Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just picked up my 09 speedmaster today, I live in the north east and the riding seasons is kaput. I may be able to ride it tomorrow but after that... probably not... My question is: because i wont make it to the 600 mile service before storing it for the winter :mad: is there anything special i need to do? I mean it will be stored with the mineral oil stuff they send you home with is that bad?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I can't help you with your question, but have to say the thought of putting my Thruxton up for the winter is downright depressing. You are welcome to join us in Texas and ride year round if you like.

Congrats on the new bike. Hope ya'll have some great adventures.

·
30,318 Posts
Hi all,
Just picked up my 09 speedmaster today, I live in the north east and the riding seasons is kaput. I may be able to ride it tomorrow but after that... probably not... My question is: because i wont make it to the 600 mile service before storing it for the winter :mad: is there anything special i need to do? I mean it will be stored with the mineral oil stuff they send you home with is that bad?
You won't hurt it, don't worry. The oil can stay in it. Run it and get it hot before parking it to get the moisture out of it.

There are a couple of threads about winterizing - links to them are in the "great source of info" sticky at the top of twins tech talk.

Basically - pull the battery, take it in the house where it's warm, charge it once in a while, add stabil to the fuel, run it enough to get the good stabil'd fuel in to the carbs and / or drain the carbs, and you should be good. Er - do the stabil before pulling the battery.

Hopefully your loveley new machine will be in a garage over winter - depending on what your rodent population is like, stick a dryer sheet in the air intake and in the ends of the exhaust pipes to keep the little so and so's out of there - and cover your bike with an old cotton sheet.

And go and whisper sweet nothings to it over the winter months.

Don't laugh, I actually do that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you again prop! You are quickly becoming my new best friend. Rodents... well we do have them, we live in the woods I havent heard the dryer sheet trick before! I will do that! Hubby has a harley that he usually covers the pipes with baggies but they got the gixxer this year :( wont start. . . so it has been on my mind!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't help you with your question, but have to say the thought of putting my Thruxton up for the winter is downright depressing. You are welcome to join us in Texas and ride year round if you like.

Congrats on the new bike. Hope ya'll have some great adventures.
I know, its really sad and figures I bought it right at the end of the season! It will make the spring that much sweeter or me that much nuttier by spring! :eek:

i am a northern girl, I hate the heat so unfortunately texas would only satisfy me in the dead of winter ;)

·
30,318 Posts
The dryer sheets work - the rodents hate the stink. Basically, rodents like little dark nooks and crannies, so pull the seat off, and expose every little hidden place, and then stuff a dryer sheet in it. I stuff dryer sheets all over the bikes - on every inlet, on top of the engine - around the bottom of the wheels. Oh yeah - get the tires off the concrete. It doesn't do any harm to cover the tires in bin liners so that the sun and dry air don't get on them - helps prevent dry rot. Stuff dryer sheets in there too.

Whenever I have done this, I have NEVER suffered rodent incursions. Man - the one year I didn't do it - my poor Ninja....................

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
09 Speedy

Isnt that EFI?? If it is- then there are different things needed! 1. I would fill & stabil the EFI vs running dry. 2 .I would drain the dino oil & fill w fresh dino ( cheap stuff). Jack it/ block it would be nice as well? The filter doesnt matter. 3. The battery out & in the house w/ an occas trickle charge - nice as well? IF it is carb- drain them! & fill the tank & stabil.
When the riding time comes- drain the cheAPdino & fill w/ good dino & fininsh the 5-600 mi thing & do what the manual says. I think you are EFI & you dont want to run it dry, just stabil in the FULL tank & in the EFI, & the rest above. I also recommend Fla & ride!! Not happenin so the above will work. Stay warm & do some mods while she sits!

·
30,318 Posts
Dayum.

I am so wrapped up in my own carbie bikes that I forgot the whole EFI thing!

Well done CAPTDON! I'm glad there are folks here to catch my fowl ups!

Follow CAPTDONS advice.

I stand by my dryer sheet advice though!

·
30,318 Posts
so you say drain the mineral stuff and put in the real stuff?
Doing this will certainly not do any harm, but you haven't got many miles on the bike yet, so you will be quite safe leaving the oil that you have in there.

If you do change the oil, just put in an inexpensive non synthetic motorcycle oil.

For the rest of it - sounds like stabil is the way to go. I've never winterized and EFI bike but that should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts