*
Triumph got back to the dealer and said they would honor the Goodwill warranty request. Right now the dealer is waiting to be told what to do to repair the bike. (pretty positive they will replace the entire harness but I'm waiting to find out)

·
Registered
7 Posts

* Update*
Triumph got back to the dealer and said they would honor the Goodwill warranty request. Right now the dealer is waiting to be told what to do to repair the bike. (pretty positive they will replace the entire harness but I'm waiting to find out)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2016 T-120 things stopped working finally quit. Wires were to short at head stock and were breaking one at a time. Short story was still under warranty and dealer changed entire harness a big nasty job!

·
Registered
3,434 Posts

* Update*
Good for you! I'll try the same tactic with my dealer is the original harness ever fails on my 2016 T120.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
back in the air cooled bikes Forchetto noted poor wiring made up by whoever!! chinese!! i found poor connections when i changed my rear turn sigs + likely wiring looms prolly poorly made!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for there responses

Update
I just got the bike back. Everything works great and didn't pay a penny. Really happy Triumph ate the cost on that one it was quite messed up. Get back out there put another 40k miles on it.

My '87 BMW K75s and '17 Triumph T120

1 - 9 of 9 Posts