Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've followed pretty much the same drill as Gleamintwin for winterizing this year: Sta-bil in the tank, battery tender, WD-40 on the rims.

I store my bike in the garage under a plastic painter's tarp - the tarp just to keep the dust off.

Here's my question - is the tarp putting me at any risk of explosion from the gasses escaping the battery during the charge phase?

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Good point, Pete. I just use fitted sheets for mine, so the cotton allows vapors to pass through. Triumph make a cover for about $100 that I'm told allow vapors through. I figure if you are inside, the important point is to just cover from debris/dust.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
you dont want plastic. period.
you need something that breathes, even an old sheet to keep the dust off would be better than plastic, which will trap moisture
G

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point on the old sheet Geoff.

I'll probably raid the linen closet on the weekend. Yet another move that will endear me to SWMBO .

P

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
for maximum effect, snatch the one off the bed, march out and put it on the bike.
have a good chuckle, then 6 months on the couch :razz:
G.

·
Registered
107 Posts
for maximum effect, snatch the one off the bed, march out and put it on the bike
Good idea, help impregnate the bike with that sexy smell :wink:

On the other hand, that smell PLUS gas and rubber, you might feel an overpowering urge to sleep with Bonnie in the garage.. :hammer:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I spoil my bikes really bad. Since the Bonnie is so easy to take apart, that's what I do. I bring the fuel tank in the basement, along with the battery for the tender. I also bring the Corbin seat in. Side covers come off and are stored indoors as well. The bike is put up on the center stad, the front tire is blocked up with a piece of 2x4 to keep the rubber off the ground. I place plastic wrap around the bike loosely because to help keep road salt off of it and let it breathe, The cars drop alot salt up here. Then I put the motorcycle cover on it. The Daytona has been backed into the mini-shelter I made to store the snowmobile in inside the garage, which is 2x4s and plastic sheets on the side facing the cars. The cover is put on it, which covers the bike really well because it's one of those super jumbo touring covers. The battery tender cable is left where I can get at it once a week. Tank is full and stabil is in it. Whew! It is worth the effort because the nasty salt can really screw up the fasteners. Oh, also spend some time cleaning the Bonnie frame with black chrome polish.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I put a bike cover on my T100 for a week last winter. I took it off because I couldn't stand not seeing it every day. I can deal with not riding for a brief time, but I've gotta be able to ogle it, sit down for a beer in the garage and look at that lovely bike.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
BadRufus - I know the feeling. There's nights in January when the garage isn't much warmer than outside, but I have to go out there for a few minutes look at the bikes, and remember the good rides from last summer, and daydream about the upcoming ones.

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are some posts mentioning battery tenders. Last week I picked-up a Deltran Battery Tender Plus from my local Interstate Battery dealer. This is an affordable yet fantastic maintenance device! It comes with a mini harness that screws onto the battery terminals as well as the standard alligator clips. I routed mine so it emerges beside my ignition lock (SM left buttock location). It even has a weather-cap to keep the elements out. No need to remove the battery. Just plug it in anytime and leave it connected all the time. This is not a trickle charger as they can cause damage. This is an intelligent battery management device that constantly monitors the battery and adjusts for ambient temperature. Hassle-free and a real gem. They claim a battery properly "tendered" will last 4-5 times longer. This I will have to see to believe but at a price less than one battery, you just cannot go wrong. If you wish to convince your better-half, our bikes are 12 Volt so it can also be used on the family vehicle(s) as well. I love this thing !
:-D :upthumb: :bday:

·
Registered
353 Posts
What's with the WD-40 on the rims? I thought WD was an evaporating oil? FWIW, I know a few guy's who put a heavy coat of wax on their chrome and say it looks perfect come spring time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.