Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

(Near Yining, Xinjiang province, China)

UK to China trip....An opportunity to join Steve of www.motoexplorer.co.uk, who was planning to ride to the East coast of China was all I needed to celebrate my 65th birthday. Having obtained all the necessary visas and jabs and with the standard spec Tiger kitted out for the 11,000 mile overland trip we were ready for the challenge.

Highlights of the ride

As this was my first long distance ride, lessons were quickly learned. Travelling through Europe was easy, but from Romania onwards new challenges lay ahead. All the countries we went through deserved a longer time to visit, but as is the way only a fleeting glance was all we had of there culture. The hospitality of everyone we met was a humbling experience, everwilling to share their life.

In brief ...

Russia - Corrupt policeman spoilt our visit. A place to return to.
Kazakhstan...a different experience everyday, from remote villages to ultra modern cities, travelling along deserted unmade tracks through vast open spaces. Big Skies..not a place to break down.
Kyrgzstan...Unspoilt..mountains, a bikers paradise, friendly people, it has everything.
China...a country of contrasts, from the western food mountain to the tourist traps of the East, the people, the super power without a doubt. What ever you have heard about Chinas traffic is true!

Lessons learnt on the trip. .The hardest part is saying you are going to do it. The rest is easy. Travel light. Most thing can be bought locally if needed. Take plenty of local maps. Never run out of emergency rations. Learn a few words of the local language. Don't rely on mobiles to get you out of trouble. Be as self sufficient as you can.

Tigers can run on 80 grade petrol. Always keep your tank full, stop at every station if needed, it could be a long push in STAN LAND countries.

Keep a daily diary = people/places contacts.

Looking back it is difficult to put into words. 2 1/2 months of life changing experiences. I am just fortunate to be one of the few people who have travelled this route. I had more adventures in Kazakhstan alone than in a life time of riding.

Countries visited England, France, Austria, Switzerland, Hungry, Slovakia, Germany, Romania, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgzstan, China.

Bike problems:
One Blown fuse. No punctures. Trip done on one set of Tyres. Plenty of petrol but 3 litres of oil used. One set of Brake Pads. Service just a oil and filter change and a spanner up of Nuts etc Wish I had done a front suspension upgrade.

The Tiger had 9313km (5786 miles)on the clock to start and registered 26,414km (16,413 miles) at the end of the journey.

(Xinjiang province, China.)

(Crossing table mountain area in Kyrgzstan, Yurt toilet in the background)

(On the Kazakhstan/China border)

(Crossing a frozen river in Kazakhstan)

(Beijing, China)

More photo's

Thank you everyone who voted for my Tiger.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wow, looks like you had an epic trip, probably a once in a lifetime job. Just a pity you chose to do it on a 1050:p
Do Triumph know what you`ve achieved?? I`m sure they`d be interested in what one of their Tiggers could do, even if did drink a little oil;)
Ps, did you keep the receipt for the tyres strapped to bike;)

Have a well deserved pint on me:D
Pete

edit - just to add, I voted for my own... it needed all the votes it could get:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Congratulations

Congratulations on a well deserved win. I'm a fan of the new Tiger and your ride clearly showed what it is capable of. You got my vote because of the action shots, not the beauty shots.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Photobucket link just takes me to a log in page.

The ride looks fantastic from the little I've seen. I definitely envy you. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pictures :)

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
That is absolutely incredible. I loved the pictures! Well done!

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Wow, looks like you had an epic trip, probably a once in a lifetime job. Just a pity you chose to do it on a 1050:p
Do Triumph know what you`ve achieved?? I`m sure they`d be interested in what one of their Tiggers could do, even if did drink a little oil;)
they certainly seem to now, they've linked from facebook

http://www.facebook.com/OfficialTriumph?ref=nf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ps, did you keep the receipt for the tyres strapped to bike;)

Have a well deserved pint on me:D
Pete

edit - just to add, I voted for my own... it needed all the votes it could get:)
PeteH Just send me your credit card no for the bar bill! Spent a grand at local dealers getting it serviced plus spares etc Management not very interested but service man did a good job. I mentioned did they think Triumph would be interested answer was probably not. Said I was not looking for freebies They probably get asked a lot from customers going for a ride

·
Registered
890 Posts
Great ride, great pics. Looks like you had a blast.
May be your trip on the 1050 will show some of the tiger owners on this tiger forum who have older models that the 1050 is not the piece of junk they try making it out to be. Looks like it did very well with a very heavy load and some off roading to boot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.