Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have had this bonnie for a few years now and i love it in the summer, spring and fall - it's basically useless whenever the weather drops below 50 degrees though... it does eventually start in the cold weather but it takes about 20 cranks and then has to warm up with high idle for like 20 minutes before I can ride it...

i always dealt with this because i didn't ride much in the winter - however, now i am using the bike to commute to work....

I need a bike that starts up on the first try, no matter what in any kind of weather - kind of like my kawasaki vulcan did.... if i cant get the bonnie to do this then i will have to sell it and buy a jap bike i suppose - or a bike with fuel injection maybe?

I am not a mechanic (not even close actually :) so i dont know if this is a problem that can be fixed or not??

I know there are a lot of posts about slow starting in the winter...

Does anyone know if it is possible to resolve this problem??? I am willing to try anything because i love the way this bike rides AND looks.

I need something that is reliable though...

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The one thing I have noticed about these bikes is that the cold starting "habits" vary depending on the idle. Mine used to be a bit of a pain and then I discovered my idle was set too low (I don't have a tach on the bike). I was idling at about 850 RPM. Once I bumped it up to 1000 RPM, it starts much quicker when cold and the choke has a very different effect.

·
Registered
257 Posts
These bikes do not have a choke per se: only an enricher circuit. It may be a bit of a pain, but I remove the left sidecover, pull the "choke" lever all the way out and stuff a rag into the air filter opening. (I have removed the snorkel.) Once it starts I remove the rag. It always starts very quickly regardless of temperature.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
No cold starting problems with mine even at below 0 C. (2001 Bonnie with standard idle jets) some early Bonnies had their idle jets upped to 42s to help with cold starts, but mine is OK
Phil

·
Registered
305 Posts
If your bike is stock, they set them up real lean. Once I opened my up(Exhaust, intake, jetting) fires right up no problem, leave the choke on for a few seconds and it keeps idles. I know I live in Texas, but we get some cold morning here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, what is a "snorkel" and how do i "open up the exhaust, intake and jetting"

and when you talk about the idle up- you're just talking about turning the idle screw (or whatever that's called) a bit more to the right (or the left) whichever makes the engine rev more, correct?

go ahead and make fun of me - i dont care, i need specific help though...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had cold starting issues and one thing that worked for me was putting a small space heater by the front tire blowing onto the engine for about 5 or so minutes before going to start it. Seems to warm things up just enough to save me the grief of having to crank it over and over again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The snorkel is that plastic tube-like thing that comes off the airbox--like a snorkel. There's a pic somewhere, maybe search on "snorkel". Regarding opening things up, they are prob referring to cutting out the airbox.

Go to the "airbox removal" threads in the stickies to at least see some pix.

I think your essential need is enriching the mixture-increasing the gas to air mixture so that you have more gas than air than your current mixture--when it's cold. By covering the snorkel, you're denying the engine air, thereby enriching the mixture, albeit temporarily. There are other things you can do to do this, obviously, and lots of people with carburated cars and bikes will change the mixture on their carbs in the winter then back to a leaner mixture when it gets warm.

Hope this helps.

Jack

·
Registered
915 Posts
MY '03 was hard to start below 50F or so. I replaced the idle jets with 42s, set one turn out - a big improvement. Still doesn't fire up like the Ducati (EFI) in the cold, but much better than it was. I believe that balancing the carbs also makes it easier to start (and it runs smoother, too).

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is why it'd be great if the modern classics came with a kickstart ala the Kawasaki W650 of a few years back. My old Yam XS650 had both electric and kick, and for winter riding in Colorado it always started quickly with the electric if I gave it 2-3 kicks first. I don't remember it starting real quick just kicking it though, except in warm weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts