Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just noticed a couple of hairline cracks coming from the
upper hole (fastening point) on my Triumph summer shield. Must have started when I dropped the bike a few weeks ago... The cracks are about 1/2 inch long and heading toward the edge. I know the shield is made of Lexan. Would like to stop them from progressing to the egde. Does anyone know if they can be repaired?

Michael

·
Registered
893 Posts
Are you sure you dropped the bike?? Did you buy the windshield new? Did the dealer put the windshield on? Anyway, take it back and see if warranty will cover it. Doesn't hurt to ask. You might be surprised.

Dennis

·
Registered
290 Posts
If the screws are to tight it'll make it crack as well, and with the cold we've had here in NY that wouldn't help any, Did the dealer install it? Should use blue lock-tight and just snug the screws so the shield can move with heat and the cold.

·
Registered
79 Posts
On 2007-02-23 17:25, mdr231 wrote:
So I just noticed a couple of hairline cracks coming from the
upper hole (fastening point) on my Triumph summer shield. . Would like to stop them from progressing to the egde. Does anyone know if they can be repaired?

Michael
They can be stopped from going further by drilling a small hole, 1 mm or so, at the end of each crack. Did it to my shield and it lasted another 10 years before I changed it. Good luck!

Norse

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will try the dealer first.
If that fails, I'll try the hole-drilling. The longest crack is
only about 1/4" from the edge of the shield, though. I'm
concerned that it's too close, but I guess I don't
have much to lose. Bought a 1mm bit today in case dealer
fails. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for the advice.
Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts