Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so the Thrux is off to Bob Farnham Tuning on Monday for the following - 904cc kit, porting, big valve head, hot cams and a lightened flywheel. I already have K&Ns, FCR39s and Mototwin pipes. Currently I've had Dyno results at 63.1 rwhp and 50.81 ftlbs. Updated Dyno results and print outs after Christmas and a road riding report (if I can find me wooly underwear!!).

I recently fitted Sport Demons and they're vastly more grippy than the original Metzelers but make the bike quite twitchy so I've gone for a steering damper and Racetech cartidge emulators - report on those too after the festive season.

I already have Ikon rear shocks and they've stopped all the rear end wallowing.

A Merry Christmas to all and roll on the warmer weather.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Johnny,

if I remember well you have mototwin swept-back headers as I do. I believe that they are cutting down power and I would be glad to know what Bob Farnham thinks about them. I am not sure if it's because of their shape but most probably it's due to the lack of the balance pipe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, Bob did mention that they're not the best design for performance but I didn't pin him down on why. I guess it would be something to do with the lack of a balance pipe as they're not exactly a torturous design! For my bike, however, I want to keep them. They look fantastic and I'd be willing to trade off a couple of HP to keep the looks. If it turns out to be the balance pipe I'll see if we can figure out it's best location and retro fit one. I've plenty of stainless tubing in various sizes. I'll let you know the verdict.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I spoke at length with Bob when I dropped off the bike yesterday. It would seem that the balance pipe is the most likely candidate although the mufflers are slightly more restrictive than shorty megas (but have a nice tone and look so I'll be keeping them). When I get the bike back I'll do a Dyno run on my local Dyno and then fit a balance pipe and Dyno again to see if there's any difference. Bob said that the location of the balance pipe wasn't critical - it was more important for increasing the exhaust system capacity.

·
Registered
62 Posts
....I recently fitted Sport Demons and they're vastly more grippy than the original Metzelers.....
I don't have a cafe racer. I have an '05 Speedmaster. However, the OEM front tire is a sport-touring Metzeler 110/80 - 18 M/C 58H TL LASERTEC, although the rear is a cruiser ME 880 MARATHON.

First tire change I went with the Pirelli Sport Demon front. I absolutely concur that the Pirelli Sport Demon is more grippy than the original Metzeler's and quicker turn-in as well.

BTW, I'm trying to trade my Speedy in on a '09 Thruxton..........we'll see.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I spoke at length with Bob when I dropped off the bike yesterday. It would seem that the balance pipe is the most likely candidate although the mufflers are slightly more restrictive than shorty megas (but have a nice tone and look so I'll be keeping them). When I get the bike back I'll do a Dyno run on my local Dyno and then fit a balance pipe and Dyno again to see if there's any difference. Bob said that the location of the balance pipe wasn't critical - it was more important for increasing the exhaust system capacity.
Thank you Johnny. Let us know when you fit the balance pipe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts