Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
good on ya!

eya ed_h!

pix did'nt show for me and i tried 3 different browsers. no biggie.

glad yer makking progress, if i'm lucky this year i'll be doing the same to mine and those pixs and comments will come in handy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well done..!!

The work you have put in to date is a credit to you. I look forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the bike, if it is half as good as the engine it will be a stunner..!!.

One question, you seem to have reused the nuts holding the oil pump to the block, was this because they were in good condition or were you having difficulty sourcing replacements as I did?.

Cheers,

Peter

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pecon--

Yes, the oil pump nuts were in good shape, so I reused them. I'm using blue Loctite on everything.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I went back and looked at the photos showing the condition of the bike before you began, Sweet Jeez Louise!!! A relic of rust!
You are doing a fine job of ressurecting the machine indeed! Hope it starts on kick #1.

·
Registered
601 Posts
ed h,

Looks like you are doing some good work on that ride of yours.
And taking your time to do it right the first time as well.

Pookybear

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
t100rc--

Thanks for pointing out the problem. I must have fat-fingered it, and then cut and paste propagated the error. My browser seems to correct for it, but apparently some don't.

It should be fixed now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You're doing beautiful work. I know you're disappointed that it's taking longer than you had hoped, but keep doing things 100% like you have been and in the end, you will be very happy that you took the extra time.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
After looking at what you've done with yours, I wish I'd have had the patience (and resources and tools) to do that with mine. I just wanted a "decent" looking rider when I started my rebuild and that's all I got. Yours is going to be gorgeous. Hang in there and keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
How are you cleaning your parts?

Ed,

Beautiful work! I am at about the same stage as your 3rd picture, i.e, the bike is apart, and the engine on a stand. My biggest headache right now is how to clean everything.

How did you clean the aluminum cases on the engine? They look really bright. I plan on polishing the outer cases, but am not sure how to handle the main engine cases. When you used a dishwasher, what kind of detergent did you use, as I understand regular dish detergent is not good.

For the head, I have heard opposite opinions on never to glass bead, or to use glass beading. I am also trying to figure out how to restore the fasteners. I bought a Caswell CopyCad plating kit, and will be giving it a try.

Any details and tips on your metal restoration procedures would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Good work!
The only observation I have is with regard to the tyres.
All tyres, whether they`re being used or not, have a life of 5 years-ish and ought to be replaced.
This is from a motorcycle training site:
"Now, remember the compound "goes off", the recommended life of a tyre is only 6 years (2yrs shelf life if stored properly and 4 years on the bike). Those super-sticky's with good tread, on that bike you're buying might actually offer little grip. They might have died years ago."

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
upstate--

The polishing is just a matter of finer and finer abrasives, ending with a polishing wheel. I'll probably do the head the same way.

In the dishwasher, I use the same thing we use for dishes. Don't remember the brand. Dawn, maybe? I've never seen any of the problems that some people predict.

All case fasteners are new stainless allen socket heads. I've got a Caswell kit, too, and will probably use it on the head bolts and maybe some other fasteners.

Caulky--

Thanks for the observation on the tires. I actually had the same thought. Since even when the bike is finished, I'll probably only ride it occasionally, I'm inclined to try them as is at least for a while.

·
Super Moderator
13,274 Posts
ed-

I took the liberty of combining your new update thread to your original project post so that the new link in the "Member's Projects" sticky topic would include the entire, continuing story.

Good going so far!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Ed,

Sorry I'm being compulsive on this, but I am trying to figure out the cleaning and fastener thing myself at the moment.

When I studied your photos in more detail, are the front bolts holding the engine cases together new stainless steel replacement fasteners, or the cleaned up original ones? If they are new stainless, where did you source them?

Also, in regards to the dishwashing detergent, you didn't mean Dawn soap did you? I would suspect that would have foamed up and expanded right out of the dishwasher (since I remember doing that as a kid, and after standing in the corner for a while, learned never to do it again!). It's just that I have heard so much about avoiding caustic dishwasher detergent on aluminum, I would hate to wash it in the wrong stuff, and find my cases etched or weakened.

It would seem like a good business opportunity, for someone to market a reliable parts-cleaning detergent specifically for dishwashers. Of course, I'm not sure our wives would be supportive. Maybe we can talk that late night Chamois guy into selling it on TV!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
upstate--

No, those front bolts are just cleaned up originals. Since most of them will have to come out to mount the engine in the frame, I don't consider them necessarily the final hardware. I haven't decided yet if I'll use them as-is, replate them, or get new.

I just looked, and the dishwasher detergent was regular Cascade for dishwashers. I'm not sure where I got the idea it was Dawn. I've never seen any evidence of bad effects on aluminum. I've even put polished aluminum pieces in there--nary a blotch.

Good thinking on the business idea. We could repackage Cascade in single-use portions, maybe adding something inert to change the color a little bit, and sell them for $12.95 plus only $7.95 postage and handling.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts