Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 09 Bonneville T100. Totally love the bike. I am a new rider, this is my first bike actually. Now that I have been riding a few weeks I realize the wind directly in my chest is going to have to be dealt with. I love the look of my bike, and I dont want a large windscreen that will give it a cruiser look. Here is my question, if I just go with a flyscreen is that going to be enough to redirect the airflow up and over me...or am I going to have to go with something larger like a summer screen?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
shield

The flyscreens give you minimal but some protection, consider where you're going to be driving and for how long. If you're just doing town or local the flyscreen may be enough.
After that, your options are the summer screen, which is terribly expensive from triumph but can be found from several aftermarket suppliers for much less. I've got a summer screen on my bonnie and love it, i rarely do any freeway driving so it works for me quite well.
I probably wouldn't get a larger screen since I don't like the look of that huge plexi screen on the front especially with all that chrome support that flashes in the wind.....lol....
There are a wealth of posts on windscreens, please use your search function and you will find pictures, user reports, prices, mounting tips and aftermarket suppliers and their experience with those.
Good luck, barring any other style of screen, you can do wonders with coat hangers, saran wrap and duct tape and get a really low cost shield which any harley driver would be envious of.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Screen

A bud of mine got a NICE adjustable, quick release screen that worked real well!! I remember him telling me he got it real cheap as well! Unfortunately he passed away aa year ago & no way to find out where he got it. Keep looking- its out there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got the summer screen and really like it. It takes all of the wind pressure off of your chest while being small enough to be relatively unobtrusive. It is well below my sight line and does not detract from the lines of the bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use a memphis shades shooter on my america, comes in many colors or clear and works well. It was just a little over $100.

·
Registered
31 Posts
windscreen

If you search windscreen on the site you are going to come up with a complete cross section of people who like and don't like the screen, or are completely satisfied with that screen.(whatever the screen is)

Like you I am a relatively new rider. Just over a year.

Initially I found 45mph the wind on the chest was extreme. After 6 months I found it not to be a problem at all until 55mph.

I initially installed the national deflector screen (removeable). I played with (height and angles) and on some days I got wind buffeting to the head and others to the chest.

I changed to a dart screen and found that the wind is directed to my chest.

I wear a full face helmet. When I leave the visor up I get a touch more wind buffeting. Up to 55mph there is virtually no wind buffeting. Other days visor up there is no buffeting at all and only when I put down the visor is there buffeting.

Others on the site will give you the same information. It appears your height, the seat height, the type of helmet, the speed of the bike etc all affect how the screen will divert the wind to you.

I personally think that as a new rider, just getting used to the speed and wind against the body takes time, and then being acclimated to the wind against the chest you can get a better idea on the screen type.

Currently the dart screen works well for me. Some days I get more wind than others, but I notice as I increase the time at the higher speeds, the screen tends to improve at that speed.

FYI bonny t100 2007 red black with dart screen, kq seat. southern cal.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just purchased an 09 Bonneville T100. Totally love the bike. I am a new rider, this is my first bike actually. Now that I have been riding a few weeks I realize the wind directly in my chest is going to have to be dealt with. I love the look of my bike, and I dont want a large windscreen that will give it a cruiser look. Here is my question, if I just go with a flyscreen is that going to be enough to redirect the airflow up and over me...or am I going to have to go with something larger like a summer screen?

Any thoughts?
I think my Dart's good enough. It's not too big that it takes way from the lines of the bike. It's also not big enough to take all the wind off. It's a definite compromise.

It keeps wind of my chest, and directs it to my helmet, which increases the noise. I'm going to be doing some touring this summer and I hope that I'll be happy enough with it because I don't want to spend more $$$ and I don't want to kill the lines of the bike. I'm not a big fan of big windscreens if if they block almost all of the wind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gtorockz what model wind screen is that? I currently have the summer screen on my 09 America. I like the idea of being able to quickly and easily remove the windscreen when I want to.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gtorockz what model wind screen is that? I currently have the summer screen on my 09 America. I like the idea of being able to quickly and easily remove the windscreen when I want to.
It's a memphis shades shooter, but unfortunately it is not a quick release.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a National Cycle windscreen that my dad gave me. He had it on his 82 Harley but it just didn't look good. It looks great on my 08 T100. The one I have is not quick detach but look at the below link:

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2594A?mv_session_id=G6Wfyyq7&search_model=tr-003"

The cost of a non-detachable is only about $5 less.

I think it looks great and works for what it is. It keeps the wind off my chest. I use a full face helmet so there are no problems there. The wind starts to hit about half way up my helmet. So far I have used it for approx. 200 miles and it is great. This one will go on my CB350F as soon as I can get the detachable version.

You can find the same screen at JCWhitney for less than on the site but they say it does not fit. There are likely other places. Search for National Cycle DX and you will probably find a few threads with reviews that will help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
+1 for the DART

As some have said, there are quite a few variables involved when deciding on a screen. Riding position, IMO, plays one of the biggest roles. I replaced my stock Bonnie bars with a NB drag bar. It has no rise and therefore I lean a bit more forward. After installing the Dart, combined with the drag bar, I found the the smaller screen still worked wonders in keeping the wind of my chest, and rarely noticed it on my head, even at 55+mph. But, I'm a shorter guy (5'8"), and I'm sure that makes a difference. Nice thing about the Dart screen is it's small enough you can actually paint it to match your bike color, which in my case was a black black black (that's for you wonderdog). Kinda in keeping with the lines and style of the bike IMO. Can't exactly paint the back of a summer screen unless you are 8'2" and don't mind leaning off to the side Ave Ventura style.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Memphis Shades Demon

08 Bonneville Black, Triumph Gaiters, Memphis Shades Demon on stock bars. Easy on/off and takes wind pressure off the arms since the shield extends out to the grip areas, thus loosening your grip, thus not as tired/sore. $189.99 direct from Memphis Shades plus shipping. I know their site doesn't mention our bikes by name but it works on the 1" stock bars.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I don't like "windscreens" on Bonnies. The flyscreen that Triumph sells is what I have, some think its ugly, but I like the look.

I think that if you're going to ride a bike like a Bonnie, the wind in your face is part of the feel.

But that's my opinion, but in my opinion, mine is the only one that counts, just my opinion.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am right at the point of deciding between a Demon or Hellcat or Shooter. Too many choices. I have the blue-white SE so I am thinking of going with blue gradient. I currently have the National Flyscreen, which has better chrome than the Dart, except it says "Flyscreen" in relief right on the front which seems kinda stupid and anti-Brit understated fashion.

I have really enjoyed the bike since I got it in December but we have had a lot of spring winds here in the Bay Area since March and I got caught is some pre-rain stormy winds. I am okay in the morning riding east, but I feel like I'm in the tornado scene from Wizard of Oz in the afternoon, both because the winds kick up and I am headed west.. I put on a National Flyscreen in January and it looks okay, but the only value was taking some of the weight off my chest and transferring it to my head, so I feel like I'm getting whiplash when riding into a NNW typical wind. I did notice that believe it or not, the little shield on my Arai Quantum truly helps deflect wind from beneath the mouth area. The flyscreen increased the weird sounds to my helmet too, though it did make the Predators less noisy in my ears (that was really unexpected, but unmistakeably different).

The Memphis site says it won't sell direct to the public so I am curious at how a poster above accomplished that!?

So no, don't waste $100 on a flyscreen if you have appreciable wind in your ride BEYOND the regular blast from going forward, which is okay AND are a regular rider, not just for weekend fun. I am commuting so it's important to me. It gets old, fast. And by the way, if you mount the National FLyscreen as directed, you scratch up the mounting area with their zig-zag pressure washers. That bugged me, but I did it anyway. I think the original Triumph washer will cover the damage though if I go over to the Memphis. It (damaged paint area) will rust unless I paint it.

PS. I am only 5'7" and have stock h-bars. Flyscreen is just raked a bit back.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bay,
I have a Hellcat (black gradient) on my blue and white SE. I think it looks good and keeps the wind down under normal conditions. I start getting some head buffeting at 90MPH (indicated) or in heavy west wind at 70-75MPH. I'm 5'6"

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Memphis direct

They sold right to me; I just called, I think it was near Miami, a guy answered a few questions, took my info, and it arrived. I was surprised, but whatever.

I only use for big rides because I've replaced 5 car windshields in 10 years on NJ/NY highways from flying rocks...no way do I want one in the chest or face shield so if anything it will slow down a projectile plus taking some pressure of the chest and arms on 10 hour runs.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
When I got the T100, I was wearing a half helmet and at over 80 kmh I felt like I was sliding back on the seat while hanging on. Wasn't the most comfortable experience at least for me.

I then got the Triumph flyscreen and a full face (transition) helmet. Huge difference.

The bike is more steady, the wind feels like about 60-70% reduced and I can ride in my normal gear rather than pulling out my rubber suit.

Never tried the dart but would recommend the Triumph Flyscreen.

I am 6' tall

1 - 20 of 23 Posts