Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Couldn't immediately find information on this topic. Let me explain what's going on:
Winter is coming and since I have a second all-weather motorcycle and I only use the precious Thruxton (2005 carbed model) when it's not raining, I will probably store it in the garage until next spring. What should I do to take care that my bike is stored under perfect conditions and it fires right up next season? All tips are welcome.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
1) Add fuel stabilizer to a fresh tank of fuel. Then turn the fuel petcock off and run the bike until it dies from lack of fuel. Remove the screws in the float bowls which are at the bottom of the carbs on the outside, no need to remove the carbs.

2) change the oil + filter. No need to due this again in the spring.

3) wax your bike.

4) inflate the tires to the proper pressures. 33 psi front 38 psi rear.

5) At spring wake up add some carb cleaner to the fuel and go riding.

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
Put the battery on a Battery Tender periodically. I plug mine in for a while every two or three weeks.

I leave the bike full of gasoline, to the filler neck, with a big dose of stabilizer throughout the fuel system, and let it sit like that until the spring, without draining anything. So far, that has worked for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here in Northwest Indiana riding season is quickly coming to a close. For the last 20 years I've followed this schedule.

Fill up tank with fresh fuel, add stabilizer, ride around for 5 or 6 miles. Top off tank with stabilized fuel from can used for lawn mower and snowblower
Change oil and filter
Clean and lube chain
Inflate tires to proper pressure
Clean and wax bike
Remove batteries and take into nice warm house. Add battery tender, rotating to each battery every couple of weeks.

This schedule has worked for me for many bikes and boats. Never had a problem with clogged carbs or injectors.

Winter still sucks, though.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Winter!

Things can be variable as to length of winter.
But hoping it is less than 6 months, few things to do.
Obviously turn of fuel tap, make sure fuel tank is full, this stops any corrosion and a big air surface area is what will degrade fuel.
Good clean and polish
Clean and oil chain.
Battery tender.
Cover the bike with cotton sheets this will allow breathing dont use plastic!
Check regularly.
If you have an understanding wife move bike in doors!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
i would ad one more thing.
if you have a bike jack or a center stand get both tires off the ground to prevent a flat spot. if not roll it to a different position every month.
last year i was able to ride till the middle of dec.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you cannt put it on a centerstand and are going to put the wheels on the groud put cardboard under both tires also, cheap to do. Also plug up the exhaust, and intake snorkel (if you dont have the airbox removed). Put a dryersheet under the seat where the battery compartment is (if you removed the battery like you should) to stop rodents from building a nest. I sprayed mine down with Amsoil MP to stop rust. If you can put 100% gasoline with no ethanol in the tank, we have 2 stations near my house with gas without ethanol. And lock her down! My kneighbor had a bike of his stolen during the winter a while back, when you wouldn't think of it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, all great advice! Will take care of that next week. Any specific type of fuel stabilizer you would recommend?
I have to agree, winter sucks, luckily I have my second bike, which I even ride in snow, so I can preserve my riding skills and get back on the thruxton when the sun comes back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts