Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heated grips on my bike last year, but have switched to a later model ( 2008' ) aluminum stock handlebars. And grip heaters don't work well with aluminum bars.
So what other ideas are there? Has anyone ever fit hand guards on their triple?
Lets keep warm and keep riding.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I use first-gear heated gloves and they were great last year, palms still get a bit cool without them being heated but I rode for over an hour one day in about 35-40 degrees and my hands stayed nice and toasty warm. Got the jacket liner too and they work great together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Several heated grip companies I read up say that their grips should not be used with aluminum bars, as the bars act as a heat sink and will not perform well.
I loved my old ones on my old bars.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Aluminum has far better heat transfer capabilities than steel does so likely it dissipates the heat so quickly that it doesn't really work all that well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Acerbis Dual Road Handguards plus heated grips work well for me. I wear summer gloves year round as the handguards keep the wind chill off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Acerbis Dual Road Handguards plus heated grips work well for me. I wear summer gloves year round as the handguards keep the wind chill off.

Sweet, I like the hand guards, will give them a look. You got apic of yours, those and heated grips would be awesome. I'm not big on bulky gloves. That might be a great combination.

·
Registered
355 Posts
+4 Gerbings

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm using electric gloves this winter. Granted it doesn't get that cold in Florida, but we will have a few 30° days. The gloves are Tourmaster Synergy (got them pretty darn cheap) and picked up an adapter that hooks up to the bike's pigtails. I've got pigtails on both my bikes so I'm hoping this solution will work.

·
Registered
603 Posts
bar muffs + heated grips.

Heated gloves only go so far... they're fine for 30-40 deg days, once it gets down to the teens or so with no windblock, you'll be cold.

Bar muffs look real stupid, but they work.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Has anyone tried the chemical hand warmers?
I tried them once....absolutely worthless.

+ whatever number we are up to on the Gerbings heated stuff. I have an old school pair of heated glove liners like this one: Gerbings_Glove_Liner.jpg

I just slip them on and then put on a pair of winter gloves and I'm good to go no matter what the temp. I've ridden in temps as low as single digits fahrenheit and never had cold hands.

And even though aluminum may transfer a lot of heat, I have a hard time believing that putting heating grips on a motorcycle with aluminum bars would be a completely worthless endeavor. Heated grips are the absolute bomb! Anybody with aluminum bars with heated grips care to comment?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here are a few pics of the hand guards

The next one shows a small cut out that I needed for them to clear the radial master cylinder

1 - 20 of 29 Posts