Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 bike which has not been used for ca. 4 weeks and is unlikely to see action for another 3 at least.

I read a number of posts on petrol going stale and I was wondering if this might affect me and if yes, how I might prevent any damage.

Before I parked the bike I filled it up (I guess I might have used half a litre of fuel btw the petrol station and garage) but I did not put in any additive or stabiliser. I had a look in the tank today and the petrol has a slight pea greenish hue, is clear, and the tank itself seems to be mostly clear with some pitting/clouding towards the front and the sides of the tank (the bike is on a rear paddock stand). Should I fill it up with fresh petrol and add some stabilizer, add some additive, or just relax and forget about it….

Thanks

·
Banned
557 Posts
I regularly use "Seafoam." Comes in a white metal can here in the US. It does a great job of cleaning out the fuel system and is perfect for an additive while bike is down for the winter.

I used it on an old Toyota pickup I had that was barely idleing, after a half an hour or so of running Seafoam through it and reving the engine and have a thick swirling cloud of crap shoot out the tail pipe, the truck ran PERRRRFECT.....just gotta know where to pour it in. (aside from crankcase and gas tank)

·
Registered
361 Posts
+1 on Seafoam. It's like $7-$8 a pint.

Amazing stuff. Makes my old carb'd ninja idle smooooooooth.

Pump gas is a blend of many different hydrocarbons some are classified as aromatic, naphthenes, paraffins, etc.

I believe that seafoam increases the solubility of the gas solution so that when cold, these seperate substances dont 'fall out' of the solution. ...but i'm no chemist.

Without seafoam, I notice a greenish sludge that settles in some places at the bottom of the tank. Doesnt look like rust, and its a relatively new bike. I think its solutes falling out of the gasoline solution.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
You should always add Stabil or other stabilizer when the bike will be sitting. It is no harm as the bike will run fine with the stabilizer in it.

If the gas smells like terpentine, then it has turned bad. You should siphon out as much as possible and put good gas in there and ride the bike to get all the bad gas out.

But, after 4 weeks, you should be OK.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's less of a problem for FI bikes -- old gas quickly gums up carburetor pilot jets. 4 weeks is no big deal, just add Stabil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will top up with fresh fuel and add some sort of stabiliser (if they sell something like this in this country!). My worry is not for the past4 weeks but more for the next 4 weeks that the bike will have to be parked

·
Registered
191 Posts
I winterized my bike last week. I threw a plastic sheet over it and put a small heater under it. This kept the notoriously weak battery from draining from our brutal temps in the range of 15F. Of course the plastic came off yesterday as we got back in to the low 50s. Today got to 63F. Should have 1 more week of unrideable weather, probably in the middle of February.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts