Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Bonneville T100, it's a beautiful bike and fun to ride but when I get up close to 70 miles an hour the wind turbulence starts to make me uneasy/uncomfortable (full disclosure, I haven't ridden in almost 40 years) so I'm taking it slow getting used to being on a bike again.
My question is can someone recommend a good unobtrusive windshield/fairing that would help buffet the wind??
I just want to make sure I can keep up or get out of the way of the flow of traffic at highway speeds.

Thanks in advance.

Ted.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Dart make a flyscreen and a larger one, the Marlin. The flyscreen works wonders for me and looks the part too. Lotsa opinions, do some research here and you'll soon be yawning.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Dart make a flyscreen and a larger one, the Marlin. The flyscreen works wonders for me and looks the part too. Lotsa opinions, do some research here and you'll soon be yawning.
I have the Marlin and it did the trick for me. I was experiencing the same things when I crossed the 60 mph range. I'd say the Marlin adds another 10 to 20 mph to your comfortable riding depending if the wind is in front or behind you. It won't do as well as a full screen but still gives you the open feeling riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Triumph branded quick release windshield and it does get the buffeting off my chest. It does however aim turbulence right at my helmet. I'm 5'9" in height and the buffeting and noise is tolerable in most road helmets but really sucks if i happen to have a peaked adv helmet on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the Marlin and now have thee International bar mount windscreen. Like it much better as it takes the chest buffeting away and throws air over Helmer. I am 5’7”.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had Triumph's the bigger quick release wind shield and it made bad feeling when cornering. Unpredictable changes in airflow. Removed it quickly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've got Dart flyscreens on my Bonneville and by CB1100. Both keep wind off my chest at all speeds, but keeps my helmet in "clean" air, so I don't experience any buffeting. On a few of my less aerodynamic helmets, I can feel slight neck strain above 80, but I don't spend much time in that speed range.

On my older cruisers with taller windshields, I was always fiddling with them to alleviate helmet buffeting, and decided that moving forward, I'd just stick with lower screens and let my head stay in the wind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried a Parabellum Scout fairing for this very reason. (sold my bonnie, 2012 T-100, and selling the Parabellum if you're interested)... It's fantastic for colder weather and highway speeds. Here are some pics from the guy i purchased it from, as well as a closeup i grabbed from the internet. It is originally red/white, but currently black -- he had it dipped with that removable plasti-paint whatever stuff. You can peel it off i guess if you want to, or paint it permanently another color... Anyhow, it's easy-on, easy off (a few bolts, and remount turn signals if you want to run the wires thru. I did; it's super easy).

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Dart flyscreen and to be honest, it doesn't really do much for me in terms of reducing wind effects. Maybe it's just because I'm tall, but I can barely tell the difference when I'm riding with it on/off the bike. If you really want a noticeable improvement, you'll want a larger windscreen, but personally that's not the look I'm going for with my bike. I just deal with the wind... you get used to it after a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just purchased a 2014 Bonneville T100, it's a beautiful bike and fun to ride but when I get up close to 70 miles an hour the wind turbulence starts to make me uneasy/uncomfortable (full disclosure, I haven't ridden in almost 40 years) so I'm taking it slow getting used to being on a bike again.
My question is can someone recommend a good unobtrusive windshield/fairing that would help buffet the wind??
I just want to make sure I can keep up or get out of the way of the flow of traffic at highway speeds.

Thanks in advance.

Ted.
Reporting Back: I ended up purchasing the Dart Marlin Wind Screen and installed it earlier this week, It seems to more or less do what I wanted it to on top of looking really sharp. Cruising along at 70-80 has become much more comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a Dart flyscreen and to be honest, it doesn't really do much for me in terms of reducing wind effects. Maybe it's just because I'm tall, but I can barely tell the difference when I'm riding with it on/off the bike. If you really want a noticeable improvement, you'll want a larger windscreen, but personally that's not the look I'm going for with my bike. I just deal with the wind... you get used to it after a while.
That's pretty much what I found as well, I think the Dart Marlin helps with the wind, it creates a small pocket that I can stay in but it certainly doesn't block the wind, but I think it looks really nice with this bike and overall I am happy I got it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've used the quick release long haul screen, and although it is high quality, well engineered and easy to install/remove, it is a bit of a disaster when it comes to buffeting.

I cut it down a lot, and it seems better, but not ideal. BUT some people seem to love it, so it's one of those very subjective areas. Wouldn't it be great if you could try out all of them over a period, and then make your mind up ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your Marlin looks sharp. I wish they would make those with a top lip that would give a little more air diversion. I have the tall Triumph detachable and it’s great for full coverage but want to get a smaller summer shield to alternate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts