Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from Iraq Monday and yesterday began installing the parts that came in over the past few months.

Wisco HC Pistons
BC Street Cams
ProCom Ignitor
FCR39s
Bub full system

Wow, is all I can say. Aside from the changes in performance and sound, the bike has a totally different character. I have not done a dyno pull yet, but I suspect a signifigant improvement in the torque curve. At the same time, the bike pulls much stronger to the new 8300 RPM limit. The carbs are straight out of the box from BC. I am not even sure what jetting configuration I am running, but they needed only a tweak to the air screws to "feel happy" throughout the throttle range. I suspect that after my Saturday Dyno run I will spot some area for improvement. The pipes from Bub are awesome. The famous kink is gone, and they fit soooo nicely along the frame. They sit just enought higher, that it is much easier to get my bike lift under as well. I wish I bought these first, instead of dicking around with slip-ons.

Along with dialing in the carbs, I still have to install some heavier clutch springs and some new valve shims. They were quite loose after changing the cams (ex ~.43mm, in ~.27mm). Either way, I am stoked. I love the power and new feel of the throttle!

·
30,531 Posts
Wicked! Glad to have you back safe and sound, and nice job on the bike. Looking forward to seeing dyno charts!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
FCR installation

Welcome back dledinger. Any problems with the installation of the FCR39's? I expect my FCR's to arrive tomorrow or Saturday. Any special tricks to installing them? Lastily, how did you find your idle? Some poeple have stated that the lowest they can idle is around 1200-1400 rpm with the FCR's.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matt,

The install was pretty straight forward. No tricks really, they just bolted on. The idle is smooth and strong. The adjustment range is also fine...no problem reaching the factory spec of 1000, and it is capable of going lower.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thx for your experience. Good luck with the rest of the mods. When I was in the ARA (Australian Regular Army) back home, every time I returned home from the scrub, the anticipation was like I had just got my bike home from the dealer....

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
first, thanks for your service!

a close second, congrats on the new bike goodies! A word of caution: It sounds like you know what you're doing, but make sure to be easy on that new engine (new pistons, rings, etc) for a while, if you beat on a new motor on the dyno it can be bad news.

I'm looking forward to your dyno results, I don't think I've seen a run for those pistons yet. I estimate you'll be around 75-80hp and 60-65 ft lbs, based on 904s with similar mods.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks for serving!

Sounds like a lot of great upgrades.. can't wait to join you on pretty close to that same path.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would also like to say welcome back and thanks for your service. I'm very interested in seeing your dyno results also. Did you do any head work as in porting ect. ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the results are in = blah.

I guess the past seven months without riding were deceiving in terms of tuning state, and perceived power improvements.

Lots of tuning ahead of me. Sickly lean:flamedude: in the needle, and puking rich:Tongue2: in the main. Hard to find jets locally. We'll need some time to straighten these puppies out.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
good luck with the tuning. I don't have any experience with the FCRs but I've heard they can be tough to dial in, they have lots of adjustments!

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but you would pick up some hp by ditching those bubs and going back to stock headers with predators, or dominator sports, or getting a D&D 2-1 system.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweat,

Yeah, I knew buying the Bubs I was making a bit of a compromise in performance...but I like them.

You're right on the carbs....a million adjustments. Fortunately, they are all easy to get to! Hopefully I can get a range of jets in this week and back to the dyno on Saturday.

I still cannot believe how good it feels and seems to run considering it is so far out of tune. I can't wait to wake it up for real!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I did not pick up on your approach until Sweat commented on it - with the HC pistons, what's the increase in compression over stock? I am assuming the HC pistons offer a majority of the performance increase of a 904 kit without the additional increase in bore domensions (and a commensurate decrease in price for parts). Certainly worth considering.

Yesterday I got a quote for installing a 904 kit on my 2004 Thruxton - US$2500 parts and labour including $600 worth of dyno tuning.

I'm waiting for UPS to knock on the door with my FCR39's...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matt, they are 10.5:1...if I remember correctly. I know they were the same as the 904 kit. I wanted them so I didn't have to mess with my barrels. I can always bore them bigger and have sleeves pressed in, but going back to nikasil would cost.

My tuning is way too far off to begin guessing the performance improvement. Really need to get these carbs dialed in.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just caught that...$600 worth of Dyno time! Holy smokes...that would be two full days of tuning here.

I struck a deal with the shop today. $60 will buy me five seperate pulls..giving me time to swap jets and twist screws between runs. At $60 intervals....that's not too bad.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Agree, certainly is a good deal at $60 per session. I like the sounds of going down the track of HC pistons - this should pull down the costs - from memory the dealer quoted me 10.5 hours for the 904 kit

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I agree w/ sweat...
Couldn't you utilize the dyno first to dial in the A/F?
Ride and break her in, then take her back for a full run...
Then post the results!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts