Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since alot of us have to park our bikes over the winter and use the time to work on our bikes why not share with the crew the work you have been doing.

So up here in Canada it is brutally cold and I have been working on my Bonnie with a little space heater and a blow dryer.

I want to get my Bonnie done over the winter and get it ready for spring. I am trying to create a vintage "Clubman" look with my bike so here is some of the progress:

Painted the headlight bucket black.
Pinstriped the bike in red (removed the silver)

What I am waiting to come in is my seat cowl, knee pads and superbars which I am going to powder coat black.

So in the spirit of the thread post any pics and progress you have made on your bike. Keep the thread alive by posting your progress.

·
29,948 Posts
Great idea Calliway.

I've been banging on about it in various threads on and off, but I'm doing the ARK thing, and installing predators.

As of now, carby mods are done, 140 mains and 42 pilots installed, pod filters with those silicone outers installed.

I'm also fabricating a little storage box to go under the battery box, and adding some additional pieces to the battery box / ARK kit to minimize slinging of mud and crud around the electrics.

This is the bike at the moment

I just added a sensor port to the right header crossover pipe, which is for the a/f ratio sensor.

I'm going to be using the datalogging version of the innovate LM2 system, which supposedly will be able to graph a/f ratio against engine revs - looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Also planning on doing something with the seat.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Prop,

I never thought I'd be saying this to another man, but...

...nice bung.:)

The only project I've got going this winter is re-chaulking my bathtub.:p

/Mike

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great work, this is what I am talking about. I would like to see this thread become a picto-diary of all the work folks are doing in -30 garages or their dining room.

So now when you get a step done you can post an update. I am going to have to wait a little bit before I tear down the bike for the Bella Corse Airbox removal goes in because it is just to dang cold right now. Getting all the frozen wiring back into my headlight bucket proved to be a very frustrating experience and I hope like heck I didnt break any wires.....

Prop, man that af meter sounds bloody fantastic and that bung weld looks pro.

The work we do on these machines far out weighs the cost of the bikes themselves. I would say Triumph riders customize and fiddle more than anyone second to Harley riders.

I love it, seeing all the work really gets my creative working overtime.

Oh and Haggis, over Christmas I was laying under my 02 Explorer grinding out swaybar links that had broke in -30 so I feel your pain. :)

·
29,948 Posts
Everyones excited about my bung!

I didn't do the welding by the way, I don't have that skill, but luckily I work with a guy who is excellent, and he did it for me.

I'm hoping to make a start on the sheet metal bits this weekend, if they come out well enough, then I'll post some piccies!

Nice idea for a thread, hopefully some more folks will join in!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Air Box chop up

Here is my Bonny minus its restrictor plate.

I cut the restrictor plate and put the side piece back in. The part I took out looks like this

Leaving the side part in keeps the interior of the airbox symmetrical and helps the airfow on the right carb.I know I should just throw the airbox out but this is free.

I also did a "radical baflectomy" which entails taking the pipes off , removing the rear baffle and drilling the other inside baffles out all the way. When I got done I could see daylight thru them. :)

I put in 120 main jets ad then I got to try it out. Pulls very strong, especially top end. Sound is really nice.

Next up is fork spring replacement.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I added a matching-color cargo net. :D

No projects on the horizon for me but I'm planning on doing some planned maintenance within the next weekend or two, after I buy a lift.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Understood Haggis! Sounds like my rusty frozen links that I couldn't get out of the lower control arm..... I had to grind them out laying on the floor of my unheated garage. brrrr......

Funny how working on the truck in the cold is a pain but working on the Bonnie when its cold makes me feel like I have accomplished something.

Sal:

Those are great pics and now I know what people are talking about when they talk about cutting the airbox.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bafflectomy

Trying to cut out my baffles, but my friends 1-1/4" hole saw practically vaporized yesterday. Cheap bits. Gonna try again next weekend with a proper metal grade bit and pull em out. The thing sounds like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Those red pinstripes look sweet!! My winter project is the same as all my other weekend projects.:D
Finished carving out the bottom of a Corbin seat to fit my frame and sport tank. Its for a Harley Dyna lowrider,but what the hell.Also made a quick cowl/fender for it.[in progress]
Oh,and repainted my tank.

Cut out some more frame under the seat and built a new battery box....

and I`m expecting of big box of 180s and pipe from Summit racing to make up a new exhaust.
so,yep,just the usual.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't wait to see your finished vision. It's looking mean so far and I bet that exhaust just howls.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My projects won't be radical, and I've been taking it slow so far because I've still had both available riding time & cooperative weather--until now. But it's time to start tackling the rest of my "to do" list for the winter:

1. Metal tank badges--done
2. Center stand--done
3. Headlight & taillight modulators
4. Replace stock mirrors
5. AI removal
6. NH Togas
7. Snorkel removal, Unifilter, rejet

·
Registered
659 Posts
Not nearly as ambitious as some of you guys, but I finished a couple of changes:

White sidecovers, artwork from Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian -- eagle on one side:

Turtle on the other:

Larger saddlebags with an expansion gusset so they can become "supersized":

And a last photo of me behind the latest projects:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I found cracked rubber intakes between the airbox and carbs on my 07

so the air box had to go...and that brown glue goo is just wrong.

yesterday I made the mother of all mud flaps to keep the R wheel crud off the goodies.

you would think an empire with a track record like England would put better quality rubber on their products to last more than 2 years...this rubber intake theory has been around decades and that level of "fall apart" crap on a bike built 6-06 sold new to me 11-06 as an '07 and in this condition is just as unexceptable on a civilian piece as it would be on a military piece.

they could maybe beat the colonies harder, or get the gentlemen to be "stand up guys" with a firmer handshake or something to ensure a product like a Triumph vintage mc goes out the door and stands on reputation like the old days instead of putting the cheapest POS rubber intake I've seen in quite some time.

it's no wonder products fail in the marketplace and economies fail with that level of bull ka-ka masquerading as acceptable.

I can fix it right...I still like other parts of the bike... but boo hiss on second rate crap when the good stuff has been used successfully for all the years I was coming up.

by spring this T100 should be a bit lighter.

I shied away from that until I saw exactly what the product was as designed...AI and all...now do to cheap crappy rubber intakes, Triumph blinked...the gloves and the superfluous parts are coming off.

stryofoam on the windows... new seals on the doors... a couple electric heaters and I'm almost in shirtsleeves with bad lighting

·
29,948 Posts
Nice diatribe Modre, but where are the pics of your airbox removal setup and mudflap?

I'm doing something similar so I would love to see what you have come up with. Post pics when you get a chance if you would!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oh...you want the secret stuff spread out here like a cheap floozy?

this is old conveyor belt I've had laying around for years. almost sorry to see that stash end, but this is a worthy cause.

the stock rear fender overlaps so the coverage is good. I used the 2 holes behind the battery, and the wire on the L can be sealed with permagum or silicon for good dirt bike coverage...frame to frame.

that little center flap experiment floats beneath the swingarm since all the water migrates to the tire center before flinging. the up distances for swingarm travel are just imagination so those may get fine tuned...but it all gives so clearance isn't really too much of an issue. I have yet to pull the shocks off to see what the travel actually demands.

I wanted good splash protection.

I'm tenatively looking at the stock battery box as usable, but will most likely make my own and all the mount points. I see the tapered cone pods going on this I think...tho I was also thinking a set of older looking 60's round ones with the chrome mesh might be nice.

there's also a factory routing discrepancy off the R handlebar that needs to be re-done...I have to assume the factory worker was either mis-informed, or hasn't done much cable dressing before being hired.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts