Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As winter is here, I am concerned about the effects of the salt and sand will have on my bike, and just wanted to get people's feedback on what they use to clean and protect their bikes.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I just drive the truck when I know it's going to rain or snow. I wait a couple days after a snow so that the loose sand, gravel or salt can be blown or washed from the roads. I do try to keep a good coating of wax on the painted parts.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hose it with COLD water and apply ACF 50 to all metal parts except brakes and disks occasionally. There's a similar thread on the Sprint forum right now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I've read good things about ACF 50. While I don't ride when its wet in the winter, I do ride a few days after and don't want to mess up my new ride.

Dan

·
Registered
79 Posts
ACF is oil based but it's not sticky or particularly messy. It won't wash off unless you make a bit of an effort but after several washes you'll want to apply it again. It's easy to apply as it 'creeps' into all the hidden crevices and welds. A rag sprayed with the stuff is ideal for larger areas.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Brake calipers, peg brackets (the inner part, at least), both brake and box levers and the rear axle harware are all too susceptible to SALT corrosion on this bike. Whether you ride it or store during winter time, you want to spray a film of light oil on these items, once you have thoroughly washed the bike. Sure, oil will inevitably attract road grime, i.e. if you do keep on riding (which I do). But it'll repel salt corrosion which, as I learnt last winter (here in Switz., they pour tons of salt on roads), tends to settle in and is then next to impossible to remove.

:assimilate: Jamie

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
A very apt topic for this season, and one which is applicable to models beyond the Street Triple. For that reason, I will probably move it over to the Maintenance Tips forum in a day or two, where others can also benefit from it.

Carry on the good work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts