Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
No it's fair - I've run Spy<bot anti-beacon for yonks. I just don't see why I should be feeding them all my info. At the minute I'm running NMap to see what traffic goes where and try to suss out what unwelcome and uninvited traffic I should block.
If you run Spybot (I don't run it any more since it went paid, so I've done everything manually) that will list all of the telemetry hosts. There are 115 in total, if I remember correctly.

You can also monitor activity on open ports by using the netstat command, or better still, a freeware tool called CurrPorts from NirSoft. This little tool will also list the process that opened the port and let you close connections or save the connection info.

IMO this kind of thing is just plain abuse of its own customers by Microsoft. After all Windows is a paid for product - a portion of the cost of a new PC which has Widows pre-installed goes to pay for the Windows license. I know that Microsoft are not the only ones doing this in one form or another, but if I pay for a product then I do not expect it to be spying on me and selling on the information.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Let me introduce you to Windows Core.
You can't introduce anyone to something that does not exist, at least not in the usable sense... yet. For those who don't know, Windows Core is an open source development by Microsoft to unify the Windows operating system across all devices (think Android) and the intention is for Core to be the future of W10. There will not be a Windows 11. So its a few years off yet.

·
Registered
290 Posts
No - windows core (more formally known as windows server core) is the Windows Server OS without the UI. In the linux world, one might run ubuntu server without gnome desktop.

Windows Server core comes on the server cd and has done for several years.

Windows Core as pointed out is the client edition due out later this year (although I believe this has a UI).

One can aslo get Windows nano server

and even go back to bare metal with Hyper-v server.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
No - windows core (more formally known as windows server core) is the Windows Server OS without the UI. In the linux world, one might run ubuntu server without gnome desktop.

Windows Server core comes on the server cd and has done for several years.

Windows Core as pointed out is the client edition due out later this year (although I believe this has a UI).

One can aslo get Windows nano server

and even go back to bare metal with Hyper-v server.
I beg to differ. This is quite different than simply a server OS without a UI. This will have a basic UI and its aim is to unify the Windows OS across all devices, basically the same way that Android works and its not proprietary like Windows Server or desktop editions, its open source. I hear that it may be capable of running Android apps. Its still under development as far as I can tell, and there is no official release date yet. This is roughly a summary of what I can find out about it as of November last year. I haven't been following it since hearing about a new version of Windows brings on uncontrollable yawning.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My point really, having spent many years being an OS developer was really to point out there is no real difference between different vendors implimentations.

in answering the original question though. The reason why it is important to update to a new OS version and to keep it update is to minimise the chance of some nefarious individual leveraging an unpatched exploit to access the device.

·
Driftless Admin
11,428 Posts
Well, in terms of infrastructure @andyw, I suppose you could make the case that the OS'es are similar. I wouldn't, but it could merit discussion.

But for consumers, they are very different in terms of usability, availability of tools, ease-of-maintenance, culture and so on. Linux has always been on the verge of being suitable as a mainstream consumer product, and it will always be on the verge of that. Reminds me of Drew Bledsoe, I feel like he was on the verge of being a great quarterback his entire career. They always talked about it, but it never materialized. Linux has been "almost there" for at least 20 years.

I'm an MS guy too, basically because my employer is. There's good stuff there. But, they are and will always be MS trying to take over the world. This kind of stuff does not erupt from the Linux ecosystem, using their market share to attempt to force the use of their search engine:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Linux has always been on the verge of being suitable as a mainstream consumer product, and it will always be on the verge of that. Reminds me of Drew Bledsoe, I feel like he was on the verge of being a great quarterback his entire career. They always talked about it, but it never materialized. Linux has been "almost there" for at least 20 years.
Linux has always been 'there', the whole thing just works in a different way - that is to say, FOSS works in a different way, Linux developers don't care if its not right for you, because they develop for themselves. The biggest strength of FOSS is the ability to change or add to code to suit yourself, so Linux developers have no interest in market shares or satisfying everyone. This article, although quite a long read, gives an interesting insight.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts