Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well happy days...

The Sprint is running pretty good now and has been out for the 5 times in the last week, rain, wind, -3 degrees C, salted roads, night riding etc etc

It's now covered in crap but I have slapped a load of ACF50 all over it & plan to wash it only occasionally over the winter. The head lights are a welcome upgrade on the Sprint compared to the Speed Triple & the fairing takes the brunt of the weather fooling me that it is better out than I'd first imagined...

It's sooooo good being out and about on a bike again in all weathers, I had forgotten just how much I like the challenge of greasy wet roads. Of cause when it gets seriously icy I will take the van, but it will take a lot not to stop me hopping on the Sprint.

Gave the Speed Triple a blast on Saturday..they had salted the roads but it was dry. Have chucked in some Motul fuel clean & stabilizer in case the weather means salted roads for a long time, but it won't stop the Sprint coming out to play, only thing I suppose may suffer is the brakes...they may need a bit of TLC from time to time to save heart ache later.

Take care all
Mot

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Proper

It's cold and wet true but I bike all year, always have and always will - (Except below -5C I drive) - lets face it in the UK the only real difference to the summer is the cold !
ACF50 is great stuff - I hose off and wash every other month but that's because of mileage and the need to oil change and do maintenance as I do 100miles a day - keep an eye on those primary coil connectors the 'std's are the worst T3 problem esp in the wet weather - I soldered mine on but this is extreme....
Every time I wash the ACF off I find a clean, shiny bike underneath
Keep biking ! It isn't just fun on hot dry days !

·
Registered
396 Posts
Year-round, daily riding here in Texas. It never really snows and seldom ices-over on the roads, so no special care needed during the winter (salt, gravel). A few times a year at most, so nothing to worry about as far as long-term effects.

I suppose if I lived someplace where I had to worry about salt, I'd have some sort of daily commuter that I could hose off in the driveway after work everyday and not worry too much about cleanliness.

The Triple would be reserved for the salt-free months.

·
Registered
826 Posts
its surprising how many of these bikes get bought as a winter hack, but very quickly become your pride and joy!although, i cant help but keep mine as my pride and joy, and a winter hack!

i must admit tho, im not fantastic at cleaning my bike, even when i have been out on salty roads

·
Registered
396 Posts
its surprising how many of these bikes get bought as a winter hack, but very quickly become your pride and joy!
That's been a concern of mine every time I think about looking for a foul weather bike. I'm fanatical about cleanliness and maintenance. Truthfully, whenever I mention getting a foul weather bike to my riding friends and tell them I wouldn't be as concerned with it's cleanliness & care as I am with my other bikes - they just snicker and change the subject. They act as though it's so impossible that it isn't even worth discussing. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts