Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get the grommets for the windcreen for my 07 Sprint? They are rubber with a threaded brass insert. I can get genuine, but they don't have them in stock and they want a deposit AND they cost about $9 each (I need two) which sounds a bit steep. They said I can get them generically, but don't know where...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Anyone know where I can get the grommets for the windcreen for my 07 Sprint? They are rubber with a threaded brass insert. I can get genuine, but they don't have them in stock and they want a deposit AND they cost about $9 each (I need two) which sounds a bit steep. They said I can get them generically, but don't know where...
You can get aftermarket grommets in several colors for under $10 for a 6 pack. They are available at most any motorcycle shop. I got mine at a local Yamaha shop. I couldn't believe how expensive they were from Triumph.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
They do not come in various colors. They are black. They are a common hardware item and are stocked under several names. The most common name for them is Well-Nut(s). They should be available at any hardware store. I can not remember what they cost, but they are cheap.

·
Registered
368 Posts
They do not come in various colors. They are black. They are a common hardware item and are stocked under several names. The most common name for them is Well-Nut(s). They should be available at any hardware store. I can not remember what they cost, but they are cheap.
Ok OND, I guess the red, blue, black, and clear ones I saw hanging on the wall were a figment of my imagination. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :rolleyes:

Here are some of the diff colored bolts/fasteners available

http://www.bikebolts.com/Sample/SAMPLE.htm

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
You just can not seem to understand that the question was not about the bolts.

The OP specifically asked about the " rubber with a threaded brass insert" items. That was what my reply addressed.

No need to be sarcastic just because you misunderstood the question.

Geesh!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was referring him toward the bolt/grommet kit which comes colored (the bolts obviously). I understood the question fine. I was just pointing him towards the kit which comes with everything he needs for less than the price of 1 grommet from Triumph. No sarcasm intended, it was just a smiley rolling his eyes. :) Oh and I found the actual brand that I used. Here is the link. It's the alloy 6 bolt screen kit on top.

http://www.tastynuts.com/site/frames/frameset_shoponline.htm

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I know them as well nuts as well. In my stores they are supplied by Papco (HP Paulin) which is a huge fastener company here in NA. Carried in most Home Depot, NAPA, Rona, Home Hardware and various other parts stores. They are black with a brass threaded insert.

I don't really care what color bolts you put in them but the Triumph ones are plastic and unless you lube them up a touch before you screw them in the well nuts just spin. Use saliva. Just a little on the tip and they screw in nice and easy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoah whoah whoah guys...play nice.... Thanks everyone for your help and as Calliway unintentionally implied.... Spit happens.....:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Although you can buy variously coloured metal bolts for the windshield, they were fitted with plastic ones on the original bike so that if you occidentally go through it in an accident, the bolts sheer quickly and doesn't become your very own personal guillotine.:eek:

I'll keep the plastic ones myself.:)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I have no idea if you are right or wrong on this?
Maybe you could quote your source?

And does this mean that the other marques that use metal fixings to secure their windscreens are in some sort of violation, or have no concern for customers losing their heads?

I know two dissents do not establish a trend, but I have to wonder if you are against modifications to a bike, and if so, why?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I am going to write Mythbusters and see if they can prove this! I think it would make for an interesting episode. "Can a Motorcycle Windsheild Decapatate You"?

It's an interesting concept....

BTW King Key - Post pics of your ride. I would like to see a better picture of the paint job.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
I have never heard of someone being guillo'd by their fairing screen.

I do however have personal experience with an ex police fairing on a Honda 750 I had once, when a car ran a stop sign I hit it hard, wrote the bike off and cut my leg on the fairing on the way over the bars.

When you hit like a car, truck bus or whatever or highside, my experience (I have too much), is that you tend to go upwards and forwards rather than straight ahead.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
OldandDumb said:
I have no idea if you are right or wrong on this?
Maybe you could quote your source?

I've been racking my brain, I saw it only a few weeks ago, but for the life of me I can't remember where. If it comes to me I'll put it up.
I remember the flat tabs on the screen further down that clip in to the cockpit, being referred to as 'snap off tabs', they have been machined a lot thinner than the main screen, and in the event of a person going through it snap off along with the plastic screws.

Possibly decapitation is an exaggeration, but I guess making the screen bolts in plastic like a type of 'fuse' was intended to prevent further injury. In these days of litigation who knows what a claimant would come up with, blaming Triumph for making the fixings too strong. (rolling eyes smillie required).

In the same way the bolts that hold on the mirrors on my Daytona have been machined from brass with a cut deliberately made to weaken them so in the event of an accident they snap off to reduce injury.

Calliway, a few pictures of the paint job are here. The white bits are vehicle wrap that decal & signage people use, it can be removed if I sell the bike or change my mind.

http://www.t595.net/album/album.asp?album=8944

How do you upload photos to this site? I looked in the FAQ and in my profile, couldn't find anything.:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts