Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs Tipsi and I are off on a trip too Italy from the UK soon, although I prefer the look of my America without a screen I'm thinking that all day at high speed it might be an advantage, anybody tried one with and without before I speed my hard earned beer tokens ?? Oh, I'm a six footer if that makes any difference ! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
windscreen

Tipsi, although I have not traveled any distance without a screen I would recommend it. My America had the Triumph Roadster screen when purchased new. I have traveled a bit on it, 500 miles at the most in a single day. I am about 5'8" and had noticeable head buffeting with the factory screen. Thinking less might be more on the America I cut the factory Roadster screen down my 3". I still get wind but it is more evenly spread across my chest and head. 500 miles is much easier now on the America. I think a screen would be desired, the question for you might be which screen. Let's see what others think.
Went from the same Roadster screen on my Bonneville to a Dart fly screen. The small screen was great around town but I think it would have been very tiring on a long ride.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've ridden with and without a windshield, and much prefer the windshield, especially in colder/wet weather and on long rides.

Check here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/cruisers-...learview-windshield-and-lower-deflectors.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/cruisers-america-speedmaster/167464-finding-lower-air-deflectors.html

Lower deflectors pretty much put you in a bubble, pretty much eliminating excess wind noise, weather, and turbulence. For optimum performance, the top of the windshield should be no higher than the tip of your nose. Mine is at my upper lip. The Clearview shield I use is 2" wider than stock. The extra width of the windshield and wider lower deflectors help keep the airflow smoother for my wife that rides with me.

The Clearview windshield uses the same Triumph mounting brackets. I bought the brackets separately as parts.

HTH,
H.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a qiuck release roadster screen fitted to my 2011 america, it's good. I'm a 6 footer too & have no problems with it, keeps the windblast & flies off, & can be removed in a second, so you can leave it in the hotel room in Italy, also it's not huge. My last bike(yam xvs1300) had a switchblade screen which caused a lot of buffeting at speeds over 60mph-no such trouble with the triumph screen, comfy at 85+, can send you a pic if you want. Enjoy the trip. Tony

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did a 200 mile ride today with my Brother and my Dad. It was about 95 today. They both have large screens on their bikes and got really hot.

I made a windshield for my bike. I wanted it to keep the wind off my chest and direct the wind up towards the top of my head so I would still get plenty of wind for summer riding, but not have that feeling of getting pushed off the bike on the interstate.

I stayed nice and cool as long as we were moving and they both took turns riding my bike to cool off.

It took a couple of tries to get the right height, but it is made just for me and works perfectly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

I have the Quick release Summer Screen on my America 2011 and I am 6 feet, it is a complete waist of money. The buffeting is so loud so that you have to have ear protection when riding above 60 miles. Don't buy that on.

Bo

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tony, is that a triumph screen or an aftermarket one ? I like the idea of a quick release screen as long as it works ok.
Paul

·
Registered
53 Posts
screen

Yep, mines a Triumph roadster screen, on the Triumph site they refer to it as a 'look through' screen, but you'd have to be a midget to look through it! However if you use 'create my triumph' on the Triunph website it looks huge ( I nearly didn't buy it cos of how tall it looked) it's 41cm high & 52cm wide & looks fine on the bike & it's a doddle to remove-so easy that Triumph also sell a locking kit for it!.
You could also check out switchblade sreens by national cycle, I had one on my xvs1300, a similar height but a little wider, as i said had problems with buffetting, but that could also be down to the size & shape of the bike, they are also quick detach, by giving a good sharp tug, look at www.customcruisers.com-cheaper than Triumph too.
ps. I found the buffetting problems on my xvs were helped by changing helmets,switched from a Shoei raid to a Davida Jet & goggles. oh if you want a pic let me have your email. Regards Tony

·
Registered
675 Posts
You could also check out switchblade sreens by national cycle, I had one on my xvs1300, a similar height but a little wider, as i said had problems with buffetting, but that could also be down to the size & shape of the bike, they are also quick detach, by giving a good sharp tug, look at www.customcruisers.com-cheaper than Triumph too.
ps. I found the buffetting problems on my xvs were helped by changing helmets,switched from a Shoei raid to a Davida Jet & goggles. oh if you want a pic let me have your email.
I have the Chopped Switchblade on my Speedmaster. I think it's the extra width that helps eliminate buffeting. I've tried lowers and, personally, I think the buffeting got a little worse. Maybe the lowers were just too short? Maybe it was the helmet? Could have just been where and how I had them mounted and angled. I'm interested to see if lowers with a different helmet are smoother.

In any case, the Chopped windscreen was the right height for me and the missus hasn't complained about too much wind when we use it. When the weather gets warm, I pop the windshield off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a lot of buffetting with the chopped switchblade on my xvs1300, the change in helmet made quite a difference. I read on forums that it was due to screen causing drop in air pressure around the tank (vacuum effect) No such trouble on the Triumph tho, still wearing the Davida however as now prefer an open face lid.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just won a triumph roadster screen on eBay for £165, so buffeting vacuums and vortexes we will see in a few days time, worse case it goes back on eBay ! It seem there are so many factors, height, pillion, helmet sometimes you just gotta suck it and see !

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Screen arrived today, half and hour or so to bolt it on and then a test ride. My first thoughts are its nice not to have the wind pressure against my body, visor up at 60mph without eyes running and of course the lack of bugs on the visor, but get up to 70mph + and there is an awful lot of buffeting, I think more than I would be able to cope with on a long high speed journey. It was only the fist trip out, only a short one and it was a windy day so I will stick with it for a while. I like the lack of wind pressure against my body so maybe if I reduced the height of the screen by a couple of inches ? Anyone tried this ????

·
Registered
602 Posts
Lower deflectors will probably help with the buffeting.

H.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lower deflectors ? I'm thinking this isn't a triumph part but might be worth a go before I start cutting the screen about, any idea where I might find some to fit my trusty steed ?

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Lower deflectors ? I'm thinking this isn't a triumph part but might be worth a go before I start cutting the screen about, any idea where I might find some to fit my trusty steed ?
In the third post in this thread I posted a couple links about lower deflectors. There's some really good info in those links that could help point you in the right direction. Worth a read.

I believe Memphis Shades also make smaller deflectors that some people have used with success as well.

http://www.memphisshades.com/lowers

The mounting kit info is also in the links I supplied in my earlier post.

HTH,
H.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just as an experiment I think I'll give my bike a bit of a blast down a dual carriageway wearing the shoei, just to seee if the buffetting probs come back, tho there is a difference between the 2010 & 2011 bike & screen ( my seat height's a bit lower) they are roughly the same, this might help you in making a decision about what to try next. Tho won't be able to try this until the weekend (weather permitting!) as I'm a bit busy at the mo.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry H I did see your post after posted mine, had a bit of a search for clearview but had trouble finding a supplier in the UK, I think taller would certainly help and using the same brackets a bonus.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks ws, I've got an old shoei kicking around somewhere, I'll dig it out too and give it a go, could be interesting .....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts